Are there "advanced" classes in college?

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You know how in high school everyone wants to take honors/AP? Yeah. When you are in college, do they separate classes like this? Are there classes for stupid college students? and classes for very intelligent college students? I can't really explain it any other way than this.

Bacchus

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
100 and 200 level classes are usually the "general" classes. As you progress in your major you'll get into 300 and 400 level classes. There are specific classes for specific majors. Freshmen year when everyone takes chemistry, chemistry majors won't take the same class as the other majors, usually.

Docere

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
To expand on what Bacchus said, 300 and 400 courses are usually more specific and will require you to get the basics of 100 and 200 courses in order to get in the class AND pass with a decent grade. For example, general biology is a 100 class. Then you might feel like progressing to a 200 class such as microbiology. Then maybe progress to 300 class genetics and then subsequently a 400 class such as cell biology.

Also, there are sometimes two types of classes for each 100 course. For example, where I go to college there is 100-level General Biology and another 100-level General Biology for Non-Science Majors. Same goes for Calculus (Business calculus vs. non-business calculus) and Physics (calculus-based vs. general). Make sure you watch out for that when you sign up for classes. You will not get the credit for the course you need if you take the other one.

About the Ads

desidp12

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2008
Joisey
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
at my UG school, we have something called the Honors School. (i think most if not all schools do). You get admitted to the school when you are a freshman or u can apply into it in any other year (need 3.5 gpa or above). We are required to take some classes that are 'honors'. These classes are english, western civ, gender studies, math, psychology, anthro, etc. They are usually much smaller (20 students max) and are much more discussion based rather than lecture based. You are also graded in comparison to your peers. and we have something new this year, cluster classes: english and western civ. both classes have similar themes and each is reiterated in the other. for example, if the western civ class discusses the epic of gilgamesh, you read it in english. its pretty cool...

Docere

10+ Year Member
Oct 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
at my UG school, we have something called the Honors School. (i think most if not all schools do). You get admitted to the school when you are a freshman or u can apply into it in any other year (need 3.5 gpa or above). We are required to take some classes that are 'honors'. These classes are english, western civ, gender studies, math, psychology, anthro, etc. They are usually much smaller (20 students max) and are much more discussion based rather than lecture based. You are also graded in comparison to your peers. and we have something new this year, cluster classes: english and western civ. both classes have similar themes and each is reiterated in the other. for example, if the western civ class discusses the epic of gilgamesh, you read it in english. its pretty cool...

Ah yes, we have those too. The Honors College. There's Honors pretty much everything: organic chemistry, biology, chemistry, etc. Classes are smaller so there's more opportunity for one-on-one with the professor. However, this also means that if the professor curves the grades, there would be only one or two As in each class. Honors students are also required to go to a lecture every week about some sort of great work of literature and meet again to discuss the lecture and the reading. Most people see it as a waste of time. The only thing you really get from it is an extra cord at graduation.

Twiigg

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
A distant tree..
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical

:thumbup: Yup. Many universities, including mine, have a program such as this that lets you graduate "with honors." Mine requires a number of honors classes as well as a Senior thesis.

Would you guys recommend doing the Honors Program at the university? I am currently debating it myself.
Only if it's got good perks. My school's honors college has good perks - extra scholarships, EARLY REGISTRATION, small classes with established faculty, etc. If you don't like the classes though and there aren't any worthwhile perks, bail out. Nobody is going to be impressed with your honors degree. It was worth it for me to register early, because my undergrad was huge, and classes could fill really fast and leave you without any options.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Only if it's got good perks. My school's honors college has good perks - extra scholarships, EARLY REGISTRATION, small classes with established faculty, etc. If you don't like the classes though and there aren't any worthwhile perks, bail out. Nobody is going to be impressed with your honors degree. It was worth it for me to register early, because my undergrad was huge, and classes could fill really fast and leave you without any options.

I concur. I was in the honors program for the early registration, never did any work towards the honors degree, but they kept me on the list for early registration for some reason.

At least at my school the honors courses are basically regular course plus a paper due at the end of the term.

KempDrumsalot

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, from what I have heard our Honor's Program is basically perk-less. There is the benefit of smaller classes with some other honors students, but the class sizes are generally small anyways. It requires more work (Well, they say it's not more "work" just more thinking critically), attending some-what boring seminars, and a thesis paper if I remember correctly. However, they do go out on alot of trips and stuff like that, which would make for a nice break every now and then.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Okay, couple of questions.

Someone mentioned a 3.5 GPA. Does that mean if you want to get into the honors program at your uni, you have to graduate with a 3.5+ at your HS?

I will probably go to the University of Kentucky. Prowler, you mentioned that if the program is not that great that you should drop it. Then you said it doesn't matter if you have an honors degree or not. Having honors/AP, dual enrollment in HS DOES help to get you into a good UG. But will an honors diploma help me get into medical school (or any other professional school for that matter)? If not, then what is the point?

Here is a link to the honors program at UK:http://www.uky.edu/Honors/

I'm not sure what to look for but you could probably tell me if it is worth looking into.

DrYoda

Space Cowboy
10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2008
Dagobah System
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Someone mentioned a 3.5 GPA. Does that mean if you want to get into the honors program at your uni, you have to graduate with a 3.5+ at your HS?

To start college in the honors program you have to meet the HS GPA requirement. At least at my school you can join later and the criteria will be that your undergrad GPA is a 3.5 and highschool won't be taken into account.

Then you said it doesn't matter if you have an honors degree or not. Having honors/AP, dual enrollment in HS DOES help to get you into a good UG.
Dual enrollment helps because it shows you can handle college level course work. Honors degrees don't show that you can handle med school course work, that's what I see as the difference.

But will an honors diploma help me get into medical school (or any other professional school for that matter)? If not, then what is the point?
It certainly can't hurt, but it won't be much of a help. I would rather have a 3.7 non-honors than a 3.6 honors. There are perks which are nice like early registration which is why I was in the honors program at my school.

Here is a link to the honors program at UK:http://www.uky.edu/Honors/

I'm not sure what to look for but you could probably tell me if it is worth looking into.

It has priority registration which I really liked (basically you get to sign up for classes earlier than the general population, makes it easier to get the scheduel you like). It looks fairly standard as far as honors programs go, if your interested in doing and honors program than it seems alright.

KempDrumsalot

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Illinois
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Here's a quick link to mine if you wish to check it out:
http://www.bradley.edu/honors/

Cons:No early registration, no scholorships, more "thinking" involved, doesn't help with Med School application much, if any, Seminars are generally pointless/a waste of time.
Pros: Some smaller classes (even though classes are general small since it's a private), trips and get togethers, access to required amount of seminars

But will an honors diploma help me get into medical school (or any other professional school for that matter)? If not, then what is the point?
No, it won't. I'm quite sure it made no difference.

The point is you either enjoy the classes (I did) or you like the perks (I did - got an honors scholarship and the early registration every semester). If you don't have either, then it's pointless.

CScull

Is Positive, O Positive
10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2008
Taco Bell-ish
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Okay, couple of questions.

Honors colleges are extremely competitive. Almost all of the students applying for them at state colleges will have very good test scores and GPA; or a very good excuse for not excelling. It may not make a big difference getting into med school but it probably will help you with your classes once your in.

Alabama has an honors college. Normal ACT scores for regular acceptance are a 21-24 honors college wants at least a 28. GPA for regular 2.9-3.2; honors college only accepts those over a 3.3. This is just for the basic Honors college though... they have 3 levels. Their normal load is 18 hours instead of 16.

Honors students (at Bama at least) have special dorms; smaller classes... basically what has been already stated.

Bama's a very mid-range college though if you were going for a more competitive school than it would be much more difficult to get into the Honors program there.

Ashers

Bacteria? Don't exist.
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Land of Entrapment
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
University of Arizona had a good honors college. I got into it without applying for it, so I have no idea what their requirements were. (It was also 10 years ago.)

As many of the previous posters said, the honors program had:
-Early registration (with the Juniors)
-6 month library check out
-Separate honors dorms where honors college students had priority (didn't mean they were any more studious than the others)
-Separate honors advisors
**class and career advice
-Honors college only computer labs (when no one had lap tops or wireless internet)
-Free printing/copying at the Honors College building
-The ability to change ANY course into an honors course
**limited amount of credits that could be made into honors/year or some other limit
-Honors courses in just about any class
-Grad level classes = honors
-Honors thesis required for graduation
**The research helped me secure more research in between M1/M2 year
-Not required to do anything to stay in the honors college except maintain a cumulative 3.5GPA and be a full time student
**My roommate did that

The only downside I saw was that the science labs had a lot of weird stuff, like reading novels in biology, so I just turned classes into honors classes.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.