You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are there any 3 Year medical school
Started by kikidun21
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I doubt it. It would be really tough to learn everything you need to know for med school in only 3 years.There are several health professional program offering an accelerated 3 year option. Does anyone know of any 3 year medical schools?
There are several health professional program offering an accelerated 3 year option. Does anyone know of any 3 year medical schools?
No.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Best bet for a shortcut is India...you don't need to do a bachelor degree, you can go straight to med school (4 years) and be done at age 22 😱
Best bet for a shortcut is India...you don't need to do a bachelor degree, you can go straight to med school (4 years) and be done at age 22 😱
yeah great deal... if you want to practice in India.
yeah great deal... if you want to practice in India.
Actually last I looked about 20% of the IMGs that take US residencies are from India, I THINK that is more than any other country, not sure why though...
I didn't say I would do it, just that its a shortcut 😀
There is a DO school called LECOM-Erie that offers a 3yr medical degree for those interested in Primary Care. They cram a lot into the summer months and skip some of the specialty rotations. I heard there were some MD schools that used to offer a similar program but I don't think any currently do.
There are several health professional program offering an accelerated 3 year option. Does anyone know of any 3 year medical schools?
No - no US allo program I am aware of does this. And you wouldn't really want to go there even if a program did offer it. Actually there is so much to learn in medicine these days (as compared to when the 4 year model was set up) that it's a wonder they don't up it to 5 years.
A couple of decades ago, there used to be accellerated 2 year programs (no vacations, few weekends) for folks who already had PhDs, but for a variety of reasons, the accrediting organizations put those to sleep.
No - no US allo program I am aware of does this. And you wouldn't really want to go there even if a program did offer it. Actually there is so much to learn in medicine these days (as compared to when the 4 year model was set up) that it's a wonder they don't up it to 5 years.
A couple of decades ago, there used to be accellerated 2 year programs (no vacations, few weekends) for folks who already had PhDs, but for a variety of reasons, the accrediting organizations put those to sleep.
....sigh....if only I had applied 20 year ago 🙁
Actually last I looked about 20% of the IMGs that take US residencies are from India, I THINK that is more than any other country, not sure why though...
I didn't say I would do it, just that its a shortcut 😀
I'd wager that statistic is true mostly because of the sheer volume of doctors coming out of india (huge population with an apparent genetic disposition to become doctors...)
I remember that the U of Minnesota had a 3.5 year medical program. I don't know if they still have the program, but supposedly you cram all the summers to skip one semester.
seems like a bad trade off
I remember that the U of Minnesota had a 3.5 year medical program. I don't know if they still have the program, but supposedly you cram all the summers to skip one semester.
Well, there's really only 1 summer to be crammed, unless they don't study for Step 1. I sure wouldn't want to try to fit a half year into my first year summer.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd wager that statistic is true mostly because of the sheer volume of doctors coming out of india (huge population with an apparent genetic disposition to become doctors...)
I've got a couple of friends from there who are from well off families...they were told from birth that its either doctor, businessman, or engineer. 🙄
YES YOU CAN!!!
You can do 3 years at Ohio State with their independent study program by doing all the first 2 year classes in 1 year.
You can do 3 years at Ohio State with their independent study program by doing all the first 2 year classes in 1 year.
E
Eric Lindros
No - no US allo program I am aware of does this. And you wouldn't really want to go there even if a program did offer it. Actually there is so much to learn in medicine these days (as compared to when the 4 year model was set up) that it's a wonder they don't up it to 5 years.
A couple of decades ago, there used to be accellerated 2 year programs (no vacations, few weekends) for folks who already had PhDs, but for a variety of reasons, the accrediting organizations put those to sleep.
Nobody would want to do it, and nobody could afford it.
McMast University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada has a three medical school program. It is actually quite excellent.
There are several health professional program offering an accelerated 3 year option. Does anyone know of any 3 year medical schools?
There's an easy answer... Stewart School of Medicine. 2 years and 10 months, sunny California. All the advantages and prestige of a Caribbean medical school but now in California.
As far as I'm concerned, any school with a secret class location and a board almost entirely related to each other is clearly the superior school choice. 😀
That website is hilarious...There's an easy answer... Stewart School of Medicine. 2 years and 10 months, sunny California. All the advantages and prestige of a Caribbean medical school but now in California.
As far as I'm concerned, any school with a secret class location and a board almost entirely related to each other is clearly the superior school choice. 😀
Ever notice how the testimonials are usually from people directly associated with the school, and I love this example they site of "Stewart in the news"
It's an advertisement they placed.
edit: wow, they didn't even try here... http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/LATimespgB61.12.07.pdf
That website is hilarious...
Ever notice how the testimonials are usually from people directly associated with the school, and I love this example they site of "Stewart in the news"
It's an advertisement they placed.
edit: wow, they didn't even try here... http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/LATimespgB61.12.07.pdf
Every month or so, I try my very hardest to remind other SDN visitors of what an opportunity they're missing. I'm expecting a consultant check to arrive in the mail from an undisclosed location any day now...
That website is hilarious...
Ever notice how the testimonials are usually from people directly associated with the school, and I love this example they site of "Stewart in the news"
It's an advertisement they placed.
edit: wow, they didn't even try here... http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/LATimespgB61.12.07.pdf
We'll see whether you are still laughing when you are working under an attending from Stewart in a few years.
We'll see whether you are still laughing when you are working under an attending from Stewart in a few years.![]()
I'll start taking them seriously when the school actually gets IMG accreditation and an .edu address, rather than claiming they're on the way. 🙄
There are several health professional program offering an accelerated 3 year option. Does anyone know of any 3 year medical schools?
The University of Minnesota (Twin Cities) Medical School has a "Fexible MD" program that allows you to get your MD in as little as 3.5 years or as much as 6 years for the same cost as anyone doing it in the regular 4 years.
http://www.meded.umn.edu/admissions/flex_md.cfm
That website is hilarious...
Ever notice how the testimonials are usually from people directly associated with the school, and I love this example they site of "Stewart in the news"
It's an advertisement they placed.
edit: wow, they didn't even try here... http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/LATimespgB61.12.07.pdf
When I started reading this thread, I was just waiting for Stewart to be brought up. Also, has anyone else noticed that the picture on the front page has their students learning about the very difficulut issues of...
Mendelian Genetics! Dear god, not a dihybrid cross!
In all seriousness, there are programs out there that allow for enough customization that lean more towards 3 versus 4 years, depending on how you schedule your rotations. Duke, was already brought up (which allows a year off) or schools like Baylor and Penn allow customization at the end.
Best bet for a shortcut is India...you don't need to do a bachelor degree, you can go straight to med school (4 years) and be done at age 22 😱
It is not 4 years. It is 5.5 years. Then you still have to do residency.
McMaster
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Back in the 70s some schools had 3 year programs because the government gave them money to pump out doctors faster or something. But people didn't really have a choice--my dad got accepted and then later found out that they had put him into the 3 year class. So, they just didn't have summers and went straight through.
When I started reading this thread, I was just waiting for Stewart to be brought up. Also, has anyone else noticed that the picture on the front page has their students learning about the very difficulut issues of...
Mendelian Genetics! Dear god, not a dihybrid cross!![]()
In all seriousness, there are programs out there that allow for enough customization that lean more towards 3 versus 4 years, depending on how you schedule your rotations. Duke, was already brought up (which allows a year off) or schools like Baylor and Penn allow customization at the end.
Oh lord... what a poor excuse for a website, and a "med school."
A med school website designed by "Godmama's" (http://godmomasforge.com/) certainly inspires confidence.
"Kick off your shoes and take a walk on the clean and refreshing sandy beach past the volley ball courts, or just take a book and sit a while, as you watch the ocean surf. Want to picnic lunch at the beach? Here's the best spot!"
Some gems from the testimonials
"Congratulations on your success with the new school. Best of luck with your future endeavors. Elizabeth Bulat, American Medical Student studying abroad""Good Luck in the development of your new school. Jorge A. Moreno, PH.D""I fully understand the nature of your new school and would be most interested. Roger Masser, DPM""Bill, Congrats on the success of your school. I want to wish you the very best Adam D. Gomez IV, International Medical Student"
Haha real professional, Bill. Someone should try submitting this type of essay to real Med schools http://www.stewartmed.org/studentessay.html.
Truly exemplary writing throughout the website too. Do they actually fool anyone?
"If you call the State of California, they will not say that they recognize Stewart University because Stewart University is above the standard of the state... We operate completely legal [sic, legally maybe?]. The state of California does not have the authority to recognize our stature - they only have jurisdiction over California state schools."
"When attending a professional medical school, the medical student does not transfer classes and credits, as they would while attending under graduate schools... Therefore, accrediation is really not applicable, because medical schools do not readily accept transfers [sic, accreditation?]." Nice reasoning!
"Stewart University has decided that since the MCAT as a predictor of success in medical school has been proven by many investigators to be irrelevant" what?
"Q: Is a Bachelor's degree required for admission to Stewart University School of Medicine?
A: No." Do I need a GED or HS diploma either?
"Q: Does Stewart University School of Medicine accept transfer students from other medical schools?
A: Yes." wait I thought you don't transfer as a med student? Contradicting oneself is the best way to build credibility.
"Q: Where are the clinical rotations being done?
A: Clinical rotations are the least concern of a new applicant to medical school. ... The clinical rotations can take place in a variety of locations throughout the United States or elsewhere in the world - where the medical student desires." AKA nowhere.
"The Stewart University campus is on a sovereign Indian reservation in Lake County, CA, which we believe WHO will recognize sometime this semester."
I especially like their analysis of the residency match system
"Q: After I graduate from Stewart University medical school, who can I work with?
A: Once graduated you will apply for a residency training program. Since there are at least 10,000 residency slots that go unfilled every year, and the government pays the hospitals $150,000. per year for every resident they train, you will easily be able to get into a residency training program. For that 3 years you will practice training under a hospital supervision and finish taking your USMLE, Step-2 and Step-3 licensing exams.
At the conclusion of 3 years of your paid residency training, you apply for an unrestricted license to practice medicine an surgery in the state of your choosing.
Currently hospital residency are paid approximately $50,000 per year in salary in the US. So hospitals make approximately $100,000. from federal grant money, on each resident that they hire into their residency training programs. So you will not have any problems obtaining a residency. The hospitals will want you, because they will make money off of you. "
Anyone stupid enough to believe anything on this website truly deserves an MD from Stewart (is there anyone stupid enough, do they actually have students?)!
That website is hilarious...
Ever notice how the testimonials are usually from people directly associated with the school, and I love this example they site of "Stewart in the news"
It's an advertisement they placed.
edit: wow, they didn't even try here... http://www.stewartmed.org/documents/LATimespgB61.12.07.pdf
This is my favorite line from the first page: Stewart University is the first medical school to open west of the Missippi in the past 45 years.SM
That's a quote. Maybe it is the first medical school to open west of the Missippi in the past 45 years - wherever that is, but I know of several schools west of the Mississippi that are newer than that!


I'd wager that statistic is true mostly because of the sheer volume of doctors coming out of india (huge population with a cultural disposition to become doctors...)
fixed
There's an easy answer... Stewart School of Medicine. 2 years and 10 months, sunny California. All the advantages and prestige of a Caribbean medical school but now in California.
As far as I'm concerned, any school with a secret class location and a board almost entirely related to each other is clearly the superior school choice. 😀
Wow. I think they spelled Mississippi wrong in the first paragraph or so. Scary that they're turning out doctors.
The most disturbing thing about Stewart is that all of their 2nd year faculty positions are "pending"...and apparently they only have four 1st year faculty members, too.
I know this was asked a while ago, but as far as 3 year programs go, if you come in with a PhD you can graduate from Duke Med in 3 years.
I know this was asked a while ago, but as far as 3 year programs go, if you come in with a PhD you can graduate from Duke Med in 3 years.
McMaster in Ontario and U of Calgary in Alberta are 3-year programs - you don't get summers off at those, and I know at Calgary, the program is more "fluid" - there isn't this rough transition from classroom only to clerkship. However, Calgary doesn't accept international students, and McMaster USED to accept them, but it seems like they put that program on hold. However, this is definitely great for non-trad students, or even just anyone who wants to save time and money - you are going to start earning a year faster, so that saves you at least 20 grand in loans for living expenses. Also, I THINK these programs cost less than a 4-year program. Tuition per year is the same at both types, but there's only 3 years at U of C or Mac vs. 4 everywhere else.
Good God did they misspell Mississippi on their Medical School homepage ??? Seriously ... I don't even understand what this thing is. I mean, how did they become '#1 in US med' with a site like that
. It must be the whole ... not needing an MCAT to apply thing. 👍 Just kidding ... no hard feelings Stewart U!!
And to someone a while ago who posted about LECOM- Erie (which isn't totally correct bc it stands for Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine) ... I've never heard of a 3 year primary care program from there. It's a regular osteo school, so I'm not sure about that one !!
. It must be the whole ... not needing an MCAT to apply thing. 👍 Just kidding ... no hard feelings Stewart U!!And to someone a while ago who posted about LECOM- Erie (which isn't totally correct bc it stands for Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine) ... I've never heard of a 3 year primary care program from there. It's a regular osteo school, so I'm not sure about that one !!
According the Stewart's, you will EASILY be able to find a residency spot because the state pays the hospitals per resident they take.
-_- I feel bad for the kids who believed that and enrolled.
-_- I feel bad for the kids who believed that and enrolled.
Back in the 70's, SIU was a 3 year program. My dad graduated from there, although it was July 1-June 20 (w/intern starting July 1) three years straight with 1 week off to take the USMLE. It was split about 18/18, with fewer elective rotations offered.
And to someone a while ago who posted about LECOM- Erie (which isn't totally correct bc it stands for Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine) ... I've never heard of a 3 year primary care program from there. It's a regular osteo school, so I'm not sure about that one !!
There are two LECOM sites...the main one in PA and one in FL. I'm assuming that's why -Erie (PA) is tacked on to distinguish the two.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had an interview at LECOM-Erie on the 18th, and they were pushing the 3-year primary care program (it cuts some clerkships that wouldn't be germane to primary care, among other things - I don't have the information packet at hand that spells out the curriculum, however).
it cuts some clerkships that wouldn't be germane to primary care, among other things
What clerkships are irrelevant to primary care? I would want my GP to have taken surgery, optho, derm, OB/GYN...aren't GPs the "know a little about a lot" guys? I could see maybe eliminating a research period since most primary care doctors are in private practice, though...
I heard that you can at Ohio state through their independent study program, but you have to be really quick to do it.
There used to be 2.5 or 3 year MD schools, but you had to have a PhD in a related science prior to admission. The idea was that you already had the classroom portion of the MD degree. These all went to 4 year programs some 10 or 15 years ago.
What clerkships are irrelevant to primary care? I would want my GP to have taken surgery, optho, derm, OB/GYN...aren't GPs the "know a little about a lot" guys? I could see maybe eliminating a research period since most primary care doctors are in private practice, though...
Some information from the website:
http://www.lecom.edu/pros_pathways.php
http://www.mutualgravity.com/sf.php?fn=0_76_public_images/pscp-flyer.pdf