Are there any 3 year or accelerated med school programs out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Natalia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

To my knowledge, not in the US. I could be wrong but every school I've heard of is at least 4 years. I have heard of people who have been allowed to have previous credit for classes but never a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Found this at the duke site
"SEE PATIENTS A YEAR EARLIER : Duke students study the basic sciences for one year instead of two (as at most other medical schools)—and begin clinical rotations a year earlier than their peers."

Not sure if that means it is a three year accelerated med program, but it might be something of that nature

Natalia said:
Are there any reputable 3 year or accelerated med school programs out there?
edited to add: not a BA/MD program

I think McMaster in Canada might have one.

braluk said:
Found this at the duke site
"SEE PATIENTS A YEAR EARLIER : Duke students study the basic sciences for one year instead of two (as at most other medical schools)—and begin clinical rotations a year earlier than their peers."

Not sure if that means it is a three year accelerated med program, but it might be something of that nature
Duke is still a 4 year medical school.

Natalia said:
Are there any reputable 3 year or accelerated med school programs out there?
edited to add: not a BA/MD program

What exactly is the rush? Actually all med schools are accelerated -- There's no way to possibly learn everything you need in 4 years anyhow; so why would you want to compound the problem by trying to do it in three.

There are a few DO schools that are just starting to do this for people promising to go into primary care. However, it is no less academic time. All vacations are simply cut out of the traditional 4 years.

Dr Trek 1 said:
There are a few DO schools that are just starting to do this for people promising to go into primary care. However, it is no less academic time. All vacations are simply cut out of the traditional 4 years.

There aren't a years worth of summer vacations in the traditional 4 year route. You get 10 to 12 weeks after first year. Very little real vacation after second year due to studying for and taking boards, and maybe two weeks after 3rd year. So you are still 6 months short after removing these. Maybe if you eliminated x-mas, thanksgiving, and weekends you could get the same academic time... :confused:

Law2Doc said:
There aren't a years worth of summer vacations in the traditional 4 year route. You get 10 to 12 weeks after first year. Very little real vacation after second year due to studying for and taking boards, and maybe two weeks after 3rd year. So you are still 6 months short after removing these. Maybe if you eliminated x-mas, thanksgiving, and weekends you could get the same academic time... :confused:

Sorry I was inaccurate. They also cut out elective rotations.

good point. To the OP, stick with four years. dont try to distinguish yourself by completing med school in 3 years versus four. It would be suicide to take it in 3. Good luck with everything!! :)

mshheaddoc said:
Duke is still a 4 year medical school.

Duke is 4 years: 1st year is basic sciences, 2nd is clinical rotations, 3rd is a year for research and 4th is electives. If you have already completed a significant research project (ie - a PhD), Duke will consider allowing you to skip 3rd year, but I don't know how selective they are about what the project entailed, etc.

diosa428 said:
Duke is 4 years: 1st year is basic sciences, 2nd is clinical rotations, 3rd is a year for research and 4th is electives. If you have already completed a significant research project (ie - a PhD), Duke will consider allowing you to skip 3rd year, but I don't know how selective they are about what the project entailed, etc.
I called and talked to admissions today and they said even with a PhD you can't "trim" a year off. I'm sure they make exceptions but I have a feeling they are far and few between unless you did alot of medical related research.

mshheaddoc said:
I called and talked to admissions today and they said even with a PhD you can't "trim" a year off. I'm sure they make exceptions but I have a feeling they are far and few between unless you did alot of medical related research.

I doubt they give exceptions.

How to trim a year from med school:

Eliminate summer before school, like PAs do.

Eliminate summer between MS1 and MS2:

Eliminate 6 months of MS4 rotations, (most med student say this is most useless year anyway.

Now we have cut down on debt, and time. And then pay people 60K a year during residency intead of 40K.

Start accelarated PCP programs like LeCom plans, and then starting phasing all other regular track programs to this over a period of let's say 8-10 years.

No you have 3 years of medschool and higher paying residency, and less incentive to go PA/NP cuz its shorter (Uh oh, i said np/pa, when will the hurting stop?)

Of course with this schedule most people will go crazy do to the loss of certain breaks, but since im already insane i don't care. I don't know how logical this is, so spare the flames, unless it will be funny. Then go ahead, give me your best.