Are there any AOA OB/GYN residencies left?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cyp4503A4

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a DO student. I always thought I would go into primary care. I'm 2 weeks into my OB rotation and I am absolutely in love with it. The problem is, I never took step 1, so snagging an ACGME OB spot is a little far-fetched. I was just wondering if any of you might know an AOA OB/GYN residencies left out there? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There was about 12-13 that participated in the AOA match this year. Just look up those that used to be in the AOA match and apply there, you’ll be fine. Do auditions at ACGME community hospitals that have taken DOs in the past. You’ll be fine. Multiple AOA PDs have told me verbatim that even though they have to do the ACGME match, they will still be selecting DOs and evaluating participants by looking at COMLEX scores.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t do that great on level 1. I scored a 501, if I can improve on my level 2, do you think that would give me a shot? I’m also in the bottom 1/3 of my class, which I’m sure doesn’t help me at all. If I didn’t like OB this much, I would just forget about it. I hope I didn’t miss the boat.

There was about 12-13 that participated in the AOA match this year. Just look up those that used to be in the AOA match and apply there, you’ll be fine. Do auditions at ACGME community hospitals that have taken DOs in the past. You’ll be fine. Multiple AOA PDs have told me verbatim that even though they have to do the ACGME match, they will still be selecting DOs and evaluating participants by looking at COMLEX scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn’t do that great on level 1. I scored a 501, if I can improve on my level 2, do you think that would give me a shot? I’m also in the bottom 1/3 of my class, which I’m sure doesn’t help me at all. If I didn’t like OB this much, I would just forget about it. I hope I didn’t miss the boat.
I can’t really comment on that specific score, but those programs that are (or used to be) AOA accredited put a very strong emphasis on audition rotations. The cut off for a lot of those programs to audition was a 500, at least when I applied to audition.

Reactions: 2 users
DO programs that are ACGME accredited will understand and probably give you a chance regardless of USMLE vs not ( at least right now since this change just happened). I would def def do audition rotations and show interest - thats what most of these programs care about.