Are there any DO friendly plastic surgery residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frodohobo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing some networking with some plastics programs for research and exposure. I'm aware of how hard it is for DOs to match into plastics and that some don't ever consider DOs, but what programs out there are worth contacting?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What are chances of getting plastic surgery Residency --compared TOURO, NY to NOVA, FL.
Deciding between medical schools.

LOL. My program director would laugh at you and he's such a nice guy too.

If you're super fantastic stellar and lucky as hell. Maybe a smaller program will take you. There is always general surgery to PRS fellowship route though.

Reactions: 1 user
The gen surg --> PRS route is collapsing rapidly, only 68 spots left for the independent match this year so I wouldn't plan on using this as your "back-up". Last years integrated match had 207 spots (not sure what the total is for this years match, but would expect a higher number given the rapid decline in independent spots in the SF match over a relatively short time period). Think your best bet would be to become someones publishing machine with over 20 publications and try for integrated, interview at a couple gen surg spots in case things don't work out, then again in residency become a program directors research work horse and hope they feel like you've paid your dues. Either way its unfortunately a tough road.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm in the process of doing some networking with some plastics programs for research and exposure. I'm aware of how hard it is for DOs to match into plastics and that some don't ever consider DOs, but what programs out there are worth contacting?
There are actually 2 DOs at Kansas. Those are the only ones I know about. Otherwise try for the new programs... Va Tech didn't fill either of their 2 spots this year.

There are actually 2 DOs at Kansas. Those are the only ones I know about. Otherwise try for the new programs... Va Tech didn't fill either of their 2 spots this year.

Winning the lottery or being struck by lightening is also not impossible, but those opportunities are rare and fleeting. NYU and Michigan also lost some residents recently, but unlikely that a DO will be filling them.

Michigan has not had any attrition according to a friend of mine who is a plastics resident there (was curious after I read this so I asked him).

Correction about Michigan. I think they just had additional spots open. Whereas NYU lost some.