Are there any girls in OMFS or not??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scientist1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never seen girls in OMFS, at my school all residents seem to be guys, why is that? Are there any girls out there in the field??

Members don't see this ad.

They are definately out there, but not that many. My guess is that females tend to go into dentistry for reasons of lifestyle and hours (like most males). The quickest way to lose that is through oral surgery. Actually, most private practice oral surgeons have similar hours to general dentists, but they tend to have more call-related responsibilities. Also, dentistry is not a bad profession to be in if you want to have children. I would guess that another 4-6 years of residency after dental school during the prime child-bearing years may be tough to stomach since it's really difficult to have kids during residency.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. It's happened before...just ask my wife.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what i have seen at vcu, there is usually 1 out of 10 residents is a female. so it is fairly low

toofache32 said:
They are definately out there, but not that many. My guess is that females tend to go into dentistry for reasons of lifestyle and hours (like most males). The quickest way to lose that is through oral surgery. Actually, most private practice oral surgeons have similar hours to general dentists, but they tend to have more call-related responsibilities. Also, dentistry is not a bad profession to be in if you want to have children. I would guess that another 4-6 years of residency after dental school during the prime child-bearing years may be tough to stomach since it's really difficult to have kids during residency.

Just my thoughts, I could be wrong. It's happened before...just ask my wife.
so what's the fate of a general dentist (male) if he ever gets married to a gal who is an oral surgeon? would it ever work :laugh:

MN OMFS took one woman resident per year for the last 5-6 years! So there are definitely women in OMFS.

OK, I can't resist. So hammer away. I was referred to the grad Perio dept rather than the grad OMFS dept for my extraction and implant procedures because the referring undergrad felt that the Perio residents (female dominated) tended to handle such surgery with greater finesse that did the OMFS residents (male dominated).

groundhog said:
OK, I can't resist. So hammer away. I was referred to the grad Perio dept rather than the grad OMFS dept for my extraction and implant procedures because the referring undergrad felt that the Perio residents (female dominated) tended to handle such surgery with greater finesse that did the OMFS residents (male dominated).

i think its a perio vs oms thing, not male vs female

texas_dds said:
i think its a perio vs oms thing, not male vs female

there is only one female resident at san antonio in OMS and needless to say, she is tough as nails! more power to her, but for me - there is no way i could go to that much more school and still fulfill my own expectations in my personal life

groundhog said:
And in the end the tooth is still in the bucket either way.

toofache32 said:
And in the end the tooth is still in the bucket either way.

Yeah, but then that nagging thought of which group might have the greater propensity to break off some jaw bone along with the tooth swayed me to go with the Perio Gals. ;) :)

groundhog said:
Yeah, but then that nagging thought of which group might have the greater propensity to break off some jaw bone along with the tooth swayed me to go with the Perio Gals. ;) :)
You always lose some bone. Too bad you didn't have a nagging thought of which group would get called when the other had a complication.

toofache32 said:
You always lose some bone. Too bad you didn't have a nagging thought of which group would get called when the other had a complication.
Prostho? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
toofache32 said:
Letting a periodontist do the extraction is a great idea. It's kinda like letting an OMFS residents in his first week of training do the extraction: good experience for the doc and there's always a more experienced oral surgeon to bail him out.

What do all you fools think, that b/c a periodontist makes a huge f'ing deal about extractions they do it better? B/c they spend two hours driving a spatula into the PDL their cases don't have bone loss? Have you ever extracted a tooth? Look, if I gave a knife to a gynecologist and asked them to do brain surgery they'd probably spend five times longer in the OR than a neurosurgeon, does that mean they did a better surgery? Just b/c you make a huge, overblown, big f'ing deal about something doesn't mean you're the best at what you're doing.

tx oms said:
Letting a periodontist do the extraction is a great idea. It's kinda like letting an OMFS residents in his first week of training do the extraction: good experience for the doc and there's always a more experienced oral surgeon to bail him out.

What do all you fools think, that b/c a periodontist makes a huge f'ing deal about extractions they do it better? B/c they spend two hours driving a spatula into the PDL their cases don't have bone loss? Have you ever extracted a tooth? Look, if I gave a knife to a gynecologist and asked them to do brain surgery they'd probably spend five times longer in the OR than a neurosurgeon, does that mean they did a better surgery? Just b/c you make a huge, overblown, big f'ing deal about something doesn't mean you're the best at what you're doing.

Well all I know is that I'm glad that I went with the Perio Resident. The badly decayed previously root canaled molar had to be sectioned apart and the roots taken out individually. The only meds I took were pre op valium and post op ibuprofen. No harm was done to the surrounding bone or adjacent molar and the emptied space was left in prime condition for the implant boring and insertion procedures. All I'm saying though is that at that particular school the Perio Residents (almost all female) had a reputation amongst the D3's and D4's as being more skilled than the OMS Residents (almost all male) at many of the surgical procedures that could be referred to either the OMS or Perio Residents at the option of the patient.

groundhog said:
Well all I know is that I'm glad that I went with the Perio Resident. The badly decayed previously root canaled molar had to be sectioned apart and the roots taken out individually. The only meds I took were pre op valium and post op ibuprofen. No harm was done to the surrounding bone or adjacent molar and the emptied space was left in prime condition for the implant boring and insertion procedures. All I'm saying though is that at that particular school the Perio Residents (almost all female) had a reputation amongst the D3's and D4's as being more skilled than the OMS Residents (almost all male) at many of the surgical procedures that could be referred to either the OMS or Perio Residents at the option of the patient.
That sounds like a pretty challenging extraction with that sectioning and all. Good thing you went to the periodontist.

groundhog said:

How many hours did it take the perio resident?? Are you sure your perception of the procedure was not altered by the valium :laugh:

groundhog said:

What is more traumatic, extracting the tooth in one piece without surgery, or sectioning the tooth?

Extraction said:
How many hours did it take the perio resident?? Are you sure your perception of the procedure was not altered by the valium :laugh:

I'd never had it before. It was amazing stuff. Didn't even know it had impacted me until I started to stand up after the extraction...then I could tell. :)

omfsres said:
What is more traumatic, extracting the tooth in one piece without surgery, or sectioning the tooth?

Sectioning seemed the best option to me. The tooth had been root canaled and was still plenty tight in the socket. However the decay under the gold crown had eaten so far into the base of the tooth that it would likley have not come out in one piece if a simple extraction had been attempted. In fact, I enquired about a discount on the procedure since my own decay had already done some of the sectionalizing work....denied... :(

what happened to this post???

Scientist1 said:
what happened to this post???

It contracted yersinia pestis from the prairie dog.

Perio vs. OMFS, haven't heard about that for a while...

Back to the OPs original question...

I talked to a friend of mine (female OMFS resident)...here's her answer:

There are a number of successful women in OMFS...to name a few:

Jessica Lee (University of Washington)
Bonnie Padwa (Harvard/Boston Children's Hospital)
Janice Lee (UCSF)
Maria Papageorge (Tufts)
Meredith August (Harvard/MGH)
Vasiliki Karlis (NYU)
Kim Goldman (UCSF)
Maria Troulis (Harvard/MGH)
Helen Giannakopoulos (Penn)

ajmacgregor said:
Back to the OPs original question...

I talked to a friend of mine (female OMFS resident)...here's her answer:

There are a number of successful women in OMFS...to name a few:

Jessica Lee (University of Washington)
Bonnie Padwa (Harvard/Boston Children's Hospital)
Janice Lee (UCSF)
Maria Papageorge (Tufts)
Meredith August (Harvard/MGH)
Vasiliki Karlis (NYU)
Kim Goldman (UCSF)
Maria Troulis (Harvard/MGH)
Helen Giannakopoulos (Penn)

I also remember a chick on staff in Gainesville named Snuffalupagus or something like that.

toofache32 said:
I also remember a chick on staff in Gainesville named Snuffalupagus or something like that.

Two more:

Regina Landesburg (Columbia)
Tracey Rosenburg (Columbia)