are there any history majors out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abcxyz0123

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, can you tell us how difficult it was to get good grades in most history classes, mainly 300 level and above? Do you think it takes more time and effort to do well in an upper level history course compared to an upper level biology type course? Also, if you had the chance to go back, would you major in history again?

Members don't see this ad.

seth03 said:
If so, can you tell us how difficult it was to get good grades in most history classes, mainly 300 level and above? Do you think it takes more time and effort to do well in an upper level history course compared to an upper level biology type course? Also, if you had the chance to go back, would you major in history again?

It wasn't that hard, I didn't think. It was just time consuming to do the work that you needed to get good grades - going to the library, finding the time to read all the books that you needed, writing and editing your papers, etc. I didn't find it that difficult, but I think that was because I really liked it, and didn't have to force myself to do the work. It takes about the same amount of time to do well in an upper level bio course, I would say, although that depends on the professor. Bio was much harder for me, but that's because science isn't really my strongest subject. The hardest part is definitely balancing everything. To focus on one upper level bio course, and then to switch over to focus on one upper level history course, was difficult because I needed to spend about 3-4 hours on each. If you're taking more than one upper level history course, and/or more than one bio course at the same time, it can be very challenging to get everything done. But, yes, absolutely, I would be a history major again. I loved it, and I miss it (a little) now that I'm up to my ears in anatomy as a first year medical student.

I was a history major and found that upper-level history classes are generally easier. Science classes are more standardized, and the history classes really depends on on the whims of the professor, especially in the upper divisions. Of course there are a ton of reading and some heavy writing to do, but presumably you are taking that class because you are interested in the topic.

And I would definitely be a history major again, it's one of my regrets that I didn't took more history classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wasn't a history major, but I took a keen interest in it and took several upper division courses.. I schooled my classmates :) Kinda funny, one of the teachers wanted to get to know us and there I was.. the lone science major, hell the only person that WASN'T a history major sitting there.

The secret to history classes are the following:

1) Read
2) Read some more
3) Watch the History Channel often. Funtimes galore (not being sarcastic).
4) Blame whitey
5) Be sure to explain why everything was whitey's fault
6) Why haven't you blamed whitey yet?

Of course, the last three MAY not be applicable in some instances. My passion for history usually includes the age of imperialism and colonialism and the Roman Empire.. so I took classes geared towards those.

In terms compared to an upper division biology course? History courses were like preschool, forgive me if I'm offending anyone. But reading sources, even primary sources for history unless it's in a different language, are a HELL of a lot EASIER than some science journals.

The assignments and tests in history are cake. You just have to be comprehensive and analysis doesn't take much, it's really almsot simple cause and effect type thing.

Whereas assignments in science courses can be mindboggling. Analyzing data is incredibly difficult when one cannot draw any logical conclusion, and as such you state that at the end of your 20 page report and still get an A. Whereas in history one can always give some type of analysis that is backed up by one thing or another.

Tests in UD science courses I thought were pretty easy. The real meat in advanced bio was not the class material, but the reading material. By the time you get there, there's no such thing as textbooks, your God will be the library and pubmed.

TTSD said:
Wasn't a history major, but I took a keen interest in it and took several upper division courses.. I schooled my classmates.

The secret to history classes are the following:

1) Read
2) Read some more
3) Watch the History Channel often. Funtimes galore (not being sarcastic).
4) Blame whitey
5) Be sure to explain why everything was whitey's fault
6) Why haven't you blamed whitey yet?

Interesting that you recommend watching the History Channel often. It's fun to watch, don't get me wrong, but I think that they over-simplify almost everything to the point that it almost becomes cartoonish. And, honestly, most of my upper level courses have never revolved around "blaming whitey." If they had, I would have walked out, because that's also an over-simplification, and most real historians know that.

TTSD said:
In terms compared to an upper division biology course? History courses were like preschool, forgive me if I'm offending anyone. But reading sources, even primary sources for history unless it's in a different language, are a HELL of a lot EASIER than some science journals.

The assignments and tests in history are cake. You just have to be comprehensive and analysis doesn't take much, it's really almsot simple cause and effect type thing.

That's true ... up to a point. Primary sources for history aren't necessarily easier to read. Unless you enjoy a 50 page reading assignment that discusses the development of the public park system in Boston. (It's not fun.) If you become a history major, you will almost certainly be forced to read primary source material, which, depending on your area of specialization, may not be written in English. The best thing is when you find that the one book that can really help you write that killer term paper on Italian Fascism is in the school's library...but it's written in Russian. I also had a professor who had a 20 page reading list for his students (and, yes, we were supposed to read almost all of that). He trimmed it down to 15 after the head librarian yelled at him for having too many books on reserve.

Sorry for the rant, but this is one thing that I got all the time as a history major - that it's loads of fun, and I love history too, but anyone, even a pre-schooler could do it, so why don't you find a real major? (I know that's not the implication, but still.) To study history at an upper-division level (I started taking graduate classes as well, which was even tougher) was very challenging and time consuming. Part of that is due to the level of minutiae that you're expected to go into. I took a class that revolved exclusively on one painting. The problem that I found with most history programs was the inability or refusal to go into this level of detail with its undergrad courses - they oversimplify to make it "fun" and keep students coming. There's also a growing hint of sociology/anthropology in many history classes that apologizes for unfortunate cultural events (i.e. "blame whitey.") History is really, for me, about looking at events objectively, neither accepting nor placing blame, but understanding how these events happened. I was lucky - a lot of my professors at Pitt were very stringent and tough, and forced their students to understand that level of detail, and kept the classes from being kiddie-ish. But I can definitely see it happening at other universities, especially in the lower level (500-1100 level courses).

Again, sorry for the rant, but I am really getting tired of people claiming that studying history isn't hard, but that it's "fun". Study anything in depth enough, and it becomes difficult.

P.S. You had tests in history?!? Wow. I haven't had a test in history in any of my upper level classes - just 15 - 25 page term papers. They seem to stop having tests at the 500 class level. Once you hit 1000 and above, though, term papers seem to be the preferred method.

Wait you're thinking about going into medicine? I thought you could only work in a museum or teach with a History major. :)