Are there any known applications for fast degrading embolic agents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChemEngineer Researcher

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I work in a polymer chemistry laboratory and we have a hydrogel that is biodegradable, swells, and degrades rapidly in water. Does any know of any medical application where an embolic agent would be needed for only 20 minutes - 2 hours? Many of the uses I have found are for longer temporary occlusion, (~2-4 weeks), extremely short occlusion (5-10 min) or permanent blocking of vessels.
 
Yes, drug delivery (chemoembolization) in liver tumors. You could deliver the drug and the biodegradable nature of the embolic will allow patency of the vessel. That is one big area. I can also think of uses under the concept of hepatic redistribution, while trying to improve flow through a given vessel by blocking collaterals.

I'm actually consulting for a company that is trying to bring something like this to the US market (the product currently has CE Mark).