Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

are there any optometry residency position still openning?

Discussion in 'Optometry' started by lxaly, Jul 23, 2006.

1. lxaly

lxaly Junior Member

Hi, I am in special program that will graduate in September.
    wandering if there are any residnecy still not been filled.
    I like primary care, ocular disease, retina, cornea, CL etc.
    thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. POJO

POJO New Member

I've heard many stories that the primary candidate at residencies have sometimes either refused to attend, didnn't pass the boards or was too sick to attend. In these cases, the person who stuck their face in front of the residency director or was on the wait list got accepted.

4. SydneyB

SydneyB New Member

Optometry Student
    Go to the following website for ORMS, which does the residency matching for all optometry residencies: www.orms.org
    There is a list of unmatched positions; and contact information for those programs. If you are really interested, contact them ASAP - they may still be interested and might make special arrangements for you to do a program from Sept to Sept rather than the typical July 1 to June 30,

5. rpames

rpames Optometrist

Optometrist

I have been to this website several times, and every time I go to it I'm ashamed how horrible it looks. It looks like a 4 year old through it together. If that is the web presents Optometry wants to front for its residency trained doctors...it says we suck! The AOA needs to get involved and make them fix it.

6. Hines302

Hines302 Senior Member

Optometry Student
    :eek:

http://www.orms.org/unmatched.htm

Am I reading this site right?? Are residency spots at places like The Cincinnati Eye Institute and Bascom Palmer Eye Institute going unfilled?? I would think those would be very competitive spots!

7. ML1983

ML1983 PCO Class of 2010

Optometry Student
    Could that also mean the applicants weren't qualified enough? I'm assuming they are not going to take just "anyone" that applies.

8. Richard_Hom

Richard_Hom Senior Member

More likely, the applicant backed out at the last moment.

9. gsinccom

Pharmacist
    that is crazy that those two spots are going unfilled! if the people back out do they have alternates or can others apply or do they just go unfilled for a year?