Are there any out of state medical schools that are out of state friendly for Texas residents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Texas resident and am working on my AMCAS application. I was told in a previous post to pretty much not apply out of state MD in one of my previous posts. Is this true? My stats are:

GPA- 3.9
Science GPA GPA TMDSA / AAMCAS - 3.55
MCAT- CP -126, CARS - 128, BB- 130, PS - 125
Ethnicity- Hispanic / South American

If not its not the end of the world for me but I don't want to leave any opportunities on the table.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Some of the middle-ranked private schools that are in need of URM diversity might give you a shot. Do the WARS thing and see what list you get. I have known top students to come out of Texas and go OOS but we all know that the price is right if you have an offer from your home state and you won't choose to matriculate OOS in those circumstances without a big ($$$$$) incentive.

Some of the middle-ranked private schools that are in need of URM diversity might give you a shot. Do the WARS thing and see what list you get. I have known top students to come out of Texas and go OOS but we all know that the price is right if you have an offer from your home state and you won't choose to matriculate OOS in those circumstances without a big ($$$$$) incentive.

I feel that many TX students would prefer an offer from Harvard/Stanford/UCSF/Hopkins/Penn/Yale over any TX school with the possible exception of Baylor despite the price difference.

There are plenty of TX residents who attended prestigious out of state private undergrads instead of UT-Austin despite the price differential. It's not always about "show me the money."

I feel that many TX students would prefer an offer from Harvard/Stanford/UCSF/Hopkins/Penn/Yale over any TX school with the possible exception of Baylor despite the price difference.

Of course, there are those folks but the OP is not in that ballpark.

There are plenty of TX residents who attended prestigious out of state private undergrads instead of UT-Austin despite the price differential. It's not always about "show me the money."

But when it is a choice between UT-Austin and Mary Baldwin University, it is rather cut and dry.

Reactions: 2 users