-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Are there any pharmacy technicians here?
Started by ablankstare
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
In the great state of Oklahoma, you need a pulse, 40 dollars, and a supervising pharmacists' signature for a license. That's it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It depends on where you want to be a pharmacy tech. In Idaho, they just sent me my license after working for so many hours. In Washington they have A-tech and B-tech status. It all depends. Are you in NY? I don't know about their procedures.
Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?
Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.
In ga all you have to do is apply for employment with a company. The retail chain I work at trained me and then later on I took th PTCB test and became certified. Got a nice raise for passing the test too.
In Indiana, you just apply for it; you don't even have to be a pharmacy technician--how messed up is that?? I wanted to work in a hospital pharmacy so I called the outpatient pharmacy and asked them what I would need to work there. They told me that I would have to already have a license, so she gave me the website where I could get one. I just went on there, applied for it, and got it. After I actually got hired at a retail pharmacy, that was the same license I used until it expired after two years; then I just renewed it.
Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?
Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.
Thanks for replying. Do you work in a chain pharmacy like Rite Aid or Walgreens? What is the process of getting certified? Working a certain amount of hours and taking the test? Do you have to take additional courses or take home material to study for it?
That's what I plan on doing...I just ordered my book last night. How long did you study? Do you need to know all of those drugs?I just signed up on the web to take the PTCB test at ptcb.org. Then, studied a book I bought for a few days and passed. The test is pretty easy. There are no required hours of work experience to take the test.
As far as Washington goes that A and B tech business is out the window. You have assistants and technicians that's it. The assistants are basically cashiers, they cannot handle medications (retrieving meds, pouring/counting etc..) I've been a pharmacy tech for over 2 years for Kaiser. I went through a formal college program (which you have to) you cannot simply take the PTCB and become a licensed tech. However, I did become nationally certified as well (the more credentials the better).
one more thing, I meant NYC!
in NY, you need a pulse and no criminal background. the state of NY does not recognize technicians...they are considered "unlicensed personnel"
however, my techs get a nice raise for taking and passing the PTCB
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K