ablankstare

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
How do you get a liscence? I've heard you can take a few courses and take some certifciation exam to become one. Can you explain to me the process in becoming a pham tech?

jdhwsu

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
It depends on where you want to be a pharmacy tech. In Idaho, they just sent me my license after working for so many hours. In Washington they have A-tech and B-tech status. It all depends. Are you in NY? I don't know about their procedures.

cycloketocaine

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2006
The Boonies
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
In the great state of Oklahoma, you need a pulse, 40 dollars, and a supervising pharmacists' signature for a license. That's it.

About the Ads

longstech

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Ohio
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
In CA you can either take the PTCB test or go to school for it, (I think it's like 9-11 months), submit the paperwork to the state board with a live scan and some fees.

parabolic

One of many
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
It depends on where you want to be a pharmacy tech. In Idaho, they just sent me my license after working for so many hours. In Washington they have A-tech and B-tech status. It all depends. Are you in NY? I don't know about their procedures.

Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?

Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.

pharmacygirl

10+ Year Member
Feb 26, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
In ga all you have to do is apply for employment with a company. The retail chain I work at trained me and then later on I took th PTCB test and became certified. Got a nice raise for passing the test too.

piyi

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Henderson, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
In Indiana, you just apply for it; you don't even have to be a pharmacy technician--how messed up is that?? I wanted to work in a hospital pharmacy so I called the outpatient pharmacy and asked them what I would need to work there. They told me that I would have to already have a license, so she gave me the website where I could get one. I just went on there, applied for it, and got it. After I actually got hired at a retail pharmacy, that was the same license I used until it expired after two years; then I just renewed it.

ablankstare

10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?

Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.

Thanks for replying. Do you work in a chain pharmacy like Rite Aid or Walgreens? What is the process of getting certified? Working a certain amount of hours and taking the test? Do you have to take additional courses or take home material to study for it?

SCCpharm

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2006
Cali
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
I just signed up on the web to take the PTCB test at ptcb.org. Then, studied a book I bought for a few days and passed. The test is pretty easy. There are no required hours of work experience to take the test.

collegegrrl06

10+ Year Member
Jan 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
I just signed up on the web to take the PTCB test at ptcb.org. Then, studied a book I bought for a few days and passed. The test is pretty easy. There are no required hours of work experience to take the test.
That's what I plan on doing...I just ordered my book last night. How long did you study? Do you need to know all of those drugs?

RoBear

10+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacy Student
As far as Washington goes that A and B tech business is out the window. You have assistants and technicians that's it. The assistants are basically cashiers, they cannot handle medications (retrieving meds, pouring/counting etc..) I've been a pharmacy tech for over 2 years for Kaiser. I went through a formal college program (which you have to) you cannot simply take the PTCB and become a licensed tech. However, I did become nationally certified as well (the more credentials the better).

AtomicLuv

10+ Year Member
May 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Hey all,

does anyone know what has has to be done in NY to become a pharm tech?

Is the ptcb exam necessary to begin work as one here?

Thanks! :)

tussionex

Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
po-town, NY
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
one more thing, I meant NYC!

in NY, you need a pulse and no criminal background. the state of NY does not recognize technicians...they are considered "unlicensed personnel"

however, my techs get a nice raise for taking and passing the PTCB

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.