Are there any pharmacy technicians here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ablankstare

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do you get a liscence? I've heard you can take a few courses and take some certifciation exam to become one. Can you explain to me the process in becoming a pham tech?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you want to be a pharmacy tech. In Idaho, they just sent me my license after working for so many hours. In Washington they have A-tech and B-tech status. It all depends. Are you in NY? I don't know about their procedures.

In the great state of Oklahoma, you need a pulse, 40 dollars, and a supervising pharmacists' signature for a license. That's it.

Members don't see this ad :)
In CA you can either take the PTCB test or go to school for it, (I think it's like 9-11 months), submit the paperwork to the state board with a live scan and some fees.

It depends on where you want to be a pharmacy tech. In Idaho, they just sent me my license after working for so many hours. In Washington they have A-tech and B-tech status. It all depends. Are you in NY? I don't know about their procedures.

Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?

Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.

In ga all you have to do is apply for employment with a company. The retail chain I work at trained me and then later on I took th PTCB test and became certified. Got a nice raise for passing the test too.

In Indiana, you just apply for it; you don't even have to be a pharmacy technician--how messed up is that?? I wanted to work in a hospital pharmacy so I called the outpatient pharmacy and asked them what I would need to work there. They told me that I would have to already have a license, so she gave me the website where I could get one. I just went on there, applied for it, and got it. After I actually got hired at a retail pharmacy, that was the same license I used until it expired after two years; then I just renewed it.

Could you please tell me, what is the difference between A-tech and B-tech? Just experience, or something else?

Edit: ablankstare, I am a pharm tech in NY, and neither a license nor certification were necessary to get the job. I basically just walked in and applied, and was offered the position following an interview and criminal background check.

Thanks for replying. Do you work in a chain pharmacy like Rite Aid or Walgreens? What is the process of getting certified? Working a certain amount of hours and taking the test? Do you have to take additional courses or take home material to study for it?

I just signed up on the web to take the PTCB test at ptcb.org. Then, studied a book I bought for a few days and passed. The test is pretty easy. There are no required hours of work experience to take the test.

I just signed up on the web to take the PTCB test at ptcb.org. Then, studied a book I bought for a few days and passed. The test is pretty easy. There are no required hours of work experience to take the test.
That's what I plan on doing...I just ordered my book last night. How long did you study? Do you need to know all of those drugs?

As far as Washington goes that A and B tech business is out the window. You have assistants and technicians that's it. The assistants are basically cashiers, they cannot handle medications (retrieving meds, pouring/counting etc..) I've been a pharmacy tech for over 2 years for Kaiser. I went through a formal college program (which you have to) you cannot simply take the PTCB and become a licensed tech. However, I did become nationally certified as well (the more credentials the better).

Hey all,

does anyone know what has has to be done in NY to become a pharm tech?

Is the ptcb exam necessary to begin work as one here?

Thanks! :)

one more thing, I meant NYC!

in NY, you need a pulse and no criminal background. the state of NY does not recognize technicians...they are considered "unlicensed personnel"

however, my techs get a nice raise for taking and passing the PTCB