Are there any Radiology research fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gilaze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Non-US IMG with desire to match in Radiology in a few years. I know research is a must, so I want to know if there are 1-year research fellowships for Radiology, similar to those that exist for Ortho/Neuro, for example. If not, should I just take a research fellowship in Medicine or Ortho or any other specialty, and then apply to Rads with that experience under my bag?

Does non-Rads research help my case at all?

Members don't see this ad.

HHMI is always a solid bet for a full research year. Many radiology departments offer their own fellowship through internal funding. Contact individual department medical student teaching faculty or specific research faculty faculty for more information. Dartmouth for example offers a research fellowship, internally funded. Have also heard of med student research fellow at UCSF. Clinical research year should still be helpful since radiologists interact very often with clinicians and individual sections are divided by clinical specialties, but I think research year within radiology may be your best bet because you get to know the radiologist faculty better, who can in turn vouch for you in the application process / future academic career.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you please provide some information on what exactly is the requirement for IMG aspiring for radiology research and what exactly are they enrolled in. Do they assist in the research or anything like that ?
Similar IMG aiming radiology residency seeking radio research year.

Thanking in advance.
HHMI is always a solid bet for a full research year. Many radiology departments offer their own fellowship through internal funding. Contact individual department medical student teaching faculty or specific research faculty faculty for more information. Dartmouth for example offers a research fellowship, internally funded. Have also heard of med student research fellow at UCSF. Clinical research year should still be helpful since radiologists interact very often with clinicians and individual sections are divided by clinical specialties, but I think research year within radiology may be your best bet because you get to know the radiologist faculty better, who can in turn vouch for you in the application process / future academic career.