Are there any school that does not require Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Superzooi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did horrible in that class but almost every school that I applied requires it. I cannot take physio. next semester because I'm already loaded with chem courses that are needed to finish my bachelor, then my school does not offer physio. in the spring semester. I am completely awestruck, can someone provide me a list of schools that does not requires it?

Honestly, I find Orgo, Bochem, Calc. MUCH easier than physio. (hell, if all of them combined into one class is probably easier than physio.), I'm currently avoiding it like HIV:idea:

Members don't see this ad.

I did horrible in that class but almost every school that I applied requires it. I cannot take physio. next semester because I'm already loaded with chem courses that are needed to finish my bachelor, then my school does not offer physio. in the spring semester. I am completely awestruck, can someone provide me a list of schools that does not requires it?

Honestly, I find Orgo, Bochem, Calc. MUCH easier than physio. (hell, if all of them combined into one class is probably easier than physio.), I'm currently avoiding it like HIV:idea:

You have got to be kidding me ... Not at all funny.

The information is on PharmCAS. However, almost all schools require it, so make it work.

I only know some Texas schools that doesn't require it, here's the list in case you're considering Texas:

University of Houston
The University of Texas at Austin - I heard this was rank 4 in the nation
The University of Oklahoma- not in Texas, but in Oklahoma
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
Texas A&M Kingsville

There's actually only 2 pharmacy schools here that require A&P

Members don't see this ad :)
Howard Univeristy in DC doesn't require A&P either

Don't most pharmacy curricula include physiology? If you don't take it for a prerequisite, it will just be that much harder once you are admitted to pharmacy school.

Don't most pharmacy curricula include physiology? If you don't take it for a prerequisite, it will just be that much harder once you are admitted to pharmacy school.

it's just the physio at my school is very difficult for me, I'm not very good at power point lecture style

it's just the physio at my school is very difficult for me, I'm not very good at power point lecture style

So, it may not be required at OU for admission, but you take it first semester, and it is all power point lecture. Bottom line, just because a school doesn't require it up front does not mean it won't be required later.

I could probably count on one hand the number of non-lab courses I've taken where power point wasn't used. I guess this varies by school, but I'd guess it's something you're going to have to get used to.

I also second the idea that not being good at physio makes it even more important to retake it. If you can't handle it at an undergrad level, what makes you think you're going to do any better in pharmacy school?

I could probably count on one hand the number of non-lab courses I've taken where power point wasn't used. I guess this varies by school, but I'd guess it's something you're going to have to get used to.

I also second the idea that not being good at physio makes it even more important to retake it. If you can't handle it at an undergrad level, what makes you think you're going to do any better in pharmacy school?

Honestly, I can't think of any classes in pharmacy school that were not power point lectures.

Y'know, on a semi-related gripe... I wish people would use PowerPoint presentations as presentation aids, not as something to read their presentations from.

I had A&P I with a fantastic teacher who had very little on the slides except explanatory figures & graphics. I had A&P II with a horrible teacher who read someone else's PowerPoints to us (she was horrible in a lot of other ways too). Guess which part I remember better? Yeah, the one I had to generate my own notes for.

This is not an epidemic limited to Academia, unfortunately.

Generally, I loathe PowerPoint. I think that it can be beneficial in classes where there is a ton of information to gather (A&P for instance) so you can tack on side notes to the main points that are listed on the PowerPoint. Organic Chemistry CAN be helpful as well so you can keep the arrow heads in check with complicated mechanisms; Having said that, most professors (myself included) LOATHE making PowerPoint presentations of 6 step reaction mechanisms, complete with molecular models. I spent as much time working on 7 slides for my thesis presentation that involved molecular models as the 74 other slides of text and pictures.

Having said that, PowerPoint slideshow ultimately screw the intellectually lazy because their common gripe is "I studied the PowerPoint and only made a C." One time, I actually said, "You are aware that there is a textbook for this class as well. Crack open a book and use it. The PowerPoint is NOT the textbook."

OP, if you're worried about learning from a PowerPoint, I'm intrigued to hear what you think about Pharmacy school. You have a very tough road to hoe. Avoiding a class because you're scared of the teacher and PowerPoint is lame and lazy, at best.