Are there any textbooks still worth getting for pediatric residency?

Started by SB100
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SB100

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With Up To Date, DynaMed, etc. there are a lot of resources online for reading in my spare time during residency. That said, if my residency program is still giving book money what should I be getting? I don't imagine I'll need to buy a Nelson's or Rudolph's if I have online resources.
 
With Up To Date, DynaMed, etc. there are a lot of resources online for reading in my spare time during residency. That said, if my residency program is still giving book money what should I be getting? I don't imagine I'll need to buy a Nelson's or Rudolph's if I have online resources.

They might have you review out of a Nelsons for group learning, they do at my residency. Other good books:

Everyone needs:
Harriet Lane (if they don't give you one)
Lange Neonatology

Stronlgy consider as references (ideally on an Ipad as they all weight a ton):
Park's Pediatric Cardiology
Essentials of musculoskeletal care
Zitelli's Atlas of Pediatric Physical diagnosis

If you like to learn subjects by reading books cover to cover:
Baby 411 (desigend for parents, was an amazing book for newborn nursery)
Toddler 411 (same idea, but for Peds clinic)
The Pink Panther Book, a guide to diabetes (this is the book they give to new onset type 1 diabetics, its good for getting down the management of diabetes)
Polin and Yoder's neonatology (this is basically case files for Neonatology, the only problem is that the latest version is 2007, which is a little old for neonatology)
Reading Pediatric EKGs
Essential Pediatric Gastroenterology

I'm sure there's more
 
Last edited:
Any preferences for real books versus ebooks? I have a tablet that I am planning on having with me at the hospital so I was thinking that ebooks would be easier to carry around (and are easily searchable!). Are there any downsides I'm missing?

Can you highlight or underline on ebooks? I've never used a tablet of any kind so I don't know, but for me, I like to underline things or write on the margins if there's info missing that I find important.