Are there any top schools that accept a large greater % of students from State U.'s?

  • SDN Site Updates

    Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
36
Mass
Status (Visible)
I have come to relize that many of the top schools accept a large portion of their class from top ranked undergraduate schools. What schools out there, that are ranked highly (top 20), are more open to accepting student from State Universities? (excluding U. of Cali's)

Or do you think it is much harder to judge this question because most of the students that are from top named undergraduates schools usually have more students scoring in the top percentile on the MCAT?
 

bubbajones

BIG TEX
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
372
1
37
TEXAS
Status (Visible)
If you have a med school in your state they would probably accept you with decent scores. The Ivy's and top schools usually go with the peeps who are in rich private undergrad..or so im told.
 

fullefect1

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2003
790
0
36
Mass
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by bubbajones
If you have a med school in your state they would probably accept you with decent scores. The Ivy's and top schools usually go with the peeps who are in rich private undergrad..or so im told.

Ya, you kinda repeated what I said in my original post. UMass isn't in the top 20. Anyone else......????
 
About the Ads

meanderson

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2003
681
0
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by fullefect1
I have come to relize that many of the top schools accept a large portion of their class from top ranked undergraduate schools. What schools out there, that are ranked highly (top 20), are more open to accepting student from State Universities? (excluding U. of Cali's)

Or do you think it is much harder to judge this question because most of the students that are from top named undergraduates schools usually have more students scoring in the top percentile on the MCAT?

The latter. You can go to Jacksonville State University, put up a 3.9/35 with interesting EC's and good experiences, and you will get interviews at top 20 schools if you apply to schools in that range. Simple as that....
 

Dr. Chiquita

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
533
0
in pajamas
Status (Visible)
What about U Mich?

EDIT: I guess that would be only because they have to accept certain % of Mich residents. Sorry, bad example.
 
B

Blade28

I agree, if you have a good GPA from a state school and MCAT to match, you'll be fairly competitive anywhere.
 

raincrew

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2002
172
0
Status (Visible)
hopkins puts a big emphasis in finding diamonds in the rough and routinely give people love that went to no-name schools.
 

DrJ2B

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
760
0
39
NY
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by raincrew
hopkins puts a big emphasis in finding diamonds in the rough and routinely give people love that went to no-name schools.


That is what I really like about Hopkins. By numbers alone, I would not have gotten an interview there. Hopkins really cares about the total applicant. Regardless of what happens, I am so happy I applied there. HOPKINS RULES! :clap: :clap:
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.