Are there any vet achools which....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Your User Name Here

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Don't require interviews?
2. Allow OOS students to become IS students?

I am looking at the debt involved in going to vet school (eek!), and these seem like 2 easy ways to cut the costs. (Granted, #2 would save far more money in the long-term, but #1 can save some significant cash before even being accepted.)

I have heard Georgia does not require interviews. I have heard some other schools require interviews for IS students only. Also, I am certain that at least a couple schools allow OOS students to become IS students after ~1 year of study.

Members don't see this ad.

1) NCSU, Georgia, Cornell (I believe)
2) NCSU, Washington, Ohio, and Missouri. Maybe UC Davis?

Texas A&M doesn't switch you, but you're essentially guaranteed IS tuition as long as you keep the grades up. At least, this is what my OOS friends have told me.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Won't Penn let you defer acceptance a year to gain residency? I've heard of it before but it may have been situational.

Colorado doesn't interview. I think OK State also doesn't interview OOS. Right?

Oklahoma didn't do interviews for OOS this year, but I thought someone said on the c/o 2020 thread that that might be changing

Wisconsin doesn't interview.

Won't Penn let you defer acceptance a year to gain residency? I've heard of it before but it may have been situational.

The admissions committee at CSU has actually decided to start doing MMI interviews this upcoming application cycle, from what I've heard. I believe the interviews would take place January 15/16 2017, with final decisions going out in February. I also heard they're going to start looking at the analytical section of the GRE for this cycle as well, which they didn't do before either.

The admissions committee at CSU has actually decided to start doing MMI interviews this upcoming application cycle, from what I've heard. I believe the interviews would take place January 15/16 2017, with final decisions going out in February. I also heard they're going to start looking at the analytical section of the GRE for this cycle as well, which they didn't do before either.

Wow! Disregard my post then. Lol

Not sure you can switch residency for Cornell. I was an alternate there this cycle and my letter specifically said that if I were offered a spot, I'd be paying OOS tuition for all 4 years.

Edited to add, Cornell does not do interviews.

Last edited:
Summary:

Don't require interviews:
NCSU*
Georgia
Wisconsin
Cornell (?)
Oklahoma (?) (OOS only)
Oregon (OOS only)

Give IS tuition to OOS students:
NCSU*
Washinton
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis (?)
Texas A&M (If you maintain good grades)

* = On both lists
? = Not certain/may be changing soon

I'm currently gaining PA residency by deferring for a year, but again I believe that's on a case-by-case basis, and is not guaranteed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish Colorado had done interviews sooner.

I feel there is a juicy story here...
I don't want to speak for bats, but I know Colorado is her IS and they rejected her several times. Interviews can be a great opportunity to sell yourself to the school if you don't have great stats, so I would be careful about only applying to schools that don't interview. For instance Georgia takes very few OOS applicants, so unless you have stellar stats I probably wouldn't bother there. Also NCSU requires OOS applicants to have a 3.4 GPA cumulatively, in their required courses, AND in your last 45 credit hours. Not sure if that's an issue for you.

That's great that you're considering ways to save on interview travel costs, but I would more look at applying to schools in neighboring/nearby states that you could drive to rather than flying, schools in cities that tend to have cheap hotels, any schools where you could stay with family/friends rather than getting a hotel, etc. My interview travel costs were a drop in the bucket because I mainly applied to schools in the Midwest, and only got interviews at schools that I was able to drive to, which saves a huge chunk of money with gas prices as low as they are. Like you mentioned, cheaper tuition will save you a lot more money, so I would focus more on schools with cheaper tuition or that allow you to get IS tuition after first year.

Reactions: 1 users
NCSU*
Georgia
Wisconsin
Cornell (?)
Oklahoma (?) (OOS only)
Oregon (OOS only)

NCSU*
Washinton
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis (?)
Tennessee, if you marry an instate resident (or,if you're married and your partner comes with you, gets a full time job and you have a permanent residence)

* = On both lists

Tennessee, if you marry an instate resident (or,if you're married and your partner comes with you, gets a full time job and you have a permanent residence)
I'm sure the first part is true of most schools actually, but it is funny to see UTK on a list like that. As for the second part, are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure your spouse would have to prove that they weren't moving because of your schooling, which would be really hard to do.

I'm sure the first part is true of most schools actually, but it is funny to see UTK on a list like that. As for the second part, are you sure? Because I'm pretty sure your spouse would have to prove that they weren't moving because of your schooling, which would be really hard to do.
Yeah, that does not fly with most schools (about spouse moving for work). I do not have personal experience with UTK; so, perhaps they are different. But, as WZ said it is extremely difficult to prove that your spouse moved only for work.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't want to speak for bats, but I know Colorado is her IS and they rejected her several times. Interviews can be a great opportunity to sell yourself to the school if you don't have great stats, so I would be careful about only applying to schools that don't interview.

That's exactly it. I feel like interviews are my strong point and would be more competitive if i were able to interview.

I spoke to the Dean of admission about it, she said she's had a few students every other year who are married and it applies to them. Basically the rule is, if you're married to a Tennessee resident you get in state tuition, and the requirements for being a Tennessee resident are a full time job and permanent address. The rule doesn't say anything about moving to the state because your married partner is there for school , which maybe is an oversight that other states don't allow. I spoke to students at the school who were aware of the rule, and one OOS students who got instate tuition because of it. It was enough to seriously give me reason to go, since their instate tuition is 10k cheaper than my instate.

Trust me, interviews are your friend. I wouldn't avoid schools that do interviews...

I don't want to speak for bats, but I know Colorado is her IS and they rejected her several times. Interviews can be a great opportunity to sell yourself to the school if you don't have great stats, so I would be careful about only applying to schools that don't interview. For instance Georgia takes very few OOS applicants, so unless you have stellar stats I probably wouldn't bother there. Also NCSU requires OOS applicants to have a 3.4 GPA cumulatively, in their required courses, AND in your last 45 credit hours. Not sure if that's an issue for you.

That's great that you're considering ways to save on interview travel costs, but I would more look at applying to schools in neighboring/nearby states that you could drive to rather than flying, schools in cities that tend to have cheap hotels, any schools where you could stay with family/friends rather than getting a hotel, etc. My interview travel costs were a drop in the bucket because I mainly applied to schools in the Midwest, and only got interviews at schools that I was able to drive to, which saves a huge chunk of money with gas prices as low as they are. Like you mentioned, cheaper tuition will save you a lot more money, so I would focus more on schools with cheaper tuition or that allow you to get IS tuition after first year.

Also I didn't mind interviews because unless it's your only choice I'd be hesitant about accepting an offer without a visit. After getting my letter I ended up driving to OK-State to see it anyway before committing anywhere.

In hindsight I don't know why I applied to UGA either, I was surprised I even got wait-listed.

I spoke to the Dean of admission about it, she said she's had a few students every other year who are married and it applies to them. Basically the rule is, if you're married to a Tennessee resident you get in state tuition, and the requirements for being a Tennessee resident are a full time job and permanent address. The rule doesn't say anything about moving to the state because your married partner is there for school , which maybe is an oversight that other states don't allow. I spoke to students at the school who were aware of the rule, and one OOS students who got instate tuition because of it. It was enough to seriously give me reason to go, since their instate tuition is 10k cheaper than my instate.
OK, this is officially awesome. Thanks for the info!

Trust me, interviews are your friend. I wouldn't avoid schools that do interviews...

I do agree with the fact that interview costs won't make much of a dent in the debt. And they're beneficial. I am almost certain I wouldn't have an acceptance had I not applied to a school where interviews carry a lot of weight.

I do agree with the fact that interview costs won't make much of a dent in the debt. And they're beneficial. I am almost certain I wouldn't have an acceptance had I not applied to a school where interviews carry a lot of weight.
Oh I wasn't even talking about that. It's just nice to know you won't be spending most of your time with sociopaths for the next 4 years. ;) There's a reason why MSU went back to interviewing after not doing so for years... A few still make it in, though. >.>

Oh I wasn't even talking about that. It's just nice to know you won't be spending most of your time with sociopaths for the next 4 years. ;) There's a reason why MSU went back to interviewing after not doing so for years... A few still make it in, though. >.>
That's because their interview style still doesn't give them any indication of who they're dealing with/personality. At least they brought back the interviews though...was a point of contention among a lot of people for a while there. MMI's are good for some attributes, but still pretty bad at allowing a school to get to know who they're accepting.
Quick WZ! Get the boy moved there and that marriage licence!
Illinois allows this as well....unfortunately the idea of saving $100k before interest didn't sway my boyfriend one bit into even looking for a job :whistle:

That's because their interview style still doesn't give them any indication of who they're dealing with/personality. At least they brought back the interviews though...was a point of contention among a lot of people for a while there. MMI's are good for some attributes, but still pretty bad at allowing a school to get to know who they're accepting.

Hmm if anything, I would say their interview style was tailored to find individuals that share the social and emotional characteristics that they look for. Your typical interview style (i.e. why vet med? tell me a time when you did X? etc.) doesn't usually allow you to do that. I obviously can't get into too many specifics because of the NDA you sign, but MSU's interview style looks for your ability to be compassionate, social, etc. I've been on the other end of that interview process this last round and can't believe more vet schools don't use it. There's always those few who are really good at acting/interviewing, though, but they probably would have gotten in if it were a traditional interview as well.

NCSU*
Georgia
Wisconsin
Cornell
Oklahoma (?) (OOS only)
Oregon (OOS only)
Colorado (OOS only) (but they are thinking of doing interviews this year, and I heard they are getting rid of PPi this year)

NCSU*
Washinton
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis (?)
Minnesota (only if you prove you will have a permanent residence in Minnesota, meaning you plan on staying there after vet school for years)

* = On both lists
? = Not certain/may be changing soon[/QUOTE]

Hmm if anything, I would say their interview style was tailored to find individuals that share the social and emotional characteristics that they look for. Your typical interview style (i.e. why vet med? tell me a time when you did X? etc.) doesn't usually allow you to do that. I obviously can't get into too many specifics because of the NDA you sign, but MSU's interview style looks for your ability to be compassionate, social, etc. I've been on the other end of that interview process this last round and can't believe more vet schools don't use it. There's always those few who are really good at acting/interviewing, though, but they probably would have gotten in if it were a traditional interview as well.
I agree to an extent, but I definitely didn't feel that I was able to express myself in the way I would have liked in order to show off who I am. I suppose you could say that means I'm lacking in communication skills, but I don't feel that was the case. I think putting people in a box and asking them to do a certain something, but stay within that box, really takes away from getting to know someone beyond the attributes you are quite obviously trying to observe.

Plus I am still salty about not getting IS tuition/being in my home state :p

Heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets salty about such things. For a while there every time someone mentioned UF...:mad:
I'll probably be complaining about if for years to come, lol. Nothing I can do about it now other than secretly hope my boyfriend suddenly wants to become an IL resident :p

I'll probably be complaining about if for years to come, lol. Nothing I can do about it now other than secretly hope my boyfriend suddenly wants to become an IL resident :p
I at least have that to look forward to...my bf will be a TN resident :shifty:

Heh. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets salty about such things. For a while there every time someone mentioned UF...:mad:

OMG SAME!! Now I don't know what to do with all the UF clothing I've collected over the years :p

NCSU*
Georgia
Wisconsin
Cornell
Oklahoma (?) (OOS only)
Oregon (OOS only)
Colorado (OOS only) (but they are thinking of doing interviews this year, and I heard they are getting rid of PPi this year)

NCSU*
Washinton
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis (?)
Minnesota (only if you prove you will have a permanent residence in Minnesota, meaning you plan on staying there after vet school for years)

* = On both lists

Colorado is getting rid of PPIs (well, technically PPIs are getting rid of themselves). As for interviews, I was told that everyone would be interviewing in the upcoming cycle, OOS included. CSU hasn't conducted interviews for several years now (minus interviewing candidates for a few of the combined programs), so interviews are new for them.

Reactions: 1 users
[/QUOTE]

Colorado also did not interview IS residents. They are getting rid of PPI because the company they go through is stopping the PPI. So everyone is getting rid of PPI. The rumor is that they'll do interviews next application cycle.

Colorado also did not interview IS residents. They are getting rid of PPI because the company they go through is stopping the PPI. So everyone is getting rid of PPI. The rumor is that they'll do interviews next application cycle.[/QUOTE]

Meaning that for those who apply to Colorado this cycle and are granted an interview will get one? Meaning for the class c/o 2021?

NCSU*
Georgia
Wisconsin
Cornell (?)
Oklahoma (?) (OOS only)
Oregon (OOS only)

NCSU*
Washinton
Ohio
Missouri
UC Davis (?)

* = On both lists
I know that if you marry an Oklahoma resident, you get in state tuition! It's the the only way you can get in state tuition once you start vet school.

Meaning that for those who apply to Colorado this cycle and are granted an interview will get one?
I'm not sure what you mean by "[those] that are granted an interview will get one". Yes, if they offer you an interview then you will be able to interview with the school.

Meaning for the class c/o 2021?

Yes, we are referring the the 2016 application cycle (i.e. applying for the class of 2021). Not sure when interview notifications will be going out, but interviews will be in mid-January 2017 and acceptance notifications will go out mid-February 2017.

They haven't shared a lot of details about where interviews will be held this upcoming year, which I would be curious to see. Many schools use interview days as a way to showcase the school and show people around the facilities, but I can't see them holding interviews in the teaching hospital since it's a working hospital (unless they hold interviews on a Saturday/Sunday). My guess is they'll hold them somewhere on main campus (either the Anatomy/Zoology building or Pathology) and then hold tours around the other facilities for the rest of the day.