Are there any Vet Technologists out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willowt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in becoming a Veterinary Technologist. I've already graduated college and have a MBA, but after 12 years in the "corporate world" I am ready to pursue my passion--working with animals/animal welfare. I would very much like to speak with someone currently working as a Vet Technologist to find out how they like the profession..pluses, minuses, etc. It's a little late for me to pursue Vet School at my age, so I'm looking at Vet Technology instead. My career goals at this point would be to work at a zoo or at a nonprofit animal shelter.

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too late to start vet school (we have people in my class in their 40s!). Have you checked out the average pay of vet techs? I'm not a vet tech but that would be a huge reason for me to never do that job, especially because you don't get a lot of respect (in my experience- from clients and employers at times). If I had my MBA and I was int he corporate field and wanted to work with animals...I'd volunteer or something. Sorry I don't have any real advantages...but I can see quite a few disadvantages. Vet technicians are very necessary and deserve a lot more money and respect than they typically receive...so think long and hard about it...it will likely be a HUGE lifestyle change for you.

Last edited:
I live in Orlando,I heard that St.Petersburg community college has a great program in Vet.Technology.I read about it.I think its is great and you can take online as well.I think for me it is going to work.Even is much cheaper than commuting to campus everyday.But you have to be working at least 20 or 40h hours in a clinic before apply.It is 4 years.Good look.