Are there residencies which focus on OB?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

calmike2001

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm really just interested in OB, are there residency programs out there which focus on this? I've heard of "peri-natalogists", who just specialize in OB, what sort of residencies do they need to go to? Thanks for the help!
 
calmike2001 said:
I'm really just interested in OB, are there residency programs out there which focus on this? I've heard of "peri-natalogists", who just specialize in OB, what sort of residencies do they need to go to? Thanks for the help!

I'm about to apply to OBGYN programs and from what I've heard from numerous OB's is that just about every program is strong in OB. What you need to look at to be a good general OBGYN is the amount of gyn surgery.

I'm also more interested in OB. If high risk is what you want to do, then you should look into maternal fetal medicine (which is what perinatologists do) which is a fellowship after OBGYN residency.
 
minime said:
I'm about to apply to OBGYN programs and from what I've heard from numerous OB's is that just about every program is strong in OB. What you need to look at to be a good general OBGYN is the amount of gyn surgery.

I'm also more interested in OB. If high risk is what you want to do, then you should look into maternal fetal medicine (which is what perinatologists do) which is a fellowship after OBGYN residency.


Parkland in Texas has one of the strongest OB programs in the country. There are also quite a few other programs whose focus is OB with gyn being in the background. You can tease these things out by looking at the APGO website.