Medical Are these clinical hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey y'all! Over the summer between my freshman and sophomore year, I worked as an EVS tech at a local hospital for about 25 hours per week. While I know that it isn't directly related to the practice of medicine (at least not in the way that, say, scribing or EMS work might be), I did get to spend a large portion of my time directly interacting with patients and getting to observe how doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals interact with patients as well as what a lot of their days look like on a day to day basis. Part of me feels like this is a stretch, but it was definitely a meaningful and enjoyable experience for me. Is it something that I could consider clinical hours? Thanks so much!
I agree it might be viewed with a quirked adcomm eyebrow if listed as clinical employment, though by the LizzyM definition some of it qualifies. So talk me into it. What percent time did you interact with patients? What was your role when in their presence?

What other "clinical hours do you have?

Members don't see this ad.

My only other clinical hours currently are roughly 100 hours of shadowing, although I'm applying for a few internships through my uni this summer that would offer a couple hundred hours that I could do while balancing some research work at my uni which would be mostly completed by the time I submitted apps. I was probably interacting with patients roughly 40% of the time if I had to make an estimate, although that is definitely a rough estimate. Most of my interactions were oriented toward nonmedical concerns-- patient refused to eat their lunch, needed a few extra pillows or some newpapers or something along those lines-- although occasionally they would express concerns to me that for whatever reason they had either forgotten or not felt comfortable bringing up to the nursing staff that I would then relay to whoever was in charge of their care. The rest of my work was devoted to maintaining a safe environment, primarily by keeping the environment sterile. I definitely felt involved in the care of the patients, but far more in a hospitality sense than a medical sense. I definitely think that that's a valid and necessary role for someone to play, and it gave me a better understanding of all the moving parts that make up a healthcare team, but I still don't know that I'd call it clinical, strictly speaking. I know there's a rule that if you can smell the patient then it's clinical, and please believe me when I say that I could see, touch, and smell the patients, but I don't know how far that rule can be stretched. Either way, thank you so much for your help! I very much appreciate the feedback and the prompt response! Hope you have a lovely day.
Interacting with hospital patients in a "hospitality" role definitely counts as a clinical experience. I think you're safe to list it as such, despite your job title, so long as you are clear on the range of your roles and the good-faith estimate of the percent time interacting with patients.

BTW, 100 hours of dedicated physician shadowing (as opposed to accidental observation) is more than enough, assuming it includes some primary care exposure, ideally in a longitudinal care situation (aka office-based). Fifty hours is the average listed.

Good luck getting an internship for this summer. Develop a backup plan in case it doesn't work out.

I actually received word in the time between posting my last response and your latest response that I've been accepted to a research internship at UTSW. I'll probably do a bit of shadowing between now and then, as I've yet to shadow an oncologist or cardiologist (which are the two specialties I'm more interested in at the moment) but I'm glad that I don't need to be thinking volume so much as quality at this point. I'm planning on applying MD-PhD, so the SURF is probably more useful to me at this juncture than a clinical internship through my uni might be.
Congrats on the research fellowship acceptance!

You're right that robust clinical experience is secondary to substantive research experience for MD/PhD consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.