Are these courses good enough to meet pre req course needs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

engdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi i wonder if the following 4 courses are satisfactory in terms of meeting the pre req needs thanks

Cell Biology : Examination of the principles governing living systems, with emphasis on the molecular and cellular basis of life, molecular genetics, energetics, differentiation, and development.

General Chemistry I : Introductory concepts in chemistry, including reactions of atoms, ions, and molecules, solution stoichiometry, thermochemistry, electronic structure of atoms, basic chemical bonding and molecular geometry, periodic properties of the elements, and the theory of gases.

General Chemistry II : A continuation of 59-140 covering topics such as chemical kinetics, general equilibrium theory, acid-base theory, chemical thermodynamics, and introduction to organic chemistry.

Biological Diversity : Principles governing living systems; the origins and diversity of life; evolution, reproduction, and heredity; the structure and function of viruses through plants and animals; basic principles of ecology.

thanks a year of bio and a year of chem i dunno is that sufficent enough... by the way my dead end school has no pre med advisor cheers thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

Don't think so. You need bio I and II for science majors with lab, and Chem and Orgo I and II (4 semesters total chem), as well as Physics for science majors I and II with labs.

Most schools teach 2 sectios of intro chem and bio, one for pre-med and science students, the others for gen ed reqs. At my school, General is the one for non-science majors and Principles is for science majors.

engdoc said:
hi i wonder if the following 4 courses are satisfactory in terms of meeting the pre req needs thanks

Cell Biology : Examination of the principles governing living systems, with emphasis on the molecular and cellular basis of life, molecular genetics, energetics, differentiation, and development.

General Chemistry I : Introductory concepts in chemistry, including reactions of atoms, ions, and molecules, solution stoichiometry, thermochemistry, electronic structure of atoms, basic chemical bonding and molecular geometry, periodic properties of the elements, and the theory of gases.

General Chemistry II : A continuation of 59-140 covering topics such as chemical kinetics, general equilibrium theory, acid-base theory, chemical thermodynamics, and introduction to organic chemistry.

Biological Diversity : Principles governing living systems; the origins and diversity of life; evolution, reproduction, and heredity; the structure and function of viruses through plants and animals; basic principles of ecology.

thanks a year of bio and a year of chem i dunno is that sufficent enough... by the way my dead end school has no pre med advisor cheers thanks for the help
Check out a MSAR for each school's requirements. That will give you a better idea of what a particular school needs. You really should have a bio I or II (or zoology). I had to take my bio classes at a completely different campus because my school did not offer them (I feel your pain about no pre-med advisor as well).

You have physics, as I recall, but have you done your organic chemistry? That should also be cut and dry (i.e. advanced o-chem will not substitute for it). Make sure you have labs with these classes, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
For MOST schools, you need:

2 years of Biology (12 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of Physics (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of General Chemistry (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of Organic Chemistry (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of English (6 credits)
1 semester of Calc or Stats (3 credits)

Like others said, specific schools may tweak this a little bit (usually by requiring more or less Math/English, or requiring a semester of behavioral sciences or something like that -- the natural sciences requirements are usually the same) so you need to check the MSAR for the schools that you are interested in. As an engineer, you are probably fine as far as the Math requirements go, but you may need to pick up another semester of English (I only had to take 1 semester of English during my Undergrad. Engineering Education.) Also, most schools recommend (and some require) at least 3 credits of Biochemistry. Some schools let you use this to count towards your Biology requirement, but MANY DO NOT, so be careful if you try something like that.

The courses you listed sound like they would count, but, as others have said, they are not sufficient.

jota_jota said:
For MOST schools, you need:

2 years of Biology (12 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of Physics (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of General Chemistry (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of Organic Chemistry (6 credits lecture + 2 credits lab)
1 year of English (6 credits)
1 semester of Calc or Stats (3 credits)

Like others said, specific schools may tweak this a little bit (usually by requiring more or less Math/English, or requiring a semester of behavioral sciences or something like that -- the natural sciences requirements are usually the same) so you need to check the MSAR for the schools that you are interested in. As an engineer, you are probably fine as far as the Math requirements go, but you may need to pick up another semester of English (I only had to take 1 semester of English during my Undergrad. Engineering Education.) Also, most schools recommend (and some require) at least 3 credits of Biochemistry. Some schools let you use this to count towards your Biology requirement, but MANY DO NOT, so be careful if you try something like that.

The courses you listed sound like they would count, but, as others have said, they are not sufficient.

Pretty sure that most schools only require 1 year of Bio.

I'm curious, my BS is in Chemical Engineering, so I have more chem than most would ever want to experience. Gen Chem I & II with lab, Organic I & II NO LAB, Physical Chem I & II NO LAB. However, I have 4 semesters of Chemical Engineering Lab experience.

Is it likely I could substitute my Chemical Engineering Lab experience for Organic?

ohdude said:
I'm curious, my BS is in Chemical Engineering, so I have more chem than most would ever want to experience. Gen Chem I & II with lab, Organic I & II NO LAB, Physical Chem I & II NO LAB. However, I have 4 semesters of Chemical Engineering Lab experience.

Is it likely I could substitute my Chemical Engineering Lab experience for Organic?
Possible, but not likely.

Dr GeddyLee said:
Pretty sure that most schools only require 1 year of Bio.

Yep, some schools require more, but that's not the norm. A lot schools now are either requiring generics or strongly suggesting that you take it, so you should be fine with one year of general bio for majors plus genetics.

ohdude said:
Unfortunately, I don't think it's likely. The schools I applied to were pretty sticky that you had to have labs with all the core science classes. If it were up to me, I'd give you a pass, though - passing phys chem I & II is a very impressive accomplishment - you know waaaay more chemistry than I'll ever know.

It's a shame you didn't have lab with orgo. Orgo lab is actually pretty interesting - if you don't mind the odd face full of volatile hydrocarbons and, of course, the occasional pesky fire.

ohdude said:

The only course that can occasionally be substituted for orgo is biochemistry. The University of Rochester has this policy (as long as it's just one semester), but it's probably not common. Medical schools, unlike graduate schools, are very set in their ways and my feeling is that they do this to give them an added excuse (along with the many that they already have :)) to trim the massive applicant pool.

engdoc said:

NO the Chems count as well as the cell bio but you have much more to do.

Orgo 1 and 2 and Physics 1 and 2

As well as Bio 101 and 102, and one other bio. :luck:

Cell Bio's a good choice but "biological diversity" sounds weak and unlikely to qualify for a semester of Bio.

Not all schools have a "bio I & II" track. The place where I did my postbacc coursework had Cell Bio as a prerequisite to all other Bio courses. Bio I & II was "animal biology" and "plant biology." Neither of them had the sort of focus I was interested in. So my second semester of bio was microbiology (had to petition to take it, but my A in Cell Bio helped) and it was pretty cool.

You'll need to look into the requirements of schools you are considering applying to. One important rule of thumb: only take courses that qualify for the major in that department. Don't take survey or 100-level courses. And like everyone else has said, you'll need a year of physics and o-chem, too, but I trust you knew that. Good luck!

thanks to the guidance of RxnMan , Truth_seeker , jota_jota and Dr GeddyLee i think i finally figured it out! thanks chaps!

Fall 2006 (1st semester Third year)
□ General Chemistry I (If permitted as a non-technical elective)
5 engineering courses

Winter 2007 (OFF)
□ Research and volunteer experience
□ Upgrade Topics in general Chemistry
□ Take General Chemistry II
□ upgrade any winter engineering course that need upgrading

Summer 2007 (2nd semster Third year)
6 engineering courses no chance to take others

Fall 2007(OFF)
□ Physics 1 (if no alternatives)
□ Principles of Biology (Biology 1)
□ Organic Chemistry 1
□ Study for the MCAT

Winter 2008 (1st semester Fourth year)
1 non technical course ( pre-med if dean permits)

Summer 2008 (2nd semster Fourth year)
6 engineering courses including capstone

After graduation:

Fall 2008

Complete remaining course ( 1 semester):
□ Principles of Biology (Biology 2)
□ Organic Chemistry 2

□ Also Study or possibly take the MCAT

Winter 2009
□ Must have MCAT score in by May so must take MCAT in MARCH

Summer 2009
Application process

Fall 2009 hopefully start.

Members don't see this ad :)
engdoc said:
Summer 2009
Application process

Fall 2009 hopefully start.

Engdoc, you apply a year prior to getting in. If you apply summer 2009 it will be to enter in the fall of 2010 because the interview process at medical schools goes on for months. You may take additional coursework during that "glide year" if you want/need to do this.

Reading your academic plans for the next several years gives me a headache. I don't understand why you are completing the engineering degree if what you want to do is go to med school..... but I presume you have your reasons. Yikes, that is a tough haul you've got ahead of you, good luck!

"Winter 2009
□ Must have MCAT score in by May so must take MCAT in MARCH"

I think if you take the computerized MCAT in April, your score will be back in May. I think it will only take a month using the computerized version, but I am unsure.

thanks for the comments. i don't get it mamadoc... if i was to apply in may/march of 2009 u don't think by the following sept. i would get in? its that long... damn ! and about the engineering thing... well i went into engineering instead of a biology or another science for the reason to have a back-up incase things don't go too well with the medical thing. and besides if i can learn how to fix cars and fix humans there is no stopping me lol just kidding but its a backup plan mainly and a passion second. cheers

engdoc said:
thanks for the comments. i don't get it mamadoc... if i was to apply in may/march of 2009 u don't think by the following sept. i would get in? its that long... damn ! and about the engineering thing... well i went into engineering instead of a biology or another science for the reason to have a back-up incase things don't go too well with the medical thing. and besides if i can learn how to fix cars and fix humans there is no stopping me lol just kidding but its a backup plan mainly and a passion second. cheers

? I'm pretty sure you don't learn how to fix cars with an engineering degree.

engdoc said:

I might just have missed it, but I didn't see Physics 2 anywhere in your schedule--you'll need to find somewhere to fit that in, too. Also, I understand you have a lot to cram in, but I'm a little concerned that there will be a year's time between taking Organic I and Organic II (it might also affect Bio, but probably not quite as much). If you review the material before Organic II, you might be okay, but that's a lot of time and you might have forgotten everything in the interim. Just something to consider!

And yes, if you apply in June/July of 2009 (you can't apply before the beginning of June), you won't actually start med school until the fall of 2010. After you submit your primary AMCAS application in the summer of 2009, it will take a few months for schools to send you secondary applications (sometimes just $$, sometimes up to several more essays). Interviews could start as early as September 2009 for regular decision, and probably go through at least February-March 2010 (some schools might go as late as May 2010). The earliest a school is supposed to let you know if you've gotten in is October 15, 2009, but even if you get an acceptance at that time, schools don't start until the fall, so you'd be looking at a Fall 2010 start date. Hope this helps, and good luck!! :luck:

MaryWrathers said:
"Winter 2009
□ Must have MCAT score in by May so must take MCAT in MARCH"

I think if you take the computerized MCAT in April, your score will be back in May. I think it will only take a month using the computerized version, but I am unsure.

Hi there,
Unfortunately, we do not know what the score report schedule will be for the new computerized MCAT. I can tell you that when USMLE went computerized, it still took six weeks to get the scores back. That hasn't changed.

Also be sure to look at the locations for taking the MCAT. In some cases, people will have to travel up to 100 miles to get to a testing center to take this exam. While having more options for the MCAT in terms of testing dates, there might be significant travel involved.

Keep up to date as the computerized MCAT evolves. It sounds like it is going to be great for taking the test when you peak but it might be a hassle finding a test center close by that can accomodate you.

njbmd :)

Everyone's right about applying in 2009 = starting med school in fall 2010.

I also don't understand why the eng degree; starting out with a backup plan now is a recipe for unhappiness. Choose your path and go for it 100%, don't plan now for failure. An engineer who would rather have been a doctor is a very unhappy engineer. If you don't get into med school the first time, then you just keep working towards that goal. You don't work towards two conflicting goals at the same time (and eng school is an even bigger challenge than normal if you don't really want to be doing it).

One other thing: Bio 1 and 2 is the minimum, but you would be a lot happier with more bio background. All that chem, phys and engineering is near-useless in med school. A nice genetics course and a bit of physio or something to round out your education would make first year easier, in my opinion. (It certainly would have made my first year easier.)

MeowMix said:
I also don't understand why the eng degree; starting out with a backup plan now is a recipe for unhappiness. Choose your path and go for it 100%, don't plan now for failure. An engineer who would rather have been a doctor is a very unhappy engineer.
I say having a backup plan depends on what YOUR interests are. If you like engineering AND want to go premed, then by all means do so. Engineers are highly regarded by adcoms from what I understand.

As an aside, I was in a program where as a Chemistry major I needed to only do 1.5 year more of coursework to have a ChemE degree. Since it has been over 10 years and I have not yet matriculated in med school, I would say that is one thing I would definitely change if I could. Sometimes not matriculating in med school has nothing to do with not getting accepted just bad timing. And it would have been nice to pull a ChemE salary as opposed to that of a Chemist (~30K difference) while I "waited" for the wrong time to become the right one.

Good luck!

another reason for me completing my engineering degree is because i never really thought i would want to pursue my dream of being a doctor so i kind of pulled of a 70 average in the first 2 years of my engineering thus far... but i hear that if i step it up (90+) in the next 2 years then i have a chance... is this true....

now... if you still think i have a chance... what would you say i do for the next 2 months or so while i'm sitting here waiting for school to start in sept.

MeowMix said:
Everyone's right about applying in 2009 = starting med school in fall 2010.

I also don't understand why the eng degree; starting out with a backup plan now is a recipe for unhappiness. Choose your path and go for it 100%, don't plan now for failure. An engineer who would rather have been a doctor is a very unhappy engineer. If you don't get into med school the first time, then you just keep working towards that goal. You don't work towards two conflicting goals at the same time (and eng school is an even bigger challenge than normal if you don't really want to be doing it).

One other thing: Bio 1 and 2 is the minimum, but you would be a lot happier with more bio background. All that chem, phys and engineering is near-useless in med school. A nice genetics course and a bit of physio or something to round out your education would make first year easier, in my opinion. (It certainly would have made my first year easier.)
Thanks! I feel so good about my career choices now!

I'm kidding. My degree got me my current job, which was a good backup when I didn't get in the first time. I also know that the connections I made at my job will help me in four years when I apply for residencies. Sadly, it did not help me learn how to fix my car.

Engdoc, I thought we had covered this in your other thread, but you need to apply a year before you plan to matriculate. It's a long process, and there's just no way around it. It's not like grad school - in med school they have to interview a large portion of the applicant pool.

You can still decome a physician, you just have to work hard at it. You have the rest of your life - do you want to spend it doing something other than your dream?

what do you recommend i further read or do during the next 2 months while i sit here and wait for fall to come... read a lil chem... bio... what books do you recommend waht topics along those lines... cheers

engdoc said:
what do you recommend i further read or do during the next 2 months while i sit here and wait for fall to come... read a lil chem... bio... what books do you recommend waht topics along those lines... cheers

Volunteering for your favorite (or second favorite) charity is always a good choice! You'll need it for your application and this was one unexpected "weakness" in my application last year (I had experience from years prior, emphasis on years prior :rolleyes: ).

there are multiple general physics classes offered at my school, plus the ones for engineering, how do i know which one to take that actually satisfy the physics requirements for all the schools........thanks