Are they getting rid of Plastic Surgery Fellowships and moving towards only integrated programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that plastic surgery is moving to the integrated model and getting rid of plastic fellowships after 5 years of general surgery? Is there any truth to this and if so by what year will all the plastic fellowships kinda dry up completely moving to the integrated model?

I know there was a push for CT surgery to go in the same direction by 2020 but it was stopped

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure it's currently somewhere around 40%/60% in terms of spots. Unless you have a credible source/reference for discussion... it's hard to give any more specific insight.

I've heard the same. I don't know anything about the integrated track because it's essentially a moot point for me but SF match has their stats from previous matches on their website.

The number of positions hasn't changed much over the past few years despite the general consensus being more and more programs will be transitioning. It actually increased from 2012 to 2013 (87 to 95). I'm interested in seeing what the numbers look like this year, though. UNC dropped pretty unexpectedly. Duke is gone after this year and I've confirmed with Mayo next year will be their last. Penn is also considering dropping their independent track per their coordinator. It's gonna get pretty interesting the next couple of years... I'm happy I'm only one more cycle out...

Members don't see this ad :)
I can tell you they were talking about that when I was in medical school; I was in medical school in the 20th Century.

Pre-USMLE world and iPhone? How did you live?????

Reactions: 1 user
Pre-USMLE world and iPhone? How did you live?????
LOL ... it was rough man. If we wanted to call someone, we used this machine that you had to put dimes in.

(The dearth of pay phones was why I ended up getting my first cell phone. It was a real nuisance to be away from home, get a page and not be able to find a pay phone. My first phone was some sort of flip phone thing that only made calls. No texting, no SDN, no surfing the Internet. It could only be used to make calls and tell time.)

My first cell phone was a Nokia brick. I used it so I could call my mom to pick me up from all my awesome extracurricular that got me into Ivy league college, which got me into Top 20 med school, which matched me into Top 1 specialty. Hence, I owe my cell phone EVERYTHING. It defines me.

Reactions: 1 users
Numbers are out for this year. Match rate was 75% down from 86% with 20 fewer spots. Mayo and Duke both dropping their independent programs. Ouch.