Are you getting a new car?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pumpUup

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys.
I was wondering if it's better to deliver my car to the dental school or get a new one.

If you guys got accepted to out of state dental schools, I want to hear what you guys think.

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on how you plan to purchase that new car. Make an economical decision.

I could never part with my 02 wrx. Its my baby, I'm taking it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can anticipate two schools of thought on this one...

1) You're already taking on big debt, so what's a new car going to hurt?

2) Don't take out any more $ than you need, and a new car is definitely not something you need (assuming your current one still works).

Being from Michigan, I LOVE cars, but I'm all about the second philosophy. You don't need a car payment while in school (assuming you could even get financed), nor do you need to take out another $10k (or whatever) for a good used car. You've got time, why not drive the car to wherever you'll be going to school? If you're not into road trips, you could have it trailored over for a lot less $$ than the cost of a new car.

Transport is usually like $500 vs the price of a new car.

Transport is usually like $500 vs the price of a new car.
Do you know where I can contact to deliver my car?
And is it ok to put my other stuffs such as TV, printer, PC in a car trunk to save money on delivering those as well?

I could never part with my 02 wrx. Its my baby, I'm taking it.
I had an 05 WRX, and now an 08.

Do you know where I can contact to deliver my car?
And is it ok to put my other stuffs such as TV, printer, PC in a car trunk to save money on delivering those as well?
No sorry. Just search for cross-country auto transport (or check for the Auto-Train which allows you to take ur car on Amtrak as you go to your school).

You shouldn't put any valuables in the car while shipping it. They are not liable if they lose or damage it(only your car).

haha, I have never owned a car or had a car that I could say is "my" car. I have taken the bus everywhere and have had the bus schedule memorized for years. For dental school, I am taking the car that my brother currently drives to high school every day. This will be the first time that I am going to be driving on a regular basis. A new car? That's scary.

When I said 'a new car' i didn't mean the brand new 2010 model. I meant new car as uhm...used car that I can ....errr how should I explain this, LOL.

you know what I mean ;)

:eek:why in the world would you wanna buy a new car if you could drive over anywhere in US within 2 days, and why would you say "ship" the car to DS when you could drive it over yourself!
I am from California moving to Ft. Lauderdale (NOVA), It would make for a very nice road trip and just 2 days on the road. Plus I always spend 3000 miles in the summer on camping and road trips....

Unless you have a very old car that might break down on your way across the US, keep your old car, save your money for food and living expenses instead of a new car....:D

shipped my old car from KY to CA cost me $600ish. You can put everything you want in the car. But be careful, we put our glass coffee table in and it broken by itself two weeks after the delivery. Might got "internal damage" during shipment. :rolleyes: