ARE YOU GOING TO ASTRO!?! :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing this question, over and over and over again every single year. I'm tired of just saying, "No" followed by uncomfortable silence from the vendor who asked me. Sometimes I try to be humorous saying, "Oh I never go to ASTRO when it is in [whatever city it is in]." But that usually falls flat too.

What do you guys say?

Members don't see this ad.

I keep hearing this question, over and over and over again every single year. I'm tired of just saying, "No" followed by uncomfortable silence from the vendor who asked me. Sometimes I try to be humorous saying, "Oh I never go to ASTRO when it is in [whatever city it is in]." But that usually falls flat too.

What do you guys say?
You always say “No, I did ASCO and RSNA. I need a break.”

Members don't see this ad :)

What do you guys say?
No because they pick the same ****ty locations like chi town or the river walk. I'll definitely be there at south beach or SD though.

Or you could say, you're just hitting up the refresher at a later date?

Last edited:
This year I've alternated with:

"No...wait, you mean like, in-person? They're still doing that?" then I chuckle and ask if they get overtime/some other "corporate watercooler" joke to segue out of the conversation.

"No, but I'll happily take whatever swag you guys are giving out this year, show me the goods." Again with a chuckle.

Except I'm not joking about the swag. I want all of it. Always.

Reactions: 1 users
You know that tall machine with a big plate of glass in the front that dispenses Cheetos, Funions, and Hershey Bars.
I recently started a smoking inception program locally and have been getting lots of swag from Winston and rjr. Just trying to help the next gen.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
SURELY

There has been an oncologist somewhere in American history named RJ Reynolds
Anecdote:

Moved to a new state last century. At the time smoking was allowed in the grocery store; planes as well.

Woman smoking near me in the produce section blew a puff my way.

"Does my smoking bother you?" She demanded.

Me-Well m'am it's a free country...and I am an oncologist...I see money in the bank.

I felt badly but was happy to have something to confess that weekend

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

What do you guys say?

"No"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

What do you guys say?

Not this year clinic is too busy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My dentist actually had a "no anesthesia root canal" appointment open up, so I bailed on the conference.

• Haha
  • Love
Does anyone know why the first big conference day for Astro is always Sunday instead of Saturday? It seems like more people could at least partially attend if it started on a Saturday. It is too much of a hack to try and arrange coverage during the conference so I've given up even trying to attend at this point.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know why the first big conference day for Astro is always Sunday instead of Saturday? It seems like more people could at least partially attend if it started on a Saturday. It is too much of a hack to try and arrange coverage during the conference so I've given up even trying to attend at this point.
I think more name brand organizations have the facilities reserved at those times. I believe it was NAMBLA this year.

• Haha
  • Okay...
Reactions: 4 users
Have had the same thought for years

But, unless you are part of the inner circle, don’t dare criticize them or their journal!

This concern has been raised for years. In response ASTRO started the PRO program five years ago.

From the website

PRO Program​

Saturday, October 22 - Sunday, October 23​

Returning for its fifth year, the Practical Radiation Oncology (PRO) Program continues to support the field with a two-day program specifically designed for the community practice radiation oncologist. This program takes place Saturday and Sunday to allow for doctors unable to leave their practice for a week to attend the premier scientific radiation oncology event. Program content is curated to address the needs of a community practice physician and will include disease site reviews, interactive case-based discussions, a coding update and a scientific overview. New this year, in addition to being available at a discounted rate as a weekend-only event, the PRO Program will also be included in the full registration package allowing all attendees access.

In addition many of the ASTRO Committees meet on Saturday (as does the Board).

You do miss out on the "science" presented on Monday-Wednesday.

I've been to some of that PRO stuff before. Very variable in terms of quality and usefulness unless you are super out date. Not really worth the effort to attend because of that offering and Saturday Astro is basically a ghost town. Seems very on point for Astro to basically have one meeting for "community" rad oncs and another for the real rad oncs who don't need to worry about coverage.

I've been to some of that PRO stuff before. Very variable in terms of quality and usefulness unless you are super out date. Not really worth the effort to attend because of that offering and Saturday Astro is basically a ghost town. Seems very on point for Astro to basically have one meeting for "community" rad oncs and another for the real rad oncs who don't need to worry about coverage.
For many practicing rad oncs, it’s committing Medicare fraud just to attend ASTRO!

• Haha

>50% of the cost of the meeting but only 2 days and it's not offered virtually. Targeted to "community" physicians who presumably dont have a lot of CME funds and cant get coverage. Bold strategy Cotton.

Virtual costing more than in person.

Ticketed events (!!) at a conference that is extremely expensive compared to peers even while in crappy locations.

Charging for (VIRTUAL!) poster submissions.

ASTRO is the worst nickel and dimer in my life and I have like 15 subscription services and fly a lot. If they stopped that nonsense that would go a long way to making me a more engaged member.

I've been to PRO too. It's the same tired stuff copied, pasted and regurgitated ad infinitum.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been to PRO too. It's the same tired stuff copied, pasted and regurgitated ad infinitum.
I knew it wasn’t worth it when I sat through a whole thing about treating/contouring in lung cancer and the major point of advice was to use the lung windows.

• Haha
see I disagree. I hate it when conferences take my weekend time. I'd rather take the time during the week and find coverage.

Reactions: 8 users
ASTRO membership cost is too high, and you're not going to become a fellow in private practice.... and haven't been to the meeting in probably 5 years.

scihub ftw.

But.. I do go to ACRO as they do it somewhere warm. Much simpler to attend, smaller venue.

Reactions: 1 users