Are You Happy With Your Decision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious about whether or not the LCSW's on this board are happy with their choice in career? It seems to me like most of you have either decided to leave the field for a different profession (pingouin), have found that the ceiling for social work is lower than you had hoped (SingleGirl), or have been faced with daunting, and sometimes bleak, employment prospects forcing you to go on for more education just to land a decent full-time job (WannaBeDrMe). This makes me nervous since I kinda saw the MSW as the magic bullet to the "What am I going to do with my life?" question, and to hear from a messageboard of professionals that they are pretty much all leaving the profession because it was either:

A) unfulfilling

B) limiting

or

C) a death-trap of dead-end jobs

Is quite nerve-wracking. Is their anyone on here who is a licensed social worker who has found the field to be all that you hoped it would be and are very happy and fulfilled by it and can't imagine doing anything else?:hardy: I know thats a lofty expectation, but I can always hope, right?

P.s. For those who have decided to go on for a PhD or PsyD because they found social work to be too limiting: How so? What were you unable to do with your MSW/LCSW that you would be able to do with a PhD/PsyD (barring testing, research, and teaching obviously because I couldn't care less about all three of those :D)? I ask only because I had heard from a number of social workers AND psychologists that the only real PRACTICAL difference between LCSW's and psychologists is that psychologists can do testing, and social workers can't (I leave out the teaching and research part because I could always do that with a PhD in social work). Is this true? If no, what other differences have you noticed?

Sorry, long post, but I just had to get these concerns off of my chest. As a side-note though, I want you all to know that I am not criticizing your decision to leave social work, I'm just curious about what caused you to leave. Thanks, your all awesome :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

First off, let me say that although I am switching careers, I will still always consider myself a social worker- just perhaps not practicing as one. I'm 4 days into med school orientation and already seeing how what I've been doing will enhance my ability to practice medicine. (ie, While reviewing case studies, recognizing barriers to a patient receiving medical care and being aware of how to approach him/her about these and resources to help overcome them.) How social work has taught me to think isn't going to go away anytime soon.

So as I'm not practicing anymore- and 2 weeks out, I'm already missing it- I will say that anything social work couldn't offer me wasn't social work's fault. I have ALWAYS had a dream of being a doctor, and started college as a pre-med back in the Stone Age. Social work was my "Plan B" when that didn't work out, and I've never regretted that decision. About 4 years ago, I met a few physicians socially, and started to have "What if I'd..." thoughts which spurred my decision to go back to school. A PhD (social work, psych, whatever) would not have allowed me to do what I want to do, so medicine was the only route. So ultimately, it was just coming full circle for me rather than a drastic change of heart. Although I've certainly been dissatisfied with some employers I've had, as a whole I've really enjoyed my career. I told another SDNer who's making a similar career shift this year that I wish I *did* have ill feelings about the field because that would have made it much easier to leave.

Do what you feel is right for you at this time. If it turns out that later on your goals are different, you can adjust as needed. Think of me as your own personal example (or horrible warning ;)) that it's never too late to change your mind.

I'm going to write a very thoughtful response when I haven't just read another scathing article about how our beloved governor screwed us. Ok?

For the moment, I agree w/P (congrats on medical school btw) in that I will always be a social worker. I am proud to call myself a social worker. I just need to get additional training for a number of reasons... personal and professional.

I think the reason you see MSW's transitioning here is because this is a place for transitioning students. If there are social work messageboards, and I don't know if there are, I'm sure you could find many content individuals who are stable in their careers.

I'm sorry if my worries have discouraged anyone from the field... I need to be more careful of how I share things. I only intend to offer a flip side for more informed decisions... and of course, to vent my personal frustrations. There are lots of good things about the field as well.

I'll write more as soon as I don't hate mental health. K?

Members don't see this ad :)
edit

Last edited:
"I ask only because I had heard from a number of social workers AND psychologists that the only real PRACTICAL difference between LCSW's and psychologists is that psychologists can do testing, and social workers can't (I leave out the teaching and research part because I could always do that with a PhD in social work). Is this true? If no, what other differences have you noticed?"

While this might be true in some settings (e.g.,community mental health center), the real differences are much deeper. The two fields differ quite a bit in their orientation regarding the development and treatment of psychopathology. Additionally, the differ on the skills sets needed for the training. Without coming off too harshly, a doctorate in clinical psych equip one with a much deeper and higher level understanding of psychopathology, as well as the deeper knowledge base with which to critically evaluate and question clincial (as well as methodological) phenomena. This is true of any doctorate vs any masters though. I would also remind people that that the study of psychopathology is just one of the many aspects and subject matters encompassed in the doctorate. Do not circumscribe clinical psychology too narrowly. Therapy and assessment is just one of things clinical psychologists do. Many psychologist's work outside of strictly clinical settings as consultants, research consultants, test developers, statisticians, professors, business, court systems, etc. However, in clinical settings, I find that clinical psychologists bring important insights into some of the nuances of diagnosis and treatment planning that others, including social workers, do not. Clinical psychologists (Ph.Ds) are also trained heavily in statistics and research methodology. You should be prepared to embrace a new way, or at least a higher level, of thinking about clinical phenomena.

Although clinical psych is broad in scope and will prepare you with a range of skills, the field is also becoming more and more specialized and niched. Neuropsycholoogy, health psychology, forensic, child, etc. I do not think this (specializations) is something MSWs have. At least I am not aware of it. Chances are, you are going to need to specialize in someway in order to keep yourself marketable in clinical settings in the next 10-20 years. Reimbursement rates for the therapeutic hour have gone down the drain recently, and if you want to make it worth your while monetarily, you need something more marketable than "therapy." You guys already do that. Reimbursement rates for psychometric assessment have also taken a hit recently by the way. As masters level therapy practitioners continue to encroach on the market, clinical psychology is shifting accordingly. Overall, I think unless you are working in your own private practice or at the local community mental health center, the job, the focus, and your duties as a clincial psychologist will be markedly different from that of an MSW.

Last edited:
Although clinical psych is broad in scope and will prepare you with a range of skills, the field is also becoming more and more specialized and niched. Neuropsycholoogy, health psychology, forensic, child, etc. I do not think this (specializations) is something MSWs have. At least I am not aware of it.

Yes actually, it is. Not all MSWs are interchangeable or created equal. MSWs pick a "concentration", which includes required and elective classes and field placement specific to that area of practice. These include but are not limited to: health, clinical, school, geriatric, children and families, community, and administrative. It can be difficult to switch into a different type of SW after graduation. Health MSWs don't typically take psychopathology courses, therefore they are usually not prepared to enter mental health-related jobs. School MSWs are probably not going to be hired at nursing homes. I have multiple previous posts about this if anyone wants to do a search.

Ok, I'm finally ready to type... I think.

First of all, with your MSW, it will not be a magic bullet. However, I don't think a PsyD or any other degree would be a magic bullet either.

Healthcare, in general, is in crisis. It is not even close to hitting rock bottom and mental health care is a luxury and not standard of care at this time. As the economy worsens, mental health problems will increase but access to care will decrease making the mental health problems increase more and the access to services decrease more due to overloading of cases, etc, etc, cycle of dysfunction and illness.

Roles shift all the time for all professionals in this field so don't like one area or another tell you that their's is more stable than another... b/c it isn't... not at all. What doctors do is changing, what nurses do is changing, what psychs do is changes, what social workers do is changing... healthare is being forced to evolve to survive.

So, I don't know if I said this before, but my number one piece of advice is just to know your market. Not just your market either, pick 5 markets you might consider working in and research each of those... b/c it is much more difficult to get a job than you might think. There are 3 groups of people competing for your job as NEW GRADS alone. Masters counselors, psychologists, and social workers all get in line for the same positions... In a lot of markets (mine) these new grads are also up against old timers w/a lot more experience and more connections in the field. So, if within a 60 mile radius, you have one college with all of those programs, you'll see at least 60 people going for the same job as you if ONLY new graduates are seeking work... IF ONLY local graduates are seeking work, IF ONLY local agencies are hiring, etc, etc, etc. Live in a town, like me, where everyone wants to move (I live @ the beach) and you have an even greater shortage of options.

Check reimbursement rates for your state. In my state, certain services are billed exactly the same for all masters level clinicians. The psychs can do testing but social workers can practice individually without supervision once fully licensed (saving some cash or at least hassle) -- keep in mind that though testing is a benefit, a lot of smaller agencies might not be willing to buy the testing materials for you so that would come out of your pocket... especially if you are trying to open your own private practice... and those things aren't cheap if you plan to exist on purely testing materials...

hmm, what else... Market research would help the most I think... give you the most information to work with before confirmation of a decision.

With my decision to go on to another degree, I will be much, much, much more marketable. Doctoral level professionals are increasing in number, but are certainly far more rare than masters level clinicians. I will be eligible for better teaching jobs. I will be at the top of the food chain in my state's mental health system (and thus in high demand)... I will have a broader skillset to approach clients and situations and their communities...

to those who tell you that social work/psych are two totally different animals, I disagree... I was trained as a psychiatric social worker and my internship was practically a psychiatric residency where I spent hours alongside the psychiatrist who forced me to learn biological bases, clinical neuro basics, psychopharm chemistries/reactions/rx's, variations of symptomology based upon progression of disease, etc... Coming out of grad school, I was pretty disappointed to find out that very few masters level clinicians (none in my first 2 agencies) had anywhere near the same mental health background and were still finding their way through the basics of mood disorders...

So, I mean, there are some superficial programs and graduates... but there are also some hardcore experiences that will prep you to hold your own with the best of them... and come out on top :) it will become what you make of it... and I'm just tired of fighting the system.

Hope you are well. Good luck w/your choice.

"to those who tell you that social work/psych are two totally different animals, I disagree... Iwas trained as a psychiatric social worker and my internship was practically a psychiatric residency where I spent hours alongside the psychiatrist who forced me to learn biological bases, clinical neuro basics, psychopharm chemistries/reactions/rx's, variations of symptomology based upon progression of disease, etc... Coming out of grad school, I was pretty disappointed to find out that very few masters level clinicians (none in my first 2 agencies) had anywhere near the same mental health background and were still finding their way through the basics of mood disorders..."

No offense but this a a laughable exaggeration. I am glad you got some "extra knowledge" with your internship, but the difference between psych and social work are pronounced in both their overall orientations and their job descriptions. I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about diagnoses and all, but the differences I was speaking of are at more fundamental and theoretical level. Moreover, as you pointed out, the friendly psychiatrist who gave this crash course in psychiatry was was the excpetion, not the rule.

"to those who tell you that social work/psych are two totally different animals, I disagree... Iwas trained as a psychiatric social worker and my internship was practically a psychiatric residency where I spent hours alongside the psychiatrist who forced me to learn biological bases, clinical neuro basics, psychopharm chemistries/reactions/rx's, variations of symptomology based upon progression of disease, etc... Coming out of grad school, I was pretty disappointed to find out that very few masters level clinicians (none in my first 2 agencies) had anywhere near the same mental health background and were still finding their way through the basics of mood disorders..."

No offense but this a a laughable exaggeration. I am glad you got some "extra knowledge" with your internship, but the difference between psych and social work are pronounced in both their overall orientations and their job descriptions. I'm sure you are very knowledgeable about diagnoses and all, but the differences I was speaking of are at more fundamental and theoretical level. Moreover, as you pointed out, the friendly psychiatrist who gave this crash course in psychiatry was was the excpetion, not the rule.

I'm way too tired to argue but I stand by my statements which were clear in that I was comparing myself to other masters level practitioners in mental health.