are you happy with your job?

Started by moadiem
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

moadiem

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am debating whether to go into law, ortho or plastic surgery.
Can anyone give me their opinion? experiences?
I am currently in the medical field but am going to continue forward for a higher degree. I love medicine but am looking for a not so stressful job. Law is pretty stressful. Is ortho or plastic's stressful? what are the hours like? What are the con's? What are the pro's? Is it harder to find jobs? Do you find that is it better in a hospital, solo or group setting? What about malpractice license? I heard that people are having a really hard time with the cost.
 
I am debating whether to go into law, ortho or plastic surgery.
Can anyone give me their opinion? experiences?
I am currently in the medical field but am going to continue forward for a higher degree. I love medicine but am looking for a not so stressful job. Law is pretty stressful. Is ortho or plastic's stressful? what are the hours like? What are the con's? What are the pro's? Is it harder to find jobs? Do you find that is it better in a hospital, solo or group setting? What about malpractice license? I heard that people are having a really hard time with the cost.


I think you just want to make money. You love medicine, but are looking for a "not so stressful job"? That's an oxymoron. And really funny. Medicine isn't a job, it's a lifestyle commitment. It's not a 9-5. If you want that, go be a banker. They make good money and have no stress. And have lots of holidays off. Go start your own internet business and work from home. But please, don't go into medicine. I'm not quite sure you're cut out for medicine. In fact, I'm absolutely positive. I don't think you know anything about surgery or medicine in general. Asking about the pro's and con's of two of the more lucrative surgical subspecialties sheds light on your true motivations.

That's my opinion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think you just want to make money. You love medicine, but are looking for a "not so stressful job"? That's an oxymoron. And really funny. Medicine isn't a job, it's a lifestyle commitment. It's not a 9-5. If you want that, go be a banker. They make good money and have no stress. And have lots of holidays off. Go start your own internet business and work from home. But please, don't go into medicine. I'm not quite sure you're cut out for medicine. In fact, I'm absolutely positive. I don't think you know anything about surgery or medicine in general. Asking about the pro's and con's of two of the more lucrative surgical subspecialties sheds light on your true motivations.

That's my opinion.

No lucrative job is 9-5 and stress-free.
 
I am debating whether to go into law, ortho or plastic surgery.
I am always intrigued as to how pre-meds know exactly what kind of specialized surgeon they're going to be, especially when the county is facing a PCP shortage. Is this a holly-wood effect, I seriously don't get it. Consider shadowing some of these specialists and formulate your own opinions, this should be the strongest way for you to find your answers. 🙂

Can anyone give me their opinion? experiences?
I am currently in the medical field but am going to continue forward for a higher degree.
It must not be a clinical field then? My experience in medicine has been a rewarding yet pain-staking one. Lots of hard work. My perspective of medicine is now a little jaded as I think insurance companies are ******ED and I have learned that I can't help people who don't want to help themselves. I've also been yelled at, disrespected and pooped and vomitted on several times. Being a medical student/doctor isn't glorious. It's humbling. Make sure you're going into it for the RIGHT reasons.

I love medicine but am looking for a not so stressful job.
Define stress. Stress is different for everyone. If you think law is stressful, I humbly suggest that you really stop and ask yourself if either field is appropriate.

Law is pretty stressful. Is ortho or plastic's stressful?
:laugh::laugh::laugh:. Oh boy, I just watched an Attdg the other day have to answer to some lawyers...I didn't think the lawyer was stressed out at all...

what are the hours like? What are the con's? What are the pro's? Is it harder to find jobs? Do you find that is it better in a hospital, solo or group setting? What about malpractice license? I heard that people are having a really hard time with the cost.
1. Hours- They are definitely not 9-5. Med school 4yrs, General Surgery residency 5yrs, PRS Fellowship 3yrs which will follow your GS residency. Ortho residency= 5 yrs. These are not 9-5hrs...You'll be 33 if you go straight out of med-school...This is committment, pure drive, intelligence, perseverance & hard work. I have 2 relatives that are surgeons, one a PRS and one a GS, I got to tell you this is not cake. I scrubbed with my PRS relative, when it was 2am in the morning and he was going to put a skull back together...It's sacrifice...
I am in no position to tell you which way to take your life, but based on what you've stated it doesn't seem as if though the surgical life-style would meet your needs. Have you considered other fields of medicine? Let's see the nation is facing a shortage of PCP's -> namely FM doctors, they do perform minor procedures, would this be appealing to you? They do have a better life-style and some make great salaries. I know one that makes 200K and works 4 days a week as part of a group. I know another that makes 500K and works with his spouse in private practice...
Law is 3yrs and I personally can't see the stress there. I dated a lawyer and he had 9-5 hrs, sometimes 12-4, made a nice 200K a year litigating tobacco laws...he had weekends off, evenings off and wasn't on call.
2. Hospital group/solo/group setting- Hold your horses, get through medschool first, IMHO, your concerns are premature. The system may be different when/if you get around. I personally like Hospital group and solo.
3. Malpractice costs- Depends on your field, again your concerns are premature. You sound like you're quite concerned about finances. People don't go into medicine to make money these days. What sources have you used to look into these concerns?

Hope this helped!

G'luck with your future endeavours. Do you absolutely have to be a lawyer or doctor? I mean have you considered being a teacher or getting an MHA or something along those lines. There are great salaries and job security there too...

A

P.S. So not to high-jack the thread, but how many of you physicians out there would send your kids to med-school to follow in your foot-steps? I don't know, I'm kinda undecided at this point...
 
P.S. So not to high-jack the thread, but how many of you physicians out there would send your kids to med-school to follow in your foot-steps? I don't know, I'm kinda undecided at this point...

Def. will discourage them, and promote other activities
 
I am debating whether to go into law, ortho or plastic surgery...
First, you need to decide on being a physician vs lawyer (if those are your career choices after you get into college and/or finish). It is almost impossible to decide what subspecialty you want before you have even decided on being a physician. You need to shadow some folks in different fields of medicine and get an idea. Avoid the high end, ritzy type physicians as well as may give you a false impression.
...I am currently in the medical field but am going to continue forward for a higher degree...
I am doubting how "in the medical field" you actually are. Janitor does not really count. Your question suggests a significant lack of awareness. Most in the field have a reasonable understanding of some of the basics.
...I love medicine but am looking for a not so stressful job...
Again, I think you love something you saw on TV but lack any real experience and exposure. That is OK. But, please be honest with yourself and others/us when asking a question/s. One that "love(s) medicine" would have more information then you apparently have. I knew high school kids that googled and obtained more then you apparently know.
... Law is pretty stressful. Is ortho or plastic's stressful?...
Medicine is stressful. People's lives are in your hands. By the time YOU get into college, it will take 4yrs college (minimum), 4yrs medical school, and some duration of residency (3yrs minimum). Each step of the way will be a competive application process. You are sleep deprived, family deprived, society deprived, financially deprived, and nutritionally inhibited.
...Is it harder to find jobs? Do you find that is it better in a hospital, solo or group setting? What about malpractice license? I heard that people are having a really hard time with the cost.
There is no guarantee what practice will look like or what payments/salaries will be or what malpractice costs will be (it is not a "license" it is cost of insurance... "in the medical field" would know this). Talk with your high school counselor. Ask around, someone can probably arrange for you to shadow. I believe volunteer/candy striper type programs still exist.

JAD
 
Can't really see the forest for the trees until you're an attending yourself. Might be too soon to make an experienced judgement call on that.

Just an opinion blackmon...I drew upon the experience of my immediate relatives, a PRS and GS, who aren't planning on sending their kids to medschool...don't get me wrong, I LOVE medicine and wouldn't give it up for the world. It's a dedicated and fulfilling profession which one must give to fully and sacrifice for 🙂
 
First, you need to decide on being a physician vs lawyer (if those are your career choices after you get into college and/or finish). It is almost impossible to decide what subspecialty you want before you have even decided on being a physician. You need to shadow some folks in different fields of medicine and get an idea. Avoid the high end, ritzy type physicians as well as may give you a false impression.
I am doubting how "in the medical field" you actually are. Janitor does not really count. Your question suggests a significant lack of awareness. Most in the field have a reasonable understanding of some of the basics.
Again, I think you love something you saw on TV but lack any real experience and exposure. That is OK. But, please be honest with yourself and others/us when asking a question/s. One that "love(s) medicine" would have more information then you apparently have. I knew high school kids that googled and obtained more then you apparently know.Medicine is stressful. People's lives are in your hands. By the time YOU get into college, it will take 4yrs college (minimum), 4yrs medical school, and some duration of residency (3yrs minimum). Each step of the way will be a competive application process. You are sleep deprived, family deprived, society deprived, financially deprived, and nutritionally inhibited. There is no guarantee what practice will look like or what payments/salaries will be or what malpractice costs will be (it is not a "license" it is cost of insurance... "in the medical field" would know this). Talk with your high school counselor. Ask around, someone can probably arrange for you to shadow. I believe volunteer/candy striper type programs still exist.

JAD

Rough but true 🙂
(Did I impress you with my multi-quoting above 😉)
 
P.S. So not to high-jack the thread, but how many of you physicians out there would send your kids to med-school to follow in your foot-steps? I don't know, I'm kinda undecided at this point...

Hard to say. I have friends who made it through the whole process with relative speed (some even quicker than the traditional route thanks to accelerated programs). I have friends who made it through with minimal loans (we should all be so lucky 😛). I have friends who met their significant other and started families because of medicine. I have friends who felt they've found their life's calling and were lucky enough to match into that field. Despite all the bitterness and unhappiness that's reported in medicine, I think there are more than a few doctors out there who are ecstatic about their career choice and would wholeheartedly push their children in that direction should they find similar fortune.
 
Hard to say. I have friends who made it through the whole process with relative speed (some even quicker than the traditional route thanks to accelerated programs). I have friends who made it through with minimal loans (we should all be so lucky 😛). I have friends who met their significant other and started families because of medicine. I have friends who felt they've found their life's calling and were lucky enough to match into that field. Despite all the bitterness and unhappiness that's reported in medicine, I think there are more than a few doctors out there who are ecstatic about their career choice and would wholeheartedly push their children in that direction should they find similar fortune.

I guess the key is finding the right job that suits one after the end of residency (when you're in the heck hole of med school and residency it's hard to realize there is life outside the bubble)... I read another post on this forum about an individual considering leaving medicine. One poster noted their Attdg job was the light at the end of their tunnel that they thought they'd never see...