JustInTime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
Hi all,
I applied late this year and will have my first interview at Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health in March. According to the feedbacks, the interview stresses a lot on current events and there will be an essay. Can anybody give me some tips on how to prepare for the interview? Any information regarding the interview will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance, folks.

JustInTime.

AZ2thDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
JustInTime said:
Hi all,
I applied late this year and will have my first interview at Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health in March. According to the feedbacks, the interview stresses a lot on current events and there will be an essay. Can anybody give me some tips on how to prepare for the interview? Any information regarding the interview will be greatly appreciated. Thanks much in advance, folks.

JustInTime.
My advice is this: Tell them all about how wonderful capitation/HMO dentistry is and how the majority of the rich mean greedy dentists of Arizona don't give a damn about the well-being of their fellow citizens. Let them know of your tremendous admiration of the NHS dental delivery system in the United Kingdom. Also let them know you'll do lots and lots of pro bono dentistry after graduation even to the detriment of being able to pay back your student and practice loan debt. Be sure you stress over and over that dentistry is "everyone's right" even if that means paying less than the cost of the overhead for the dentist who is asked to perform the service.

Also I suggest you ask the deans a few questions of themselves. Here are a few questions I suggest: When was the last time you actually put your hands in a patients mouth to do clinical dentistry? Have you ever made your living doing dentistry in a private practice setting? And why have you (this one is for Dillenberg) been such an enthusiastic supporter of dental managed care plans in the past? What role will shoddy HMO's/PPO's play in providing funding for ASDOH in the future?

I'd love to hear their responses! Obviously I'm quite cynical about ASDOH, but good luck to you anyway.

2pac

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2005
in Guru's House
Status
JustInTime said:
Hi all,

JustInTime.
Just read your curriculum carefully and read the SDN postings and be calm and be yourself.

You should be fine-

Good luck :thumbup:

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
JustInTime said:
Hi all,

JustInTime.
Congratulations!! I know how excited you must be!!

What I did to prepare is I watched the news (like CNN or MSNBC news, etc) every day for about 2 straight weeks prior to my interview. I already watch the news and stay current anyway, but I wanted to make sure I knew all that was happening and I tried to memorize some names that were newsworthy which was a bit of a challenge. Good luck!

kato999

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 2, 2004
Status
Dentist
AZ2thDOC said:
My advice is this: Tell them all about how wonderful capitation/HMO dentistry is and how the majority of the rich mean greedy dentists of Arizona don't give a damn about the well-being of their fellow citizens. Let them know of your tremendous admiration of the NHS dental delivery system in the United Kingdom. Also let them know you'll do lots and lots of pro bono dentistry after graduation even to the detriment of being able to pay back your student and practice loan debt. Be sure you stress over and over that dentistry is "everyone's right" even if that means paying less than the cost of the overhead for the dentist who is asked to perform the service.

Also I suggest you ask the deans a few questions of themselves. Here are a few questions I suggest: When was the last time you actually put your hands in a patients mouth to do clinical dentistry? Have you ever made your living doing dentistry in a private practice setting? And why have you (this one is for Dillenberg) been such an enthusiastic supporter of dental managed care plans in the past? What role will shoddy HMO's/PPO's play in providing funding for ASDOH in the future?

I'd love to hear their responses! Obviously I'm quite cynical about ASDOH, but good luck to you anyway.
:laugh:

if you go that route please let me know, i would love to sit in the interview.

OP
J

JustInTime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
May I ask if you got accepted? How did you prepare for the essay portion? Thanks again.

wimmcs said:
Congratulations!! I know how excited you must be!!

What I did to prepare is I watched the news (like CNN or MSNBC news, etc) every day for about 2 straight weeks prior to my interview. I already watch the news and stay current anyway, but I wanted to make sure I knew all that was happening and I tried to memorize some names that were newsworthy which was a bit of a challenge. Good luck!

eran76

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2004
Pittsburgh (but from Seattle)
Status
Dental Student
Essay Prep:

none specifically. But, if grammer and spelling are your weak areas then you should review the spelling of some words you like to use in essays.

Interview Prep:

The interview is a little on the intense side. By this I mean it is really focused on specific issues and questions. Stick to the questions and don't wander in your thoughts. If your "why I want to be a dentist" speech is longer than 2.5 minutes, rethink it and make it more concise (you'll feel like your being rushed, I did).

Current Events:

Read the NYTimes.com everyday for about a week and look at the reuters/AP news briefs at the side. Do you know your geography? you better :)

onetoothleft

SDN Angel
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2004
Manhattan, NYC
Status
Dental Student
Expect a random geography question . . . you can study, but that might be sort of hit and miss.

Although cynical, that other post has some valuable information in it about the type of dentist they are looking for. They were very impressed when I talked about volunteer stuff on my application, and they will ask you about socialized medicine, so develop a knowledge about that.

Be prepared for some thinking questions. They asked me who my hero was for instance. That threw me off guard and I made something up. I would go to monster.com and look up some interview questions there and practice with a friend--especially the harder, more probing ones.

Current events are key. Make sure you know facts and names as well.

There will be some sort of teamwork game and an essay. Mine was on ethics.

Relax and be yourself. oh, and enjoy the nice weather!!

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
AZ2thDOC said:
LOL. I'm wondering why a practicing dentist, who hasn't ever set foot on the Arizona campus, is so willingly providing specific interview information to an applicant?

AZ2thDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
LOL. I'm wondering why a practicing dentist, who hasn't ever set foot on the Arizona campus, is so willingly providing specific interview information to an applicant?

Good Grief!!! My intent was to be sarcastic! As a practicing dentist, I think it is important that my potential future collegues know exactly what ASDOH's agenda is about. Let the interviewees decide for themselves. Dr. Dilllenberg's past MANAGED CARE history and agenda ought to be known. If they believe it is good fit for them--by all means attend ASDOH!!!

In my community, their are several dentists who have had ongoing dialogue and "relationships" with Dr. Dillenberg dating back 20 years ago to his days with the Arizona Department of Health Oral Health. They are very cynical because in essence they tell me that they don't believe it is that easy for "a leopard to lose its spots".

If a student has no other alternative besides ASDOH, then I'd go there. But if there are other choices as to which dental school to attend, I believe it is OK to carefully consider where to spend $200,000 + of incurred student loan debt. Perhaps ASDOH would still be perceived to be the best choice.

I wish all ASDOH interviewees the best, but as with ANY dental school, go into the situation with both eyes open.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
AZ2thDOC,

Good post, with some excellent points. The one major fault of your original post is that administrators/Dr. Dillenberg aren't the ones teaching us. In fact, I'd bet that the Deans at most schools haven't done clinical dentistry in some time (although there probably are some that have). Our administrators don't teach us dentistry, our professors and instructors do. Those instructors are very well-respected clinicians here in the valley, and the professors likewise.

Your advice as to carefully decide where to apply $200,000 in loan debt is excellent advice for all dental applicants.

AZ2thDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
AZ2thDOC,

Good post, with some excellent points. The one major fault of your original post is that administrators/Dr. Dillenberg aren't the ones teaching us. In fact, I'd bet that the Deans at most schools haven't done clinical dentistry in some time (although there probably are some that have). Our administrators don't teach us dentistry, our professors and instructors do. Those instructors are very well-respected clinicians here in the valley, and the professors likewise.

Your advice as to carefully decide where to apply $200,000 in loan debt is excellent advice for all dental applicants.
Gavin:

Are you saying to me and potential students that ALL your instructors "walk on water"? I beg to differ. I know some of them and/or of their reputations.

I think it is cool that you get some people like Stan Malamed to come to your school to teach. Who wouldn't want have him as an instructor? And I am sure there many others as well.

On the other hand, I know of one ASDOH clinical instructor who a couple of years who stiffed his dental supply company to the tune of $10,000. Oh yeah, he also had a dental lab tech who had to take him to small claims court to pay his bill.

How do I know this? Because both the supply rep and dental tech told me personally. Perhaps he had signed up for too many of those wonderful "plans", as I do know he was a provider for several of them.

Just as you have cautioned me NOT to paint everything about ASDOH with a broad brush, I also hope you'll not do the same in your assessments.

Face the facts--your school has been BOTH HURT and HELPED in various ways by the "characters" who have set up and organized your school. If there were changes in ASDOH's administrators, I believe the Arizona dental community would in large part be much more willing to lend its support.

BOBLJ

10+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2004
Status
Getting back to the point of the post, I interviewed there in Nov. Great school but tough interview. I would recommend you to write out all the questions that you think they might ask you and also write out your response to the questions. Read the questions over and over again for practice. This will allow you to be comfortable when they ask you questions about yourself. Watch the news and have an idea for what has been going on in the past year or so. Read a book and do some practice writings. Last but not least, be yourself, as this is the whole point of an interview. Hope this helps, pm me if you have any other questions.

ArmedHamster

10+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
Status
AZ2thDOC said:
Gavin:

Are you saying to me and potential students that ALL your instructors "walk on water". I beg to differ. I know some of them and/or of their reputations.

I think it is cool that you get some people like Stan Malamed to come to your school to teach. Who wouldn't want have him as an instructor? And I am sure there many others as well.

On the other hand, I know of one ASDOH clinical instructor who a couple of years who stiffed his dental supply company to the tune of $10,000. Oh yeah, he also had a dental lab tech who had to take him to small claims court to pay his bill.

How do I know this? Because both the supply rep and dental tech told me personally. Perhaps he had signed up for too many of those wonderful "plans", as I do know he was a provider for several of them.

Just as you have cautioned me NOT to paint everything about ASDOH with a broad brush, I also hope you'll not do the same in your assessments.

Face the facts--your school has been BOTH HURT and HELPED in various ways by the "characters" who have set up and organized your school. If there were changes in ASDOH's administrators, I believe the Arizona dental community would in large part be much more willing to lend its support.
Why are you even posting on this forum, you are already a dentist. Isn't this the pre-dent forum?

Seems a lot like those twenty-five year old losers that show up to the high school prom, because their high school years were the best years of their lives and they are still trying to hang on to them.

OP
J

JustInTime

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
Thank you all for the advices. I am quite nervous right now considering a large numbers of candidates the school interviews and a small number of available seats it offers. This definitely will be a tough one but I believe it's a promising school so I will try my best. Thanks again, folks.

JustInTime.

wimmcs said:
In terms of the essay, make sure you answer what they are asking. It is key!

KellKell808

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2005
Colorado Springs- now
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi,
I realize your interveiw was some time ago, but I was just wondering how it went. I'm going for my interveiw at Arizona in October, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

KellKell808

JustInTime said:
Thank you all for the advices. I am quite nervous right now considering a large numbers of candidates the school interviews and a small number of available seats it offers. This definitely will be a tough one but I believe it's a promising school so I will try my best. Thanks again, folks.

JustInTime.

wimmcs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 16, 2003
Arizona
Visit site
Status
I want let those know who got interviews for ASDOH that that you must feel proud of yourself since they are cutting down on interivews from about 400 last year to approx. 250 this year. Congrats on being invited and good luck!

adamlc18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2004
Will 2nd year ever end?
Status
Dental Student
ArmedHamster said:
Why are you even posting on this forum, you are already a dentist. Isn't this the pre-dent forum?

Seems a lot like those twenty-five year old losers that show up to the high school prom, because their high school years were the best years of their lives and they are still trying to hang on to them.
I actually find his posts to be quite interesting. Being at a different school, it is interesting to hear about the politics that are happening at other dental schools in the nation.

Lostinbul

Pray'n for a letter!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2005
Status
wimmcs said:
I want let those know who got interviews for ASDOH that that you must feel proud of yourself since they are cutting down on interivews from about 400 last year to approx. 250 this year. Congrats on being invited and good luck!
Thank you for your kind words! And congrats to you for being accepted out of 400 last year!!

mccarth2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2004
Tampa, FL
Status
ArmedHamster said:

I wouldn't criticize too much. I appreciate the response from someone who is "in the field" & cares enough to post so that the advice is not one sided. That's the point of this forum: to get varying viewpoints and make decisions for yourself.

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on
10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
Omaha NE
Status
Dental Student
KellKell808 said:
Hi,
I realize your interveiw was some time ago, but I was just wondering how it went. I'm going for my interveiw at Arizona in October, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me.

KellKell808
Hey hey! I'm going in October as well! What day? I'm in the afternoon section of Oct. 10th. I just found out....oh about half hour ago so I am really excited. Lostinbul told me quite a bit about it and he was impressed.

I didn't know they were cutting interviews back so much. Good luck to you all!

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
adamlc18 said:
I actually find his posts to be quite interesting. Being at a different school, it is interesting to hear about the politics that are happening at other dental schools in the nation.
Except for the fact that he doesn't attend the school, and never has attended the school.

kew

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
TX
Status
Dentist
I just had my interview this week and I didn't have to do any essay. I was told that 441 people were interviewed last year and only 250 will be this year. In the interview itself there really isn't much opportunity to talk freely. Just some current events, two other questions and that was it. There is a substantial amount of time spent as a group though. Good luck.

MissingPolaris

Cemetoenamel Junction
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 17, 2005
Status
Pre-Dental
What type of group activities do they ask you to do? :) I can't imagine having a group interview. I won't be comfortable at all!

kew

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
TX
Status
Dentist
I don't think I can say much because if I do, it will probably be deleted cause AZ stuff is really hush hush on SDN, (at AZ's request). It's not a group interview. There's no panel in front of you or anything like that. You're in a group for some of the time to get info about the school and tour around but other times you'll do two different activities. One is a dexterity test and the other tests your interaction with others.

AZ2thDOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2004
Status
ItsGavinC said:
Except for the fact that he doesn't attend the school, and never has attended the school.

Gavin: It seems you're a sensitive sort of guy. However, I'd like to point out unless I'm mistaken, that you've never practiced dentistry where you've had to generate the funds to cover the cost of doing so, never purchased a practice and paid the mortgage, never made a payroll or paid payroll taxes, never dealt with shoddy insurance plans, unmotivated staff, or idiotic litigious patients.

How do you know I haven't been to ASDOH since some of my last posts?

Maybe you'll go on to become a fabulous dentist and I truly hope you do--but I don't believe Jack Dillenberg will have a lot to do with it if that becomes the case.

Call me an elitist if you desire, but I don't want any more "bottom-feeders" in my profession. We already have plenty of them here in Arizona!

I do have a sort of personal question for you--perhaps you can ask your illustrious "Dean" Dillenberg himself. Why -- after graduating from NYU dental school in 1971 did he not give a damn about his profession to make the effort to join the ADA and its local constitutent organizations? He became the dental director of the Arizona Dept of Oral Health in 1986 and also later became the director of the Arizona State Health Department, so he has had many, many years of experience here in Arizona.

My colleagues tell me that he did not join the ADA until AFTER he was chosen to head ASDOH in 2002. Furthermore, he did attend the AzDA Fall Conference two weeks ago in Prescott. Why was this the first such AzDA meeting of this type he has ever attended according to my collegues who've been around the past 19 years (1986 - 2005)??? Was he there to "set an example" for the other ASDOH students in attendance? Seems a bit hypocritical to me.

Is it any wonder that so many Arizona dentists despise "Dean" Jack Dillenberg and have ill feelings toward your school?! He has never supported quality dentistry or the profession! In fact, I'd say from what I know of him he has spent most of his career stabbing dentistry in the back. All it seems to be about is this -- dragging the dental profession down to its lowest common denominator in the name of universal care for all.

I truly don't believe that the Arizona dentists I know personally feel animosity towards individual ASDOH students, and despite what you may think of me, I personally don't have malice towards you and your fellow students.

I do think that many of you are quite naive about the realities of what it is like out here in the "real world" and that is why I give enough of damn about my profession to take the time to post. Bring on the criticism!!! And good luck to all who interview at ASDOH.

kew

10+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2004
TX
Status
Dentist
I just want to know why you care so much about shredding the dude. So he's a hypocrite. Welcome to the world of politics. Big Deal. If I concerned myself with all the stupid lives and actions of others, my life would probably end up being as bitter as yours. Thank you but I think I'll take the naive and ignorant route and concern myself with me, my family and my patients.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
AZ2thDOC said:
I do think that many of you are quite naive about the realities of what it is like out here in the "real world" and that is why I give enough of damn about my profession to take the time to post.
I'm not at all naive. Fairly unexperienced with what you mentioned? Of course! I don't have a degree yet! But naive is quite the stretch. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the views of my dean, or my instructors, aren't my views.

I'm an ADA student member (and an ASDA member, of course). I'm also an AzDA member, as well as an ADEA member. I attend everything I can get my hands on. I'll be at the ADA annual convention in Philly in a couple of weeks.

I don't think you're an elitist at all. Draw a line in the sand and I'll join you on your side. I despise the thought of universal healthcare. I don't doubt that you've visited the school before. Next time you do, swing by the clinic and find me. I'd love to meet you and you'd probably be shocked that you and I have more in common than you surmise we do.

cutema06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 1, 2005
Status
hey, the place for interviews is located in AZ, right?
According to their e-mail messages, they say to arrive promply in the lobby of the Mesa Campus of A.T. Still University, 5850 E. Still Circle, Mesa, AZ. However, the A.T. Still University of Health Sciences is locatd in MO (according to their catalog). My interview is set to be tomorrow and want to get confirmed as soon as possible! Thanks a bunch in advance.

kew said:
I just want to know why you care so much about shredding the dude. So he's a hypocrite. Welcome to the world of politics. Big Deal. If I concerned myself with all the stupid lives and actions of others, my life would probably end up being as bitter as yours. Thank you but I think I'll take the naive and ignorant route and concern myself with me, my family and my patients.

Dental08?09

Banne.d For T.rolling
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
Status
kew said:
I don't think I can say much because if I do, it will probably be deleted cause AZ stuff is really hush hush on SDN, (at AZ's request). It's not a group interview. There's no panel in front of you or anything like that. You're in a group for some of the time to get info about the school and tour around but other times you'll do two different activities. One is a dexterity test and the other tests your interaction with others.

If you post something I do no think it should be deleted because a school has requested it. Are SDN servers loacated in communist China or something?!?!?!?

I think thats crap and you should post what ever. Too bad the Mod is an AZ student (I have nothing againist that at all)

Beestieboy

Keep on keepin' on
10+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2005
Omaha NE
Status
Dental Student
Dr2BSoon said:
Do reapplicants have to reinterview?
I would plan on it, yes. Very seldom will someone take you without an interview. Especially if you are re-applying and there is a reason you didn't get in last time. They'll want to know how you've made yourself a better applicant and I would be glad to jump at that chance and show them the growth and preparation I had taken that extra year.