Arizona?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

waitingame

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I was just wonder about the school and I am deciding if I should add it my list of schools.
The 07 stats were Arizona AA-18.4 PA18.2 GPA overall-3.42 science-3.36
and 75% from out of state but only 54 spots. According to http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502025 and http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=502682
These were lower then most schools so I was just wondering if this was normal that their acceptance scores are lower than other schools? Also when looking on predents.com I noticed that a number of the people that were rejected had much higher gpas and dat scores. So whats the deal? Also if anyone that goes to the school or that interviewed could comment it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

i think they tend to look for other things than just dat scores and gpas. I applied to them thinking it would be easier to get into because the stats are so much lower than a lot of other schools. I was quickly rejected though. They get a ton of applicants, like 40 or 50 per seat, so its going to be a hard school to get into. I think they look for people wanting to serve in rural areas but someone that knows more about asdoh will have better input about that.

anyone else have info on Zona, I plan on submitting soon Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
It's pretty much a crap shoot to get in there. I interviewed twice and was rejected twice. My stats are pretty good... I got into 6 schools this cycle. If you don't mind the rool of the dice go ahead and apply. it is pretty non-traditional compared to other dental schools though.

If I were to do the application over again I wouldn't have applied to ASDOH... just my $.02

Be big into public health. They force feed you a certificate in PH. Know how it'll affect your practice in dentistry.

Have lots of community service. Be able to brag about how you wish to do "lifelong service." Have a reason for doing lifelong service (excluding wanting to get into school). If you have a period of time in your life when you weren't in school and didn't do service, to them that's an indication you won't do lifetime service. Don't bother applying.

They make you do this hand-eye coordination test where you put pins into pegholes. They want to see how many you can put into place in a given time. Then you put rings and nuts on those pins.

They also make you do a group discussion to see how well you work together in groups. Whether they want discussion leader's unclear. A group of 5 discussion leaders would turn into a pride fight.

ASDOH was a waste of application effort, and I wouldn't ever apply again. Won't be doing residency there. They interview truckloads of people and the chance of gettin in post-interview is worse than the chances of getting interviews at many schools. I lost serious cash on that school. They seem to also prefer 70th percentile students over 100th.

I've interviewed at ASDOH 2X.....I actually live down the street from there. Its a good school, state-of-the-art clinic. The dean is hilarious too. They're just really particular about who they want. They want good grades but they also look for more community service oriented individuals.