arkansas? info please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anatomyaddict

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys...any info on this program? can't find anything online

Members don't see this ad.

all I know is that they do some weird staggered start where one first year begins every 3 months or something like that. Quite odd but seems to work for them somehow. Would be interested to hear some input on this type of program and how many places do this.

all I know is that they do some weird staggered start where one first year begins every 3 months or something like that. Quite odd but seems to work for them somehow. Would be interested to hear some input on this type of program and how many places do this.

I heard about the staggered start at arkansas as well...it sounded like an attractive option (breathing room built in) but its not appealing enough to account for bad training- which I can't figure out if arkansas has or not

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently finished this program so hopefully I can shed a little light on it.

First, the staggered start is gone. It ended 2 years ago so for those interviewing this year you will never know it existed. To those that care, CPMC in San Fran is the only other place that does this. It has its positives but mostly negatives in my opinion. Anyway it is gone.

Surgical numbers - probably on avg 140-150 cataracts, strab ~40, plastics was okay but they recently added someone young and new so I bet it is going to be a lot better, glaucoma - plenty of lasers, ~6-10 tube\trabs, cornea (recent change in staff, ??how will change numbers), did 5 DSAEK, 2 PKs. No LASIK. Too many retina lasers and injections to count. At the university we have our own 2 OR's with the potential to use up to 4. The VA runs 2 rooms almost everyday as well.

Call - q6 first two years, then back up q3. Just like anywhere, can be very busy during the summer. I finished with 15 globes. We also did all the canalicular lacs on call, so I got pretty good at these.

Didactics - excellent, every MWF at 730, lectures on BCSC. Every month is new book. Overwhelming at first but makes you learn it. Grand rounds every week at 5pm which sucks though. Also our program director is second to know, he really cares about the residents.

Clinic - great pathology, I have seen everything. We have a resident clinic that is staffed always, we rotate in a few private clinics, and we have a huge VA. Our VA sees the most eye patients of any VA in its region. As a senior there, I would see about 30-40 patients a day usually. The VA has recently had changes in the overall surgical chief and the eye chief, so don't know what that'll mean.

Busy - depends on the rotation, some (VA) super busy, there till 7 at night, others not so much. Many days I was gone at 430.

Staff - everything is covered, some more than others, example as far as I know, 3 peds, 2 plastics, 1 retina, 1 cornea, 2 neuro, 2 glaucoma.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
I can say that the surgical numbers above have increase significantly since 2011.