Arkansas to Cut Contract Seats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arkansasvet

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all,

I am one of 12 Arkansas students receiving a contract seat to Oklahoma State, Mizzou, or LSU. We were all offered these seats in early March. Early last week, our individual universities contacted all of us to let us know that the state of Arkansas would be cutting us down to 5 seats total as a state. LSU in particular will lose 7 of its 9 seats This amounts to a difference of 25,800 per year in tuition. These notifications were made after the April 15th deadline to accept schools. I, like many of us, had several other acceptances to universities like auburn, MSST, or Kansas St, all of which would of been significantly cheaper out of state than LSU, but now we are all stuck. The Arkansas state legislature will meet July 1st to decide whether or not to appropriate money from other areas to fund our contract seats or not. Below is a link to a petition to the state legislature to support us. Please take a moment of your time to sign it and help us keep our contract seats. Thanks

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/arkansas-honor-your-commitme?source=c.em.mt&r_by=412565
 
Arkansas Vet:

This is terrible. Although I'm not an Arkansas state resident (I am a resident of UT), I did sign your petition. What unfortunate timing for students who were accepted to veterinary school via contract agreements this year. The Arkansas state legislature should certainly honor its contractual agreements made to students for this fiscal year. Prospective students made their decisions as to which institutions to attend partially based upon the tuition they would be paying. I'm very sorry to hear about this. You have my support.
 
That is really quite unfortunate. I know exactly how you feel, I am currently in the same position with one of the 5 Connecticut contract seats with ISU :-(. I did sign your petition and it looks like you are almost at your goal! I really hope it works out and they are able to reverse the decision. It really is quite unfair especially since you had some other cheaper options :-(. Good Luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is horrible!! I signed, and hope that they approve the funding. Wow, just horrible.
 
That's horrible! The same almost happened to the contract seats for my state this year as well. We found out about it in December, but it wasn't resolved until last month. We were able to save them this year (with a slight increase in tuition), but the future of our contract program is up in the air. I hope your state is able to pull funds from other places to fund your contract spots!
 
OTOH, not all schools have finalized their classes. It's an extraordinary situation - you could contact the schools you declined and ask if they would consider putting you in the waitlist. I mean, all they could say is no.

What a ****ty thing to do to your students, Arkansas!
 
This also comes after Mississippi State pushed to get contract seats for Arkansas students last year, only to have the state not fund them.

I am an Arkansas resident, but not accepted under a contract seat. I know that the people who did receive them worked their asses off and deserve them.