Armed Forced to Finance AUA Tuition?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Steph1NeeNee

Pre- Trauma Surgeon!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As with the majority of AUA's accepted students, I too do not qualify for the ONE loan that they offer. My grandfather told me to look into committing to the Armed Forces (mainly the Air Force) to fund my medical school education. I have looked into it, and I know that the Army pays 100% tuition and fees and allows $1920/month of a spending allowance. The catch..you have to commit a year of servie to them for each year they've paid for. I'm sure the other branches are similar. Does anyone know if there have been US students who have financed AUA this way? Does anyone know if AUA counts as an American medical school, since "American" is part of the name? I'm waiting to hear back from my local branch representatives and I've emailed the financial aid office about this and other questions. However, they responded to all my other questions besides this one.
Thanks!
 
Not a US med school, b/c it is not LCME accredited which means the school must be physically present in the US or Canada. It's not even one of the better Carib med schools, unless you meant AUC.
Went to med school with several guys who were able to fund their schooling via the armed forces..
You should look at the US schools first and really research the Caribbean. Having gone to a Carib med school, I highly reccomend that you not go to the Carib. Check out the thread called SGU residencies, where there is a lot of discussion about the changing face of health care policy and the possibility that there may not be room for IMG's in the US residency match system, much like that of Canada where there is only several hundred seats. Increased no of US med seats means that you should be able to get in there.
Lastly, I believe serving in the army is a plus for the med school application, so do more research, read more on this forum and make the best decision for you/your career/your patient...
 
Yup, AUA is in Antigua, not America.

When you start residency, you can join the military and pay back your loans that way. I dont remember the details of the contract.