Armour Thyroid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sushirolls

Topped with salmon, avocado and tobiko
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding this has never been a preferred medication with the advent of synthroid. If people have allergies or intolerance to synthyroid they get prescribed armour thyroid. Have things changed? I recently had a patient see an ARNP who switched them off Levo for Armour because 'it was more natural.'

I did a quick review on UpToDate and didn't glean anything to support such a switch.

Did I miss a publication out there or is this really what I suspect - a WTF?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's my understanding this has never been a preferred medication with the advent of synthroid. If people have allergies or intolerance to synthyroid they get prescribed armour thyroid. Have things changed? I recently had a patient see an ARNP who switched them off Levo for Armour because 'it was more natural.'

I did a quick review on UpToDate and didn't glean anything to support such a switch.

Did I miss a publication out there or is this really what I suspect - a WTF?
Do not get me started on armour thyroid...I do not prescribe it and I do not take patients on referral for armour thyroid...if they need some T3, then we can give cytomel.

And of course they feel “good” on armour thyroid...the off balance ratio of t4:T3 makes them have low to suppressed TSH which is near impossible to normalize

And SURE!! desiccated pig thyroid is everso natural! For a pig...

No one has an allergy to Levothyroxine ...it usually the binders or the dye in the pill...tirosint usually works with those pts.pts with absorption issues generally benefit from tirosint as well.

That mid level is stupid...does she prescribe St. John’s wort instead of ssri s too?

Just say NO to armour or NP thyroid!!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not get me started on armour thyroid...I do not prescribe it and I do not take patients on referral for armour thyroid...if they need some T3, then we can give cytomel.

And of course they feel “good” on armour thyroid...the off balance ratio of t4:T3 makes them have low to suppressed TSH which is near impossible to normalize

And SURE!! desiccated pig thyroid is everso natural! For a pig...

No one has an allergy to Levothyroxine ...it usually the binders or the dye in the pill...tirosint usually works with those pts.pts with absorption issues generally benefit from tirosint as well.

That mid level is stupid...does she prescribe St. John’s wort instead of ssri s too?

Just say NO to armour or NP thyroid!!

Are there big problems with using bio identical thyroid hormones? Get them compounded?

armour thyroid is a good screening tool for a crazy person. batting 1000 on this thus far

Reactions: 2 users
Fellow Endocrinologist said Armor Thyroid is a joke and people shouldn't use it.

Synthroid is more "all-natural" because your body actually converts the T4 to T3 as you need it throughout the day.

Armor Thyroid is not regulated like that and the dosing isn't always the best. She said naturopaths (and I guess now NPs) use this often just with the guise of it being more "all natural" as a selling point when in reality it could be dangerous because your body doesn't regulate it as well because there is no defined ratio of T4/T3 in the Armor Thyroid and every container will be different.

also, big chance the patient isn't even really hypothyroid, and if they are, they should be getting a work up as to why, not just given "all natural remedies that won't hurt you like the big bad pharma will!"

armour thyroid is a good screening tool for a crazy person. batting 1000 on this thus far

This is the correct answer here. If they are allergic to Synthroid, then they get Tirosint. I refuse to prescribe dessicated pig thyroid.