Army HPSP and Residency Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dntpanic

Ninja Turtle
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently a medical student who is debating about whether to sign up for the Army HPSP program. In particular, I am trying to decide whether the HPSP is for me or if I should just continue in the civilian field and apply to the FAP later. Both myself and my family value service to our country, but I am concerned about the quality of my training and some other things.

1) Does everyone have to do the Army FYGME (PGY-1) training program? If I stayed in the civilian field, I would be able to match directly into a pathology program straight from medical school. Would joining the Army essentially add 1 year onto my post-graduate education prior to my four-year residency?

2) Are the military residencies and training comparable to civilian residencies and training? In pathology, I'd be matching to SAUSHEC, MAMC, or NCC. I am concerned about not just the number of specimens (pathology talk, no I didn't mean patients) I'd see, but also the diversity of specimens. I am also a little concerned about the amount of red tape I'd encounter as well as the condition of equipment in the lab.

3) Where could I be stationed after training? I know this is a really broad question, but I have no idea how many Army installations (aside from the three mentioned before) would have a path lab on hand or where they would be located. I am prepared to be deployed (although I wouldn't know why) if I needed to be.

Thank you for any insight. Even if it is not directly related to pathology. Oh, and please refrain from talking about money. I've done all the calculations and I know what I'd stand to gain and lose on that front. It's a question of getting the training to be the best doctor I could be that is the main issue here.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't think of any Army pathologists that post here regularly offhand, but I'm hoping you get the feedback you're looking for.

I never looked into path seriously, but a colleague who did said he was a little dismayed by the decrease in what the AFIP is now compared to its position as one of the leaders in years past.