Army HPSP- new questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Guelker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You're HPSP information has been invaluable so far. I've been in the application process for the Army HPSP since late last year and results are finalizing soon...it looks good, but not getting my hopes up yet. I do however want to clarify my final stance on things with myself (both present and future). I'm a 3rd year clinical psych PhD student. I'm definately looking forward to the opportunity to work with soldiers and their families and not overly concerned with the possibility of deployment and relocation. HPSP seems a good fit for the opportunity to work with this unique population as well as the financial benefit now, the leg-up on the internship process, and the guarantee of employment after school.

What I haven't gotten enough information about yet is the future career potential in the Army. In the back of my head, I'm a lifer, but I guess I don't really have all the information at this point. Do most people go the full 20 years for the retirement purposes? Is the burnout rate pretty high? How does financial compensation over the years compare to civilian work? What about retirement packages compared to civilian work?

Also, not getting my hopes up yet, but any books, reading materials, or suggestions for someone with no Army experience that's looking to be an Officer?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You're HPSP information has been invaluable so far. I've been in the application process for the Army HPSP since late last year and results are finalizing soon...it looks good, but not getting my hopes up yet. I do however want to clarify my final stance on things with myself (both present and future). I'm a 3rd year clinical psych PhD student. I'm definately looking forward to the opportunity to work with soldiers and their families and not overly concerned with the possibility of deployment and relocation. HPSP seems a good fit for the opportunity to work with this unique population as well as the financial benefit now, the leg-up on the internship process, and the guarantee of employment after school.

What I haven't gotten enough information about yet is the future career potential in the Army. In the back of my head, I'm a lifer, but I guess I don't really have all the information at this point. Do most people go the full 20 years for the retirement purposes? Is the burnout rate pretty high? How does financial compensation over the years compare to civilian work? What about retirement packages compared to civilian work?

Also, not getting my hopes up yet, but any books, reading materials, or suggestions for someone with no Army experience that's looking to be an Officer?

Thanks!

You have to go 20 years to get a retirement. Whether you do hinges on a number of variables. Men are more likely to continue to retirement than women. I suspect family pressures have something to do with this but don't have empirical evidence to support my belief.

Burnout, I think that it's lower for the most part because you can get a new job every few years, but this transitory nature of the military is its own challenge and while not burnout can lead to frustration.

Compensation is EXCELLENT compared to the averages, as is the retirement package. You would be hard pressed to find anything nearly as good in the civilian sector.

The median salary in 90210 (Beverly Hills, CA) is 93k per year. (Salary.com) When you consider your first 5 years will be your lowest earning years, the military compares VERY well.

That's pretty good, but a typical O-3 in the military is not making much less and has nearly 30k of their salary tax free (in the same locality.) You get 30 days of paid vacation plus all federal holidays. You get 50% of your base salary as retirement pay after 20 years.... for the rest of your life plus medical insurance for life.

Can you make more as a civilian... yes, you can. On average though, you can do well in the military.

Mark

Thanks Mark...seems like you're the guy to know here.

I think I'd fair well avoiding burnout...I like variety, my wife's brother in law is an officer so we understand the transitory nature of a military life, and what's 20 years really? What variance is there in the jobs that psychologists take in the military? I've talked to a couple people who are doing it but wanted more variety of answers if possible.

So retirement is 50% of last base salary...any variability in that based on extra years or anything? Was doing some reading online and just got confused by the different plans.

Also, any guides or books for a potential officer to get the ropes prior to OBLC?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Mark...seems like you're the guy to know here.

So retirement is 50% of last base salary...any variability in that based on extra years or anything? Was doing some reading online and just got confused by the different plans.

Also, any guides or books for a potential officer to get the ropes prior to OBLC?

Some of what you do as a military psychologist is dependent on your interests and expertise. You have opportunities to set your sails in particular directions. I want to be more operationally oriented, so I attend events that cater to that career path. This sets you up for selection when these more operationally oriented slots are available. Not 100% control, but biasing the system in favor of the assignments I want.

Yes, there is a lot of variability, 2.5% per year past 20. So if you go 30 years, then you get 75% of your base, if you go 40, you get 100% of your base pay for the retirement rank you achieve. It is adjusted each year for cost of living. It does not make sense to cash in at 15 years and take the $30k, you lose out on too much money based on the average case. Typically most people who hit 20 years will at a minimum hit 0-4, average is an O-5, and beyond 20 O-5 or O-6 is typical.

OBLC is straight forward, just get in shape prior and everything else is a matter of listening and paying attention to detail.

Mark

I'm continuing to get good information about my potential acceptance into the Army HPSP for this coming August (been accepted, waiver has been approved, just waiting on confirmation on my background check), so, though not counting any unhatched chickens, I'm doing some planning for next year...

I'll be a fourth year and applying to internship in Dec. My understanding is that HPSP is essentially a pre-screening for APPIC internship at one of the 5 Army sites and that you're all but guaranteed a spot unless you actively screw up along the way. With this in mind I was looking at clinical face hour requirements for the 5 sites and there appears to be some variance in the requirements as well as the reported hours of those who have been previously accepted. The short question to this long set-up is if pre-screened, how much does what I do from here out matter? Should I try to get an externship/assistantship this summer that will get me more good hours or focus more on dissertation work? Should I continue to submit posters and research for conferences or again focus on completion of dissertation?

Obviously in a perfect world I would be focusing on hours to improve my therapy skills, contributing to the research community, and completing my dissertation all at the same time (while solving world hunger and ending all the crazy earthquakes). I'm interested in furthering myself professionally, but looking to see what kind of immediate moves are most important in the short-term.

Side question...I think I read that someone in my situation would do OBLC the August prior to going on internship...any option to do this earlier if my program allows? Such as the previous year or is it offered at other times?

Thanks again and I hope to be as much help to someone else on here someday as you all have been for me!

Markp:

Sorry, think this was discussed before, but did you say the Navy does, or does not offer a HPSP for psych grad students?

Last edited:
I'm continuing to get good information about my potential acceptance into the Army HPSP for this coming August (been accepted, waiver has been approved, just waiting on confirmation on my background check), so, though not counting any unhatched chickens, I'm doing some planning for next year...

I'll be a fourth year and applying to internship in Dec. My understanding is that HPSP is essentially a pre-screening for APPIC internship at one of the 5 Army sites and that you're all but guaranteed a spot unless you actively screw up along the way. With this in mind I was looking at clinical face hour requirements for the 5 sites and there appears to be some variance in the requirements as well as the reported hours of those who have been previously accepted. The short question to this long set-up is if pre-screened, how much does what I do from here out matter? Should I try to get an externship/assistantship this summer that will get me more good hours or focus more on dissertation work? Should I continue to submit posters and research for conferences or again focus on completion of dissertation?

Obviously in a perfect world I would be focusing on hours to improve my therapy skills, contributing to the research community, and completing my dissertation all at the same time (while solving world hunger and ending all the crazy earthquakes). I'm interested in furthering myself professionally, but looking to see what kind of immediate moves are most important in the short-term.

Side question...I think I read that someone in my situation would do OBLC the August prior to going on internship...any option to do this earlier if my program allows? Such as the previous year or is it offered at other times?

Thanks again and I hope to be as much help to someone else on here someday as you all have been for me!

Guelker, you took a page from my mind. My question is somewhat similar. I'm an AF HPSP recipient, last week I was commissioned (a neat, but quick experience), and today I signed and sent in my Service Agreement to the recruiter. Apparently recruiting now hands off my file to the AF Institute of Technology, which handles scheduling COT, disbursing funds, etc. My question is in regard to CPIP. It appears that if HPSP applicants match with the CPIP program, they don't participate in the national APPIC match. When does application/selection process for CPIP begin. Will it happen in advance of the APPIC process or concurrently? It would be lovely to be able to avoid the national match process if at all possible.

BTW, congrats, Guelker.

Markp:

Sorry, think this was discussed before, but did you say the Navy does, or does not offer a HPSP for psych grad students?

This is supposed to be the first year it is available.

Mark

Guelker, you took a page from my mind. My question is somewhat similar. I'm an AF HPSP recipient, last week I was commissioned (a neat, but quick experience), and today I signed and sent in my Service Agreement to the recruiter. Apparently recruiting now hands off my file to the AF Institute of Technology, which handles scheduling COT, disbursing funds, etc. My question is in regard to CPIP. It appears that if HPSP applicants match with the CPIP program, they don't participate in the national APPIC match. When does application/selection process for CPIP begin. Will it happen in advance of the APPIC process or concurrently? It would be lovely to be able to avoid the national match process if at all possible.

BTW, congrats, Guelker.

Unfortunately, these are questions I don't have the answer to, they are service specific.

Mark

After months of discussion with my wife, I am committed to armed forces services (and internship) and LOVE, LOVE the navy and their particular focus on leadership. Recommend I call my local navy recruiter to inquire about HPSP?

After months of discussion with my wife, I am committed to armed forces services (and internship) and LOVE, LOVE the navy and their particular focus on leadership. Recommend I call my local navy recruiter to inquire about HPSP?

Find out who your local Navy MEDICAL services recruiter is when you call in, that will be the person whom you wish to talk to. If for any reason you have difficulty finding someone to help you, PM me and I will put you in touch with some people who can get you the right help.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll be a fourth year and applying to internship in Dec. My understanding is that HPSP is essentially a pre-screening for APPIC internship at one of the 5 Army sites and that you're all but guaranteed a spot unless you actively screw up along the way. With this in mind I was looking at clinical face hour requirements for the 5 sites and there appears to be some variance in the requirements as well as the reported hours of those who have been previously accepted. The short question to this long set-up is if pre-screened, how much does what I do from here out matter? Should I try to get an externship/assistantship this summer that will get me more good hours or focus more on dissertation work?

It matters, so keep pushing forward. Especially if you want your choice of duty location. You are not guaranteed a slot, so don't take it for granted. Even the USUHS students who are in the same boat have to work pretty diligently to get the slot they want.

Should I continue to submit posters and research for conferences or again focus on completion of dissertation?

Posters and research, in my mind, would be less important than completion of your dissertation, my energy would be focused on having sufficient hours (and quality) of experience and having my dissertation completed.

If you have to pull back, do so on the research and keep focused on the hours and dissertation.

I know Navy sends their people either before internship or the year before that. Army is a whole different ball game. If you want to go early, I would ask, worst that can happen is they say no.

Mark

Find out who your local Navy MEDICAL services recruiter is when you call in, that will be the person whom you wish to talk to.

This is critical. Make sure that you talk to a medical recruiter, not a standard recruiter. I am assuming you are looking to go into the medical services and these recruiters will know what you need to fill out. You definitely do not want to sign up for the alternative.

Members don't see this ad :)
MarkP,
I've been mulling over what you stated earlier in this thread about no guarantee for an internship spot..can you elaborate on that a bit (no guarantee of first choice or anything at all? etc).

I was to understand that HPSP was essentially a prescreening for internship placement. That's by no means the only reason I'm doing it, but my wife and I were hoping to do some family planning based on a military internship instead of civilian and it concerns me to know this may not be reliable? I'm hopeful that my experience (and my future experience over the next year or so) makes me very competitive, but was wondering what additional two cents you may have.

Thanks again!

MarkP,
I've been mulling over what you stated earlier in this thread about no guarantee for an internship spot..can you elaborate on that a bit (no guarantee of first choice or anything at all? etc).

I was to understand that HPSP was essentially a prescreening for internship placement. That's by no means the only reason I'm doing it, but my wife and I were hoping to do some family planning based on a military internship instead of civilian and it concerns me to know this may not be reliable? I'm hopeful that my experience (and my future experience over the next year or so) makes me very competitive, but was wondering what additional two cents you may have.

Thanks again!

Let's put it this way, you are NOT guaranteed an Army internship because that would be against APPIC rules. On the other hand, I am unaware of ANY HPSP recipient who has not had a military internship.

Mark

This is supposed to be the first year it is available.

So far, this is the only response to my inquiry about Navy HPSP for Psych.

This comes from January's The Navy Psychologist Newsletter:

We now have four avenues by which to gain entry to the Navy psychology community: the USUHS Ph.D. program, the internships, post-doctoral fellowships, and licensed direct accession. Discussions are underway with OOMSC and BUPERS aimed at re-instituting the Health Professions Scholarship Program for psychology. It is too early to say with certainty if and when the scholarships will become available but the idea has been received favorably.

I haven't had any "yes" answers when I've talked to the folks at Bethesda yet.

So far, this is the only response to my inquiry about Navy HPSP for Psych.

This comes from January's The Navy Psychologist Newsletter:

I haven't had any "yes" answers when I've talked to the folks at Bethesda yet.

Well I guess you have better intel than I do. I would contact CDR Ralph, as I would expect him to have the latest intel on that... I would also expect Dr. Getka and Dr. Podd to have first hand knowledge as well... I'm just a little fish in the big pond.

Mark

I'm just a little fish in the big pond.

Then I am a guppie!

I spoke with CDR Ralph yesterday who confirmed that they have in fact opened it up for Navy Psych this year. Must be in your second year to apply.

I was wondering how long the application process for HPSP is? I noticed that one person mentioned they have been working on it for a year. If I am going to do this I would like to have it start as soon as possible. Any chance in getting a possible timeline of events?

I was wondering how long the application process for HPSP is? I noticed that one person mentioned they have been working on it for a year. If I am going to do this I would like to have it start as soon as possible. Any chance in getting a possible timeline of events?

It all depends but it is not a quick process.

Mark

This is critical. Make sure that you talk to a medical recruiter, not a standard recruiter. I am assuming you are looking to go into the medical services and these recruiters will know what you need to fill out. You definitely do not want to sign up for the alternative.

This seems easier said than done. I have been into the recruiter's office and left my information for the medical recruiter to call me back and have not heard anything, but I did just call back and they said they will get me his number if I call back later today.

Thirdx...
I'm finally coming to the end of my HPSP application process for the Army so I think I can provide some info, but I'm open to corrections.

I started looking into it last fall, decided to go for it in Sept or Oct, but hit some delays in the process through difficulty contacting my recruiter and keeping the ball rolling. Putting the materials together was not that bad...lots of forms with basic application information, spicing up the CV, writing a personal statement, and securing 3-5 rec letters...pretty basic as compared to applying to grad school. Additionally, you need to qualify for miltary service through a MEPS visit and then resolve any possible waiver issues from there. You need a few things approved (prior conditions and med records, etc.) prior to going to MEPS which takes about a week. All in all, I'd say be completing your app materials in Oct or Nov and try to get approved for a MEPS visit in later Nov...in case anything hairy comes up that'll give a month to resolve any issues with waivers and still make the end of Dec deadline. With that said, waivers are available for missed timelines, but you're only compromising your own chances that way.

From there, the board meets in Jan and you should have an answer (yes, no, or waiting list) by end of Jan/early Feb. However, this year there were some delays on that as well. Some of them based in waivers that I was waiting on, some based on background investigation bottlenecks. I was just informed of my finalized acceptance last week.

Take home message...know your deadlines, shoot in front of them to avoid any unexpected issues, and stay in contact with your recruiter (they're your lifeline to the process and should be functioning in your best interests). Be flexible and prepared to not hear anything on a day when you expect to and get a random call on an unexpected day. Regardless of delays, as long as you commission sometime in Spring, it shouldn't effect when you get paid. You'll get 1 or 2 years of pay not starting until Aug. not matter what (I think).

Thirdx...
Take home message...know your deadlines, shoot in front of them to avoid any unexpected issues, and stay in contact with your recruiter (they're your lifeline to the process and should be functioning in your best interests). Be flexible and prepared to not hear anything on a day when you expect to and get a random call on an unexpected day. Regardless of delays, as long as you commission sometime in Spring, it shouldn't effect when you get paid. You'll get 1 or 2 years of pay not starting until Aug. not matter what (I think).

Thanks, I was finally able to get a hold of a medical recruiter today and he is sending some information and then I am going to call after that. I guess I was hoping that it was only going to be a couple of months with the process, but it sounds like there is no hope for it this year. That being said, do they only do the tuition waiver for the time that you get accepted (i'm assuming so). I guess I just didn't want to get the 20k and up debt from the one year at this school, but looks like that is going to happen.

Thanks, I was finally able to get a hold of a medical recruiter today and he is sending some information and then I am going to call after that. I guess I was hoping that it was only going to be a couple of months with the process, but it sounds like there is no hope for it this year. That being said, do they only do the tuition waiver for the time that you get accepted (i'm assuming so). I guess I just didn't want to get the 20k and up debt from the one year at this school, but looks like that is going to happen.

Remember that you'll be eligible for IBR for your student loans, and if you stay in for 10 years with the income adjusted payments (which are based only on the salary portion of your pay and not your allowances) you'll have any remaining monies owed forgiven.

Mark

So the military works like the underserved populations and rural areas? I guess I was unaware of this. Side note: I was on another thread that was talking about medical people and the weight requirement. When do you have to meet this weight when you are doing HPSP? Also how pushy do you think I should be with the recruiter. So far all of the recruiters I have talked to have been very laid back about getting me information and I don't want to come off as rude, but it would be beneficial to get the info from them and start the application process as soon as possible (i'd rather have the paperwork and stuff done before I start school so that I don't have to worry about that on top of my 1st year coursework).

So the military works like the underserved populations and rural areas? I guess I was unaware of this. Side note: I was on another thread that was talking about medical people and the weight requirement. When do you have to meet this weight when you are doing HPSP? Also how pushy do you think I should be with the recruiter. So far all of the recruiters I have talked to have been very laid back about getting me information and I don't want to come off as rude, but it would be beneficial to get the info from them and start the application process as soon as possible (i'd rather have the paperwork and stuff done before I start school so that I don't have to worry about that on top of my 1st year coursework).

Yes, the military qualifies for IBR and 120 payments = loan forgiveness while on active duty.

This is the recruiters JOB, not something they are doing as a hobby, if they are not acting professionally, find their boss... and say something. That will usually resolve the problem. Otherwise you might say something to the specialty leader. The recruiters are the ambassadors of the military and are expected to be 100% professional and helpful. If they aren't, someone should know about it... just remember, keep any complaints factual.

I would expect any recruiter to return calls promptly (they are often busy so prompt may mean after some delay) and provide paperwork by the dates they promise. Sometimes there are reasons for delays, but they should be keeping you informed.

You usually have to meet the weight standard when you process through MEPS and before you ship out to boot camp, then every 6 months during your career.

Mark

Thanks Markp. I actually had the medical recruiter call me back today and apologize for the conversation we had yesterday, so that made me feel better. He also emailed me a lot of good info. One brochure said that the scholarship was normally for two to three years including internship year, so why would they be talking to me now if I'm just about to start my graduate career?

I would hazard a guess that the recruiter may be on the more laid back side because the next board date for the next round of HPSP applications is 9 months away. My experience has been that the squeeky wheel gets the grease...if you are staying on top of them they'll be on top of you; if you're deadline is close or your at risk of missing out on something then you get the attention; otherwise (I think) they're dealing with a lot of others simultaneously...not a great situation, but reality.

Also re: the 2-3 year...my understanding is that they expect people to apply for their third and fourth year funded only and stumble along on their own before that (gives time to get some experience under your belt and make you look more desirable). However, my experience has told me that the recruiters don't necessarily know much about how the psych end of the world works (that's why people like Mark, etc. are so darn helpful *fluff*). Medical recruiters are used to processing applications for nurses, doctors, and dentists so if they haven't really looked into it yet, they probably don't realize that it's early for you as a psych to apply.

I would hazard a guess that the recruiter may be on the more laid back side because the next board date for the next round of HPSP applications is 9 months away. My experience has been that the squeeky wheel gets the grease...if you are staying on top of them they'll be on top of you; if you're deadline is close or your at risk of missing out on something then you get the attention; otherwise (I think) they're dealing with a lot of others simultaneously...not a great situation, but reality.

Also re: the 2-3 year...my understanding is that they expect people to apply for their third and fourth year funded only and stumble along on their own before that (gives time to get some experience under your belt and make you look more desirable). However, my experience has told me that the recruiters don't necessarily know much about how the psych end of the world works (that's why people like Mark, etc. are so darn helpful *fluff*). Medical recruiters are used to processing applications for nurses, doctors, and dentists so if they haven't really looked into it yet, they probably don't realize that it's early for you as a psych to apply.

So are you saying that I should just chill for now on the application process for this and wait until my second year to start looking at it again? That seems very frustrating and it also makes the brochures misleading. It states that 4 years of medical school cost more than 250k so that is why the HPSP is so appealing, but if it is only two or three years you are looking at 70 to 125k of debt (grant it I am not going into medical so realistically I'm thinking probably 40 to 50k of debt). As Markp stated you are still able to do the IBR for loans, but another area that made it look good was the stipend that was available so that will be absent for the first two years as well. I know this post sounds negative and I still think that this might be the best option for me, I think I just had naive expectations for it. oh well.

It's even more strange trying to navigate the USUHS Clinical Psych Program, because the recruiters know very little about a program that has 2 slots per year available, and sometimes takes no civilians at all. As it stands they are just standing up the Navy HPSP psychology program, but I am thinking that they will be planning on awarding between 4-8 of those scholarships (I don't see it getting beyond 8 initially for Navy.) They are also standing up a captive internship program, so ALL USUHS and HPSP Navy students will go to their internship at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Virginia (not far from Virginia Beach).

Mark

PS - Thanks for the compliment.

It's even more strange trying to navigate the USUHS Clinical Psych Program, because the recruiters know very little about a program that has 2 slots per year available, and sometimes takes no civilians at all. As it stands they are just standing up the Navy HPSP psychology program, but I am thinking that they will be planning on awarding between 4-8 of those scholarships (I don't see it getting beyond 8 initially for Navy.) They are also standing up a captive internship program, so ALL USUHS and HPSP Navy students will go to their internship at Portsmouth Naval Hospital in Virginia (not far from Virginia Beach).

Mark

PS - Thanks for the compliment.

so you say possibly 8 for the Navy this year, any idea on how many the army typically takes a year for HPSP?

so you say possibly 8 for the Navy this year, any idea on how many the army typically takes a year for HPSP?

No, I mean that AT MOST, I think they could handle 8 scholarships. Subtract 2 for USUHS students and I think you are looking at more like 6 slots available at Portsmouth for training.

The typical internship class at Bethesda is 6 interns, I think San Diego has room for 6 interns as well. I think that roughly the Navy has been adding about 10-12 psychologists per year through all routes of ascession, and with the opening of Portsmouth that they are planning on increasing it significantly.

The Army has 5 sites, and thus more opportunities for training psychologists, Tripler for instance takes about 5-6 students per year, I would assume that the other sites have similar opportunities. I checked APPIC and the Army has 32 internship slots, subtract 2 for USUHS and the ARMY could not have more than 30 HPSP students, in reality I would expect the Army to have about 1/2 that, so maybe 15 HPSP at most... but this is just a guess.

So I would imagine that if you are wanting an HPSP contract, it's gonna be fairly stiff competition. Fortunately, much of your competition self-selects out because they don't want to join the military.

Mark

Thirdx...
The HPSP details are different between each medical area (MDs, psychs, dentists, etc.). This translates into a difference in number of years covered, number of positions, ease of acceptance, presence or lack of sign-on bonus. To my knowledge, the psych positions only cover as much as 2 years of on campus work, accept significantly fewer applicants, are thereby harder to get into, and lack a signing bonus (no 20k that you may have seen in the same brocures). Roughly 15 slots sounds reasonable (though I never got an official number this year) and I was told it's about a 1 in 5 (20%) acceptance rate.

If you think about it, compared to MDs, etc.: they need fewer psychs because everybody needs a doctor at some point, but not necessarily a therapist; med school costs more overall; MDs have a greater income potential after school than psychs and are therefore harder to retain in the military, etc. All of these things add up to a sexier financial package for other areas. There's been alot of talk about needing more psychs, but I've found nothing about sweeting the deal. Overall, the HPSP program is a better deal than you're going to get most anywhere else, but it has to be realistic or everyone would do it. Finances are a strong motivator, but they can't be the only one.

Thirdx...
The HPSP details are different between each medical area (MDs, psychs, dentists, etc.). This translates into a difference in number of years covered, number of positions, ease of acceptance, presence or lack of sign-on bonus. To my knowledge, the psych positions only cover as much as 2 years of on campus work, accept significantly fewer applicants, are thereby harder to get into, and lack a signing bonus (no 20k that you may have seen in the same brocures). Roughly 15 slots sounds reasonable (though I never got an official number this year) and I was told it's about a 1 in 5 (20%) acceptance rate.

If you think about it, compared to MDs, etc.: they need fewer psychs because everybody needs a doctor at some point, but not necessarily a therapist; med school costs more overall; MDs have a greater income potential after school than psychs and are therefore harder to retain in the military, etc. All of these things add up to a sexier financial package for other areas. There's been alot of talk about needing more psychs, but I've found nothing about sweeting the deal. Overall, the HPSP program is a better deal than you're going to get most anywhere else, but it has to be realistic or everyone would do it. Finances are a strong motivator, but they can't be the only one.

This year after the first AF HPSP board met, they offered nine scholarships. They are convening a second board and I think they'll offer up to 9 more psych scholarships for the 2010-11 year. I believe this is roughly based on the maximum number of residents that they typically accept (18) for the 3 training sites. I'm guessing that the Army offers more scholarships, but roughly the same number per training site.

This year after the first AF HPSP board met, they offered nine scholarships. They are convening a second board and I think they'll offer up to 9 more psych scholarships for the 2010-11 year. I believe this is roughly based on the maximum number of residents that they typically accept (18) for the 3 training sites. I'm guessing that the Army offers more scholarships, but roughly the same number per training site.

Army has 20 scholarships again for Fiscal Year 2011, plus several direct internship slots. We have the most because there is a lot of good work to be done for our troops on the ground. We have a massive fighting force that requires a lot of great psychologists to keep them healthy.

No, I mean that AT MOST, I think they could handle 8 scholarships. Subtract 2 for USUHS students and I think you are looking at more like 6 slots available at Portsmouth for training.

The typical internship class at Bethesda is 6 interns, I think San Diego has room for 6 interns as well. I think that roughly the Navy has been adding about 10-12 psychologists per year through all routes of ascession, and with the opening of Portsmouth that they are planning on increasing it significantly.

The Army has 5 sites, and thus more opportunities for training psychologists, Tripler for instance takes about 5-6 students per year, I would assume that the other sites have similar opportunities. I checked APPIC and the Army has 32 internship slots, subtract 2 for USUHS and the ARMY could not have more than 30 HPSP students, in reality I would expect the Army to have about 1/2 that, so maybe 15 HPSP at most... but this is just a guess.

So I would imagine that if you are wanting an HPSP contract, it's gonna be fairly stiff competition. Fortunately, much of your competition self-selects out because they don't want to join the military.

Mark

To repeat what I said on another question: "Army has 20 scholarships again for Fiscal Year 2011, plus several direct internship slots. We have the most because there is a lot of good work to be done for our troops on the ground. We have a massive fighting force that requires a lot of great psychologists to keep them healthy."

As far as competitiveness goes, do not fool yourself into thinking the competition will self-select out. Many will be weeded out, but the large pool remaining are your competition. The competition will be stiff, and there will be at least two applicants for every available slot. You need to be in the top 40% of a group that is already selected from the the best in the nation. If you have a GPA below 3.2, there is not much use in applying, and the same goes for legal trouble that amounts to anything more than youthful mischief or speeding tickets.

To repeat what I said on another question: "Army has 20 scholarships again for Fiscal Year 2011, plus several direct internship slots. We have the most because there is a lot of good work to be done for our troops on the ground. We have a massive fighting force that requires a lot of great psychologists to keep them healthy."

Thanks for the actual numbers, being out of the loop I had to take a wild guess based on some random facts. Glad to see that I wasn't too horribly off.

As far as competitiveness goes, do not fool yourself into thinking the competition will self-select out.
In all fairness, I stated that it would still be fairly stiff competition. It's great to see an Army representative providing accurate information here!

Mark