Biomajir

OKSU C/O 2013
10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2008
Stillwater
Status
Veterinary Student
Does anyone know anything about the army vet corp? I have seen some information on it and I guess I just don't understand. Do you get shipped over seas and have to fight or what? Realizing all the debt it would help alleviate makes it an attractive option but I just do not know enough about it.

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2007
Columbia, Missouri
Status
Veterinarian
I shadowed with a DVM/PhD who was in the Army Veterinary Corps. From what I remember, you had to do 3 years of active duty and 5 years of reserve. She said you're actually more likely to be deployed if you're in reserve and have a little bit more say if you stay active duty rather than staying in reserve. Especially if you're at all interested in public health, they really like doing post graduate work and training in stuff like epidemiology and infectious disease.

If you're deployed either to Iraq or Afghanistan, you'll probably be either taking care of the military working animals (mostly the working dogs) and/or helping with food inspection. But that's not the only things, just the most common. When you're stateside, there's a couple things you can do. I would have LOVED to go to Lackland Air Force Base near San Antonio and work with their military working dogs. They also need equine vets to look after their ceremony and parade horses and I think that's somewhere in the southeast.

The vet I shadowed was the head vet for the base at Offutt AFB in Omaha, so she took office calls for vaccinations, wellness checks, allergy consults, that sort of thing. Nothing real difficult. I don't think she said she had to do off hours emergency stuff. If I recall, you go in as a captain with that pay plus an additional salary/stipend. Really good benefits (usually full medical, dental, etc) plus officer housing. But the scholarships are really competitive, or so I heard from the people in my class who applied this year. Three applied and I think only one got it (he was already in the Army before vet school as well). I would have thought about doing it, especially if I would have gone out of state. My father was in the Army for a long time (22 years) and came out of retirement to go back to Iraq, so I know what it's like. My husband didn't want me to though. Ah well...here's the website on it:

http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/vet/index.jsp

VeterinaryLover

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2007
Bronx, NY
www.facebook.com
Status
Pre-Veterinary
I wanted to Join myself but my parents don't want me too. I want to join because I know that I wont be able to pay for school...But they think that I will have to go out there and fight if they tell me too.....I still want to do it too....But I don't know how to get my parents to say ok...

VAgirl

UC Davis SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2007
Davis, CA
Status
Veterinary Student
But they think that I will have to go out there and fight if they tell me too.....
You really need to do more research on this type of opportunity. Your parents are saying what they are saying because the Army can send you to a war zone. It's not just money for school, it's joining the Army. Don't forget that.

And now I'll be quiet, because there are many people far more qualified than I am who can speak to this.

Rebeki

Wisconsin SVM c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2007
Long Island, NY/Madison, WI
Status
Veterinary Student
You should do a search for this topic in the Veterinary forum. I know there was a thread on this topic and there was an army vet who posted some info. Again, do your research and make an informed decision.