ARNG ASR or Navy HPSP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matkins205

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be starting medical school in the fall and have several options. I'm extremely interested in joining the military and have been for some time now. I'm unsure, though, which is the better deal: ASR or HPSP.

I've started the application process for the ASR program. Lately, though, I've started to think that maybe HPSP is a better deal. The thought of a GMO tour doesn't deter me. Actually, it sounds somewhat interesting. (I'm probably totally naiive in this sentiment)

Also, If I was to take the ASR (which is more than likely the way I'll go), would it be difficult to switch to HPSP say third year or so if I became completely gung-ho for the military?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, If I was to take the ASR (which is more than likely the way I'll go), would it be difficult to switch to HPSP say third year or so if I became completely gung-ho for the military?
No advice on HPSP vs. ASR. I'm prejudiced towards ASR as I found HPSP to be a bad gig financially, but it's a very individual decision. There's a great thread with close to 20 pages on ASR outlining the benefits. There is a very large HPSP thread that talks about the pros and cons. Read both and find which better applies to you.

As for ASR, you have an 8 year MSO, of which 6 years need to be drilling the National Guard. If you go the ASR route and find out that you love the idea of milmed in the Army, by the time you fulfill your ASR drilling obligation (which will happen as you finish residency, before you finish residency, or shortly thereafter, you do have the option of switching over to going full-time Army.

Best of luck with your decision. These are exciting times for you...