ARNG options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrFlyGuy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Is it possible to enlist in the national guard not taking any of their incentive programs in medical school? I know that the minimum requirement is 8 years so let's say I join in my senior year of medical school. I then do a 4 year residency plus a year fellowship (are you deployable during fellowship?). I then have 2 years left over for my commitment where I can be deployable. From what I understand you are deployable only once every 2 years for a 90 day time period so I can be deployed once over my eight year commitment in this scenario, correct? I appreciate the input. Also can I use these years towards a federal retirement or no?

MrFlyGuy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Is it possible to enlist in the national guard not taking any of their incentive programs in medical school? I know that the minimum requirement is 8 years so let's say I join in my senior year of medical school. I then do a 4 year residency plus a year fellowship (are you deployable during fellowship?). I then have 2 years left over for my commitment where I can be deployable. From what I understand you are deployable only once every 2 years for a 90 day time period so I can be deployed once over my eight year commitment in this scenario, correct? I appreciate the input. Also can I use these years towards a federal retirement or no?

MrFlyGuy
Reserve component years cannot be “bought” toward federal civilian retirement if I understand the system properly

I have yet to see any actually written policy against commissioning without incentives although every now and then someone will say a recruiter is trying to say that’s a rule

Is it possible to enlist in the national guard not taking any of their incentive programs in medical school?
Yes.
I know that the minimum requirement is 8 years so let's say I join in my senior year of medical school. I then do a 4 year residency plus a year fellowship (are you deployable during fellowship?). I then have 2 years left over for my commitment where I can be deployable.
Yes. Keep in mind that this is the Army. They can deploy you as a licensed physician, even if you’re in training, but they do not activate residents and fellow are almost always protected from deployment. But it’s the military and if WWIII hits, etc.
From what I understand you are deployable only once every 2 years for a 90 day time period so I can be deployed once over my eight year commitment in this scenario, correct?
There are no regs that I know of that dictate the tempo of deployments as an individual augmentee. That said, a deployment q2 years would be a very heavy deployment schedule for a reserve component physician.

Re: the 90 day period (plus 30 more days for pre-/post-mob if needed)- Keep in mind that this is a policy and can be rescinded at any time. If the military gets rid of it while you are in, there is no grandfathering. It is not contractual, it’s just a contract.
Also can I use these years towards a federal retirement or no?
Your total years in the reserve component count towards your reserve retirement.

The only years you can use towards your federal retirement are the years you were active duty on federal orders.