Aromatherapy in your office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FreudianSlippers

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
For context, I recently started post-doc (hurray!) at a counseling center. During my first supervision session, I noticed that my supervisor had one of those aroma diffusers occasionally spritzing the air. I would have never thought to use one of these in an office, but the subtle smell (lavender-ish) was actually really nice and calming. It got me thinking of possibly getting one for my office. I'd love to hear any thoughts or others' experiences with aroma diffuser in therapy offices. Good choice or not so good?

Members don't see this ad.

I personally like them, but I'd probably not use them in my office out of concerns for sensitivities/allergies. At least not during patient care hours. I have one at home that I enjoy. Of course, I work in a medical setting so it may not translate exactly.

Reactions: 1 user
I would agree to not using them during patient contact hours. I personally am sensitive to incense in all smells and earthy smells that a ton of people love and are popular in like essential oil form. They give me headaches.

On the other hand, candles, air fresheners, and non-earthy scents are fine. Go figure.

The point is, you never know.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Perhaps, as a scientist who bases your professional opinions upon empirical research you should not refer to some good smelling stuff as “aromatherapy”, lest you mislead your patients into a land of woo.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I concur about not using during client hours. Most smelly things with artificially-produced smells (like febreze, most smelly candles, perfumes) give me a headache although most essential oils, if fairly faint, are OK...which is the opposite of one of the above posters. Many clients may love it but you'll occasionally get one that might hate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Perhaps, as a scientist who bases your professional opinions upon empirical research you should not refer to some good smelling stuff as “aromatherapy”, lest you mislead your patients into a land of woo.

haha agreed. For full disclosure, I used the term in the title because I knew a potential controversy would draw a few more views :D

Agree with the above, which is why I usually also recommend that if providers wear cologne/perfume, they do so sparingly.

Yes, it seems like "in moderation" is fitting here. At this point i'm thinking of getting one but only using it several times per day, when client's arent in the room.