Arrest and residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helpchacha

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
edit

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The bigger issue is when it comes time for you to get a state license.

I think it will depend how you are charged. Misdemeanors are usually ok, as far as I can tell. You will have to report it. Don't be afraid to report it though, you sort of have to.

I was charged (not arrested or anything like that) with something minor back before I was even 18...many of us have blemishes on our records (or at least we should, haha). The thing is to just have a blemish, not a gaping wound. ;)

I called the state board I was applying for and the counsel I talked with explained that if one answers 'no' to a question asking about past records and something is dug up, it's way bad news since you then have a CURRENT record of being dishonest.

So on my app, I answered yes, added a page with a paragraph or two explaining things (very brief)...I had my license three weeks later.

For you, what's done is done. Be proactive to make the charge as minimal as possible and report it honestly.

Last edited:
The bigger issue is when it comes time for you to get a state license.

I think it will depend how you are charged. Misdemeanors are usually ok, as far as I can tell. You will have to report it. Don't be afraid to report it though, you sort of have to.

I was charged (not arrested or anything like that) with something minor back before I was even 18...many of us have blemishes on our records (or at least we should, haha). The thing is to just have a blemish, not a gaping wound. ;)

I called the state board I was applying for and the counsel I talked with explained that if one answers 'no' to a question asking about past records and something is dug up, it's way bad news since you then have a CURRENT record of being dishonest.

So on my app, I answered yes, added a page with a paragraph or two explaining things (very brief)...I had my license three weeks later.

For you, what's done is done. Be proactive to make the charge as minimal as possible and report it honestly.
Hi, thanks so much for sharing your story!

I'm mostly worried that most residency programs will ask "Have you ever been arrested?" before match. I just feel like this process is so competitive, even a tiny red flag will be harmful. Do you know if most programs ask this sort of question before match, or after when they are hiring you?

I don't think it would really ever come up out of the blue. They will be able to see it on ERAS. That may affect your chance at an interview depending on several factors (severity of offense, who is reviewing your app, your other stats/app characteristics). I guess it could affect ranking process, but I think it would affect interview invites more. Maybe someone else could comment more on this.

When you get interviews, I don't think it will really come up, although it could. I suppose you could encounter a few interviewers who ask you about it. That is your chance to have an eloquent response to what happened and how you learned from it/grown as a person because of it (without going overboard).

If it's a misdemeanor offense or less, I doubt it would cause too much of a hurdle to getting licensed. Luckily it wasn't illicit substance related. That causes problems when applying for DEA licenses.

In terms of state license, it really comes down to the state/persons reviewing your app. They're the ones who call if a persons character is too questionable for practice of medicine in that state. I don't think a petty theft charge before med school would be too much of a problem, then again, there are no guarantees. Basically, report it when necessary, don't lose too much sleep over it, deal with the related issues at they arise (if they do), and most importantly, don't do anything like that again (but you already know that).

How long is the process going to get dragged out? Will there be an outcome by the time you apply? I think it will be an issue if you are convicted as opposed to just arrested/charged.

I don't think it would really ever come up out of the blue. They will be able to see it on ERAS. That may affect your chance at an interview depending on several factors (severity of offense, who is reviewing your app, your other stats/app characteristics). I guess it could affect ranking process, but I think it would affect interview invites more. Maybe someone else could comment more on this.

When you get interviews, I don't think it will really come up, although it could. I suppose you could encounter a few interviewers who ask you about it. That is your chance to have an eloquent response to what happened and how you learned from it/grown as a person because of it (without going overboard).

If it's a misdemeanor offense or less, I doubt it would cause too much of a hurdle to getting licensed. Luckily it wasn't illicit substance related. That causes problems when applying for DEA licenses.

In terms of state license, it really comes down to the state/persons reviewing your app. They're the ones who call if a persons character is too questionable for practice of medicine in that state. I don't think a petty theft charge before med school would be too much of a problem, then again, there are no guarantees. Basically, report it when necessary, don't lose too much sleep over it, deal with the related issues at they arise (if they do), and most importantly, don't do anything like that again (but you already know that).
Sorry but just to clarify, I would answer "No" to "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" on the ERAS. So the only way that programs would know pre-match list is if they give secondary applications that specifically asks "Have you ever been arrested." In your experience, do many programs give applications that ask this specifically?

How long is the process going to get dragged out? Will there be an outcome by the time you apply? I think it will be an issue if you are convicted as opposed to just arrested/charged.
There will be an outcome by the time I apply, and it will most likely get dismissed for being so minor. I'm fairly confident that I won't have any issue even if it comes up on my record after match day. I just don't want it to blemish any residency applications :(

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry but just to clarify, I would answer "No" to "Have you ever been convicted of a felony" on the ERAS. So the only way that programs would know pre-match list is if they give secondary applications that specifically asks "Have you ever been arrested." In your experience, do many programs give applications that ask this specifically?
If ERAS only asks for felony convictions, you'll be fine (as long as that's true).

For licensing they can ask if you've ever been charged for anything. Wording can be dicey, but in that case you'd have to answer yes.

ERAS asks three questions:
1. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
2. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?
3. Is there anything in your background that would limit your ability to get a license?

ERAS asks three questions:
1. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
2. Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor?
3. Is there anything in your background that would limit your ability to get a license?

Do most residency programs inquire further about arrests in an application given before/during the interview?

It was a very dumb lapse in judgement and I should have never been coerced into doing it. It was not alcohol or substance related. The outcome of this case is still to be determined (dismissed, convicted, etc.)

You'll want to change how you discuss this topic with the quickness.

If you showed up explaining to me about how, as a full grown adult with a college education, you were coerced into a dumb lapse in judgement, it wouldn't matter what it was. It could be a parking violation. The fact that you frame it with dodged responsibility is all I need to know about you.

Reactions: 4 users
OP - are you an adult? Were you intoxicated??

I'm just trying to figure out how an adult can be "coerced" into committing a crime....

More realistically, I think the "lapse in judgement" occurred when the admissions committee decided to accept you.