arrogance on this forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShannonIV

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, the internetz is serious business. But still, it bothers me when people act like they are all-knowing about pharmacy. Flame away, I don't care, but the tone of this board used to be a lot more friendly.

Members don't see this ad.

computers now have the ability to sense "tone"???????

this will eliminate 92% of the "sarcastic" misinterpretations currently experienced by today's typical internet user

time to upgrade my laptop

do you think your patients are going to be the nicest people?

it's a fact of life, some people are jerks, some people are nice...we have both on this forum.

i don't see what the point of this thread is

Members don't see this ad :)
just because there are jerks in real life doesn't mean I want to see them on the internet. Jerks are jerks and I don't like them in either setting.

Just so you all know...I am nice. I'm a nice person.
ROFL

I feel silly today. OH IMPORTANT INFORMATION TO FOLLOW:

Jack Johnson's NEW CD is coming to stores ON TUESDAY!! :love:

This very important announcement brought to you by the letter J and the number 1

Yes, the internetz is serious business. But still, it bothers me when people act like they are all-knowing about pharmacy. Flame away, I don't care, but the tone of this board used to be a lot more friendly.

Really? I'm the least self-centered person I know!

I am the most humble man alive.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=5748799&postcount=268

I was talking to some guy about interview questions and mentioned that my interviewer had asked me to say 3 positive attributes someone would use to describe me, when he cut me off and said ME TOO! and went on to say how he bombed it and I was trying to say it couldnt be that bad when he told me what he said... Interviewer: what is an adjective a friend would use to describe you? Him: BRILLIANT! Interviewer: (silence) 20 sec pause. Interviewer: ok...whats one more adjective? Him: umm...humble??Lol

just because there are jerks in real life doesn't mean I want to see them on the internet. Jerks are jerks and I don't like them in either setting.

+pity+

do you want some tissue?

What the hell are you talking about?!?!? Shawnrx when you get banned your not supposed to sign up with another name.....

alright... I'll try to be less all knowing and friendlier..

How would you dose a patient who is 180 kg on Vancomycin with an abdominal wound?

Well,

It will first have to be determined that the wound is in fact causing an infection and the infecting organism is MRSA. In case of MSSA, I would opt for a beta-Lactam and/or clinidamycin since we tend to believe that beta-Lactam is more efficacious than a glycopeptide.

The patient seems obese at 180kg unless he/she is 8 ft. Hence we will need to calculate an appropriate dosing weight because Vancomycin penetration to adipose tissue is limited (10-40%). So we need the patient's height.

Dosing weight = IBW + 0.4(Actual Weight - IBW)

For a serious wound infection or cellulitis with MRSA, I would recommend the trough between 15 to 20 ug/ml. Therefore we need to target Cmax of 40ug/ml.

Loading Dose = Vd x Cmax
Vd = 0.7L/kg x Dosing Weight

LD = Vd x 40ug/ml

This usually translates to 25mg/kg X Dosing weight.

Then you can estimate CrCl using Cockroft Gault equation (not MDRD) then estimate the frequency using Matzke Nomogram.

If serum levels are available during the course of therapy, we can always use the following equation to calculate Ke and t1/2

Ke = ln (C1-C2)/t1-t2
T1/2 = 0.693/Ke