Art Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turtmd

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't applied to Dental school yet, but is there a question on the application about art classes or hobbies where you can demonstrate manual dexterity? I haven't taken any art classes in college, but I took sawing, crafts and art when I was in high school. My dad is an artist and he used to teach art classes so my art training hasn't been "formal". Do you think this helps or should I enroll in some art classes?? +pity+

Members don't see this ad.

turtmd said:
I haven't applied to Dental school yet, but is there a question on the application about art classes or hobbies where you can demonstrate manual dexterity? I haven't taken any art classes in college, but I took sawing, crafts and art when I was in high school. My dad is an artist and he used to teach art classes so my art training hasn't been "formal". Do you think this helps or should I enroll in some art classes?? +pity+

As long as you have a history of dabbling in the arts and have some current hobbies that show manual dexterity (art-related or not), I think you'll be fine. Take art courses only if you have time for them--and they can be time consuming... Drawing I is 6 hours/week at my univ. and I hear that there is also plenty of outside work. Throw some hard sciences courses on that and you might go insane. I think adcoms would rather see that you've done well in your science courses than taken a huge amount of art classes.

wigglytooth said:
As long as you have a history of dabbling in the arts and have some current hobbies that show manual dexterity (art-related or not), I think you'll be fine. Take art courses only if you have time for them--and they can be time consuming... Drawing I is 6 hours/week at my univ. and I hear that there is also plenty of outside work. Throw some hard sciences courses on that and you might go insane. I think adcoms would rather see that you've done well in your science courses than taken a huge amount of art classes.

so i threw a meaningless spanish class for 6 hours a week for no reason???!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
i gotta a girlfriend
she goes to art school
i gotta an art school girlfriend yeah!

americanpierg said:
so i threw a meaningless spanish class for 6 hours a week for no reason???!!!!!

apples and oranges. the op said he already had some familiarity with art, so it could be a waste of his time if he feels like he needs to take an art class *just* to get into dental school.