art= humanities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lechatton

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I am a bit unclear about the info page on vmcas concerning pre-reqs and reporting all your classes.

I took a drawing class. It was in the Art department, not art history but studio art. Does this count under humanities as "art:"

Humanities courses include literature, art and music appreciation, foreign language studies, linguistics, philosophy, and religion.

Or, should I just put it as "other."

Any help greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

the instruction tab at the top of academic courses is pretty clear (not trying to be a jerk) just read point #11. i got a fine art degree and have a lot under this category.

that thing i posted about humanities courses WAS copied from point 11 of academic courses tab under vmcas.

i copied it because it says "art and music appreciation," which upon first reading made me think of art history or music history. my drawing class was a studio art class but also had some art history thrown in there.

so no, i don't think it's necessarily clear, because the term appreciation is really broad.

my question was to anyone who had taken a STUDIO art class, which my drawing class was, does it better fit in humanities or other class type?

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess the take home message is put whatever you think is best. you really only need to classify classes that are prerequisites. if you categorize it incorrectly, the schools you are applying to will ask for clarification from your institution.

that producion fine art also teaches one about the overall appreciation of art - how the creator appreciates it and how others do or do not appreciate it.