Art Major?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pharmtobe123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have quick question, I am a junior and applied to pharmacy school this cycle and got rejected. I want to try again next year and keep on trying to get into pharm school, but in the meantime I have to declare a major.

I'm done with almost all my science prerequisite and have a 3.1 math/science GPA. I know what major a person has shouldn't matter. I don't want to go into the "typical biology major" and want to major in something that I enjoy. Before being a freshman in college I was very heavily involved in art at my high school and really enjoy it. I have an artistic ability and want to study something that I enjoy.

My question is since my GPA is not that great do I have to go into some sort of science major to prove to the admission committee that I can handle upper level science courses? Or should should I just pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and take extra science courses to show that I can handle the course load?

I just don't want the admission committee to think that this person is taking an easier route by not picking a science related major... or this person can't do well on his/her science courses. (sigh)

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure, but I know there is a VCU student that got accepted as a theater major, so I guess it can be done.

A kid I know was an english major and decided at the last minute to take science classes and pursue pharmacy. I think that you should go for the art, but still take some upper level science classes to hopefully increase your GPA.
Personal opinion though. You never know what a school will want.

Members don't see this ad :)
How about the best of both worlds...art major and biology minor...that way you can show to the adcoms you can handle upper level bio coursework but you're not a flat science student either. I think it's great you're doing art and you should pursue it. I took a lot of upper level English courses and got As in them and although I probably won't finish the major, I think it looks really good that I can do well in both fields, which are polar opposites, whereas a lot of pre-pharmacy students struggle with English/reading comprehension/verbal, etc. I think it makes you stand out if you pursue an art major and it makes you look interesting. You can offer something many people cannot do! Plus just finishing a bachelor's degree is a step-up of what most pre-pharmacy students do.

I believe it doesn't matter what you major in, as long as you complete ALL the prerequisites of the pharmacy school you are intending on applying to. How many schools did you apply to? What is your Science, Overall GPA, and PCAT ? Just wondering because 3.1 isn't that bad.

The situation is funny, I actually had a Pharmacist at work who was an Art Major and had no problem getting in and receiving his degree.

Shouldn't be a problem at all so long as you perform well in your pre-requisites and you take a couple upper division science classes also. I'm sure you can fit them in.

My GPA used to be a 3.2 but dropped due to Organic Chemistry. I received C's in both organic lab and class and most of my undergraduate prerequisites I received B's in. So my GPA has always been around a 3.0-3.3, not much higher than that. My PCAT was around 65% so not that great.

My GPA used to be a 3.2 but dropped due to Organic Chemistry. I received C's in both organic lab and class and most of my undergraduate prerequisites I received B's in. So my GPA has always been around a 3.0-3.3, not much higher than that. My PCAT was around 65% so not that great.

the 65th percentile PCAT is just barely above minimum requirements for most schools that I looked at, so plan to improve that as your first act, for sure.

Hey guys,

My question is since my GPA is not that great do I have to go into some sort of science major to prove to the admission committee that I can handle upper level science courses? Or should should I just pursue a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree and take extra science courses to show that I can handle the course load?

I just don't want the admission committee to think that this person is taking an easier route by not picking a science related major... or this person can't do well on his/her science courses. (sigh)

I'm reading these posts as an "Art Major" (at VCU, one of the very best art schools in the country, but a very mediocre gen-ed university), looking for suggestions of what med schools might/possibly/maybe give me credit for the butt-kicking, soul-sucking rigors of art school (and a GPA that repeatedly suffered from the prejudices of crazy professors--and I mean, bat-**** certifiably crazy and emotionally abusive professors grading on purely subjective scales). Art won't detract from your perceived "intelligence," even if your peers sometimes will seem drug-addled and illiterate. But if your science grades aren't so hot, you might want to put the time into tugging those scores up: if you go into art, like I said, your grades will be subjective and rather independent of talent and intelligence--by contrast, I will forever find the cold, hard grades of sciences comforting and reassuring. My vote: don't do the art, which is much more limiting than you could guess at this point; but if your "art major" is a two-year program, that is quite possibly a very different story from the four-year program I have come to regret so thoroughly.

Last edited:
"I have an artistic ability and want to study something that I enjoy."

Then I suggest taking some local drawing/painting classes. And focus on taking college courses that prove you are a capable student. Def need to make up for C's in Orgo and a low PCAT (def retake btw, you can definitely do better, my first score was horrid and then a little more studying and there was a huge jump!)

I say better safe then sorry!!!

GL

Hey guys,

I have quick question, I am a junior and applied to pharmacy school this cycle and got rejected. I want to try again next year and keep on trying to get into pharm school, but in the meantime I have to declare a major.

I'm done with almost all my science prerequisite and have a 3.1 math/science GPA. I know what major a person has shouldn't matter. I don't want to go into the "typical biology major" and want to major in something that I enjoy. Before being a freshman in college I was very heavily involved in art at my high school and really enjoy it. I have an artistic ability and want to study something that I enjoy.