1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Article availability

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by epidural man, Jul 23, 2011.

1. epidural man

epidural man ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The thought occurred to me that I am somewhat spoiled in that I have a lot of academic literature available to me - and I am sure I take it for granted - and there is still a lot I can't get immediately (and have to ask the librarian to get stuff - but I have never been turned down). I bet at Duke or something, they have online access to about everything.

I am wondering, how do private practice guys get articles?

There is no way I would spend 30-40$ to download an article to see if infraclavicular blocks work better than supraclavicular blocks, or to determine if ventilating a healthy patient for elective surgery with 600 cc/kg VS 1000cc/kg is better. And I think I would be unlikely to take time off of work to go to the library or medical center to copy it out of the journal.

The truth is, a PP physician can practice anesthesia exactly how they were the day they left residency and be very safe, effective and skilled.

I like reading stuff and trying new things and challenging dogma, etc. I think that would be hard without access to the journals.

Anyway, just curious. It is for that reason I have started attaching a lot of articles in some of my posts...and I will continue to do so.

(One can read abstracts, but they lie...and the devil is often in the study details and methods)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. silvester78

2+ Year Member

I work in a european country. Here our national anesthesiology society has institutional access to some anesthesiology and pain journals. So all the members can download the full articles. Also the european sociery of anesthesiologists send us the european journal and provides us online access to Current opinion in anesthesiology and Current opinion in critical care. I think that' s more than enough. I can hardly read four or five full articles per month (especially the reviews).
    Even someone has no full access to current issues, most journals every month had some free stuff and offer their full content six months to two years after their publication. So i don't think it's difficult even for a non subscriber to any journal to be up to date.

4. sevoflurane

15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am wondering, how do private practice guys get articles?

Anesthesia and Analgesia
    Anesthesiology
    Couple 'a conferences a year
    SDN
    Friends and collegues in the biz

Our hospital gets us any article we want however.....

And yes... any abstract or journal can be made to look better than it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Reuben

:nono::nono:

5. periopdoc

periopdoc Cardiac Anesthesiologist
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Of course we subscribe to the major journals which gives us online access to the archives.

A few ways to get articles in journals you don't subscribe to...

1 - Maintain an affiliation with an academic institution with good ejournal access (pretty easy really). Univ. Washington has great access.

2 - Maintain a license in a state like Washington which has a large rural population and provides ejournal access.

3 - Most important hospital libraries can ILL articles that you request. Give a list to the librarian and in a short while copies will appear in your mailbox. Not as efficient as the ejournals, but does work.

- pod

6. loveoforganic

loveoforganic -Account Deactivated-
    2+ Year Member

:eek: Holy crap. Never heard of him