Article discussion: Maldistribution of pediatric work force

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

oldbearprofessor

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/peds.2010-0150v1

My understanding is that this is a free article. (EDIT: It says this on the pediatrics home page but when I tried to download it, it wasn't free, only the abstract).

The conclusion is that there is a "profound maldistribution of physician resources" related to pediatric care.

What do you think? What incentives might/should be considered to solve this problem and who should pay for them?
 
Doesn't it also claim that the growth of child physician has outpaced the growth of children in the population?
 
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/peds.2010-0150v1

My understanding is that this is a free article. (EDIT: It says this on the pediatrics home page but when I tried to download it, it wasn't free, only the abstract).

The conclusion is that there is a "profound maldistribution of physician resources" related to pediatric care.

What do you think? What incentives might/should be considered to solve this problem and who should pay for them?

The geographic disparity exists because many physicians wish to practice in larger communities. Work opportunities for spouses and quality schools are also major drivers of physician choice. At least, that's my personal experience and the reasons that most of the other residents and docs I have spoken with give.

I considered a job in a more rural community (which paid twice what I'll get in my metro locale), but my family's interests in work and school won out.

I think we should make the insurance company execs pay for higher salaries for rural docs. :meanie: (and yes, I know that doesn't really work...)
 
Anecdotally (which I realize is worth nothing), I can state that I grew up in a rather rural area where there were lots of family medicine doctors but not many general pediatricians. Living in various cities over the past few years, I've noticed a lot of pediatricians, and that family medicine docs generally don't see many kids as patients. When I get a minute, I'll have to download the article to take a look at the full thing.