Articulators

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokiedds

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if dental schools require you to buy a certain type of articulator or do you get to choose which one you buy. What kinds of articulators do you all have and how do you like them? Also, do they require you to buy Fox planes/facebows as well?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait and see what your school tells you before you buy anything. My school likes us all to have the same models so it makes it easy on the lab.

if you have a choice, check out the complete SAM3 system with the magnetic inserts, oh I'm dreaming again...I thought Dental School might actually give us a choice as to how we spend OUR money.

Members don't see this ad :)
kerrydds06 said:
if you have a choice, check out the complete SAM3 system with the magnetic inserts, oh I'm dreaming again...I thought Dental School might actually give us a choice as to how we spend OUR money.

Heh, agreed.

We were given Whip-mix articulators/facebows/yadayadayada as a gift.

kerrydds06 said:

Funny you should mention that...I work at my dads dental office as an assistant during the summers and he just got the SAM3 this summer. That thing is amazing...it makes things so much easier and the two or three denture cases I saw him do with it required almost no adjustment when they were delivered. I was hoping that if we didnt have one required, I could use a little of my loan money to invest in an articulator that I would actually use in private practice.

At UCLA, all first years get Waterpik Denar for fixed prosthodontics and then in the second year we get an Ivoclar Stratus for dentures along with the GC surveyor. We have the Fox plane and Slidematic facebow, but no magnetic mounts.

We use the Whip Mix Semi-adjustable arcon articulator. I like it, but I haven't had any experience with a different articulator. Everyone is the class was issued the same articulator in our first-year kits.

At USC. we use the Panadent Articulator. I don't remember the model but its quite nice

We were issued the Whip Mix Semi-adjustable arcon articulator. I wouldn't purchase one as it will probably be in your issue.