As a premed student, is a bioe major and a cs minor too much?

neurogirl07

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Though I'm an incoming freshman, I have enough credits to be considered a sophomore. I'm also not 100% sure medical school is right for me, hence the cs minor (I've considered a double major as well. If medical school doesn't work out, I can always change the cs minor to a major and complete a minor in bioe instead.)

My eventual goal is to study something in either neuroscience or AI.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok so I know how you are feeling. I was a "freshmenn" last year classified as a sophmore. My best advice is to know your limitations and if you can handle it. I would suggest making your first semester your trial semester and taking 3 easy classes like psych or sociology and one science course and one cs course. See if you can handle last load first. If you get an A on all the classes by the end of the semester without needing to stress to much on your classes. Go ahead and pursue that. If you find yourself struggling, I highly recommend doing something that would put less stress on you. Best of luck

You can major exclusively in computer science and still be a candidate for medical school. Medical schools do not require specific undergraduate majors or programs. Don't major in biology just because you think it'll get you into medical school; feel free to study what you wish. All that matters is that you complete prerequisites for med admissions and do well in these classes. x

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what you want and make sure that you are passionate about it. Besides pre-reqs, it seems that not any specific major/minor class etc will look more impressive than others. Is CS necessary for you is the question.

You can definitely do neuro or AI in relation to medical or not. If that requires CS, do it. If not, why bother?

I kind of agree with @gothicfoxes. It seems like CS is what you actually want to do. You can major in that but just understand that you must complete pre-reqs on the side. Generally, 1 year of general bio, 1 year of inorganic chem, year of organic chem, 1 year of physics, semester of biochem, 1 year of social sciences (socio/psych), and 1 year of english (which is required anyway).

Won't be a walk in the park but its definitely do-able

Nope go for it if you're interested in the material. I'm a Bioengineering major and a Math minor at a top 10 school currently applying to med schools. Getting a great GPA is still possible although you might be studying more than what you'd do with other majors. You'll get cool academic opportunities though with BioE.

1 Your actual major doesn't really play a role in admissions. It does play in a potential role in fulfilling prereqs and preparing for the MCAT.
2. Consider your options if you don't go to medical school. I was a biology major if I hadn't gotten in, I'm really not sure what I would have done. CS would have given me more options.