As if anesthesiology didn't have enough problems already

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

martinri

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"Awake is a 2007 thriller/drama film written and directed by Joby Harold and set for release late 2007. It stars Hayden Christensen and Jessica Alba. The film is rated R for language, an intense disturbing situation, and brief drug use.

The story focuses on a man (Christensen) who suffers "anesthetic awareness" and finds himself awake and aware, but paralyzed, during heart surgery. His young wife (Alba) must wrestle with her own demons as a drama unfolds around them."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awake_(film)

Can wait for the media frenzy and circus about intraop awareness once the movie opens.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking forward to it cuz I like to blast my peeps with midazzz. If you're a good anesthesiologist, you should be able to inspire confidence in people. perhaps you could invest in some aspect stock cuz the BIS may become increasingly popular.

I'm looking forward to it cuz I like to blast my peeps with midazzz. If you're a good anesthesiologist, you should be able to inspire confidence in people. perhaps you could invest in some aspect stock cuz the BIS may become increasingly popular.

I thought "ASPECT" paid for the movie.:laugh: This way they can sell even more of their crap to all the hospitals. We have at least a dozen BIS monitors and for the neophyte they may be useful. Other than Cardiac cases, I rarely use the monitor. More hype than anything else but hype sells, doesn't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just having some fun at Aspect's expense.

There are uses for BIS on surgical patients:

1. Concerned Patients about awareness (we get a few of those, more soon)
2. Cardiac Surgeon had a patient 12 years ago claim awareness. Since then Isoflurane vaporizers added to CPB and BIS used routinely.
3. ASA 4 patient under GA. We like to run them as light as possible but without awareness. These old folks only need an expired SEVO reading of 0.4% to get a BIS of 40 or less. Very useful for maintaining BP and keeping the Phenylephrine drip to a minimum
4. Several cases of Patients on ACE inhibitors and/or Calcium Channel Blockers with extremely low BP during GA. It helps to have a BIS so we can keep the vapor to a minimum.
5. Outpatient surgery- not as helpful as I thought it would be. Healthy patients tolerate SEVO well and as long as you anticipate/know the surgeon having the patient awake at the end is easy.
6. Carotid Surgery- We have several 5 lead BIS monitors. A few of the Vascular surgeons like the split screen (processed EEG) to monitor both sides of the brain (frontal area). This is of marginal (if any) value for detecting Brain ischemia secondary to decreased Carotid blood flow. But, the surgeons like the screen and the numbers.

Regardless, BIS plus monitoring of exhaled gases (Sevo, DES, Iso, etc) can be quite helpful.

With the movie "AWAKE" expect a visit from your local Aspect rep. We get lunch and good pens from them. Maybe, I should ask for a T-Shirt as well.:laugh:

I am for anything, especially a mass market communication like a movie, that informs the public about the danger and seriousness of anesthesia. I hope it makes the public more concerned about the expertise of who is providing their anesthesia -- I hope it pushes them to ask about the qualifications and training of who will be watching over them. I really think public education can be a crucial tool in the MD vs CRNA struggle.:thumbup:

I am for anything, especially a mass market communication like a movie, that informs the public about the danger and seriousness of anesthesia. I hope it makes the public more concerned about the expertise of who is providing their anesthesia -- I hope it pushes them to ask about the qualifications and training of who will be watching over them. I really think public education can be a crucial tool in the MD vs CRNA struggle.:thumbup:

You are not serious are you?
this movie is made to make money, and the only way you make money in movies is by is by being as outrageous and dramatic as possible.
They don't want to educate anyone, where do you think you are? Europe?:)