1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

As it goes

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by rdhdds1, Dec 2, 2008.

1. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    time as it often does tends to make things not so bad. Afte my disappointing Dec 1st (by not hearing form the schools I interviewed at) I decided to inquire as to my exact status at each.

Both said that I am on the alternate/waitlist. Both also said that it is very possible to be picked up before the end of the cycle. When I inquired as to how each school handles the alternate/waitlist they stated that once all the applicants have been accepted all the alternates are placed in one group and as accepted students drop out/don't respond then they pretty much go through another round of evals for the alternate/waitlisted individuals and choose from the ones that filter to the top.

Neither school identified a specific order to the list in how individuals and in what order they will be looked at.

For all those in the same boat I guess only time will tell. Good luck to all and I am starting to study for my retake of the DAT in January.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrOops

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Why did you withdraw from so many schools pre-interview? You might have had a chance being accepted to those. Even though it is not your top choice, it is still better than nothing.

4. dent2009

dent2009 YEEE BOI
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    $$$ could always be an issue.

5. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Good attitude towards the situation, especially at MWU the list should more pretty good with this economy and their tuition prices. I will be calling tomorrow and can only hope for the same good news that I might still have a shot there.

6. Chesnok

Chesnok Waiting game has ended
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Jake8 , I think you have to be OK with your DAT scores, esp. at your state school.

Good luck.

7. Jake8

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks Chesnok but with only three interviews and no acceptances I am anxious. However regardless I won't lose hope and will fight the good fight till I get in either this cycle or five years down the line.

8. DiNoZeRo2o9

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Look on the bright side, you can still do hygiene until you get in and make a decent living!

I'm sure you will get into a school Jake

9. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Not that I want to delve to much into my personal life but at the end of June I lost my job and have been unemployed (except for occasional temp work) now for about 4.5 months.

At my last office, which had only been open for about 1.5 years (I had been there since it opened), the owner doc said that he had to reduce his overhead and could not afford to have me on board anymore (economic downturn hit him hard). Purely business. I understood but did not realize that the temp situation would be as sparse as it is.

So the reason I withdrew was for monetary reasons. Saving money and trying to keep my house over my families head seemed more important than flying all over the country for interviews. But then again maybe I am wrong.

10. somethinpositiv

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Damn dude. Good luck this cycle, hopefully things will work out with you and ASDOH or Midwestern.

However, if you do have to reapply, you might want to apply to different schools, since you applied to a lot of schools that don't really accept out-of-state applicants (I think you knew that to some degree, based on some of the schools you withdrew from).

If you were to reapply, add to ASDOH, Midwestern, UNLV, Louisville the following: Western U, USC, Creighton, Buffalo, Nova, Tennessee, Indiana, Temple, BU, Tufts, and NYU. In my opinion, that would give you the best chances of acceptance. Good luck.

11. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I appreciate the sentiment and I have added the above referenced schools to my future application list if I should need it.

12. Albuterol

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey rdhdds1, i hope u get in, im rooting for ya!

13. rdhdds1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thanks Mr. Asthma:D. Life can be extremely frustrating and overshadowed by what it throws at you. I am hopeful and optimistic that I shall be chosen off of the alternate/waitlist at either school.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.