As soon to be med students figure out how to afford it

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetpeamd09

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I know we who are entering, or who have already entered school may at this pt. be trying to figure out how the he!! we are going to afford this major investment.

So, maybe people could post how they are planning to/have already found little hints on how to budget during/afford med school.

For those looking @ private loans right now...
Check out suzeorman.com... that woman is a goddess (she was once young, fabulous and broke too <---her book). :) She has lots of great ideas on budgeting, acquiring low-interest loans, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

well i'm absolutely terrible with money and my family knows it. it drives my dad crazy, so he is going to get me quicken and show me all the little features it has so that i can track my spending. i figure that will help me personally. another thing that will help me is using public transportation and walking more, because gas is so expensive now. don't know what to say about loans, because i'm still waiting on my detailed financial aid info.

sweetpeamd09 said:
For those looking @ private loans right now...
Check out suzeorman.com... that woman is a goddess (she was once young, fabulous and broke too <---her book). :) She has lots of great ideas on budgeting, acquiring low-interest loans, etc.

Yikes. I'm not looking forward to finding private loans. Did you actually find her book useful? I wonder if my wonderful local library has it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
tinkerbelle said:
Yikes. I'm not looking forward to finding private loans. Did you actually find her book useful? I wonder if my wonderful local library has it :)

I have not gotten very far... I will let you know in a few days how helpful it has been. So far it's pretty good.

tinkerbelle said:

Check out a few pages of it ... then, if you like it, I hope your wonderful local library does in fact have it.

tinkerbelle said:

I found her book to be very useful. I listen to her a lot and she has some really great ideas. The book is great because she is straightforward with it, she says things like, if this section doesn't apply to don't waste your time right now, move on to the one that does. JMHO