asd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lmao he posted the same thing to r/medicine and said keyboard warriors on here got triggered. :rofl:

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao he posted the same thing to r/medicine and said keyboard warriors on here got triggered. :rofl:
Triggered implies that we have some kind of emotional response to this. Nothing about the situation will affect me or anyone I care about. If he gets the tattoo and makes it through medical school and residency to become a successful doctor, great. We always need more. If he gets the tattoo and gets kicked out of med school or residency. No skin off my back.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Sounds like he got triggered by the negative responses and looked for a safe space where people wouldn't criticize him for it lol.

I feel like most of these replies aren't even negative, it's just like hey man that's clearly a bad idea.

I am 100% pro tattoo. To me, it is very normal that someone would decide they want a hand tattoo, and even decide on the gun/knife/skull/weapon/etc content (I have friends that have tattoos of a similar style that cover their entire body excluding their face but including their head).

But what is just very hard for me to believe is that someone would casually say it isn't a hassle to cover by wearing gloves for the majority of their waking hours, say "you wouldn't even notice it" to something you clearly would notice (regardless of if you support it or not), and literally FAKE BREAKING THEIR ARM anytime it needs to be covered. And would refuse to wait a couple of years to possibly prevent potentially harming their entire professional career.

It isn't the tattoo that seems crazy to me, but this amount of mental gymnastics just seems so unlikely.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
How about pathology? Seems like it wouldn't bother anyone getting an autopsy!
Probably true! And the hand could be covered for meetings and presentations.

Reactions: 1 user
Assuming you're not trolling, I have a fully visible forearm tattoo of potentially "violent" imagery (albeit softened by the presence of other non-threatening nature motifs), and no one, patient or attending, has ever said anything negative about it. In fact, if anyone ever comments on it, it's to tell me how cool/pretty/awesome it is. I freely wear short-sleeve scrubs all the time and have occasionally worn short sleeve shirts or rolled up sleeves in clinic. Granted, the city that my school is located in is a heavily tattooed city so me having a tattoo probably didn't even register for a lot of patients. However, I also didn't get any negative comments from patients/attendings during my away rotation in a completely different geographic region either. I was really hesitant to get the tattoo because of how visible it is/what it depicts given the ~*~professionalism~*~ and conservatism of the medical field, but I thought it was more important to me to get the meaningful tattoo I wanted where I wanted it because it'll be with me forever. Medicine is just a job for me at the end of the day, and it won't be there for me as long as my tattoo will. So all that to say, get whatever tattoo you want if it's meaningful for you because it's not likely to hold you back that much if you're professional in other ways.

Real talk though, hand tattoos kinda suck because they fade super quick. The skin on your hands is so different from the skin on the rest of your body, and you use your hands a ton. If you want your tattoo to not fade in like a year, I would skip getting one on your hand.

Reactions: 2 users
You’ll also note that the question is framed completely differently in each place lol. Of course you’re going to get very different responses to “have your tattoos ever been an issue” and “should I get an offensive hand tattoo”

If the premise of this thread had been the first question, then no. So far only complements on my visible tattoo!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm planning on getting some ink that might be hard to cover up (on hand). It might be a bird, skull, snake, dagger, gun, weapon, etc. Might be one of those or not one of those -- don't want to be too specific.

I know tattoos are probably fine, and I don't care what others think unless it significantly impacts me professionally.
While medicine is definitely a more conservative field, I certainly see a lot more ink on people than I used to including on physicians. I personally prefer needles to point away from me towards patients, so not planning on getting anything on me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
All makes sense now. Tbh based on the Reddit history, I’d pay the OP to not operate on me.
People think I’m kinda harsh and judgmental on here, but I feel like I’ve got a good sense of sniffing out the crazy and keeping them far away from my patients! There are few things scarier than a bad surgeon with poor judgment.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Certainly some rude comments.. by people with their own sordid pasts no less, but you certainly didn't do yourself any favors OP.

Subjectivity is such a large part of clinical grades, and I'm not sure why you'd want to make it harder on yourself to do well.

I'm not a regular reddit user. I haven't been able to find his thread. Any suggestions? TIA.
Tried to PM you but doesn't look like your profile is open to view. You may have to PM me first. It will be worth it. This individual's reddit is a real treat.

Tried to PM you but doesn't look like your profile is open to view. You may have to PM me first. It will be worth it. This individual's reddit is a real treat.
Just don’t view it at Starbucks or a library or something

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users